SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:41 PM   #21
TXVue04
Advanced Member
TXVue04 is on a distinguished road

I think your letter is great, send them pictures of 10 year old Saturns that look like brand new, feel free to pull the one of my 95 SC2 from the gallery. I had three reasons for purchasing another Saturn: Service, Good options for the price, and polymer panels. Good job, I hope they listen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXVue04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXVue04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2004, 01:06 AM   #22
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Definately, the polymer must stay. Just look at all the 90's SL's, it is hard to find one that doesn't look new. our cars have been involved in accidents and come out undented and scratch free soley because of the polymer panels.

Food for thought, if they do go alloy instead of polymer, insurance rates will go up because of higher or more frequent part replacement costs! The virtually indestructible panels are one major reason why it is so easy to insure a Saturn.

IMHO, if polymer panels were ever fazed out, Saturn faces becoming just another car and will most likely go in the direction of Oldsmobile, due to loss of customer interest.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #23
thewretched
thewretched is on a distinguished road

Nice letter, though I don't think I want a plastic roof and hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thewretched's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thewretched reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2004, 01:00 PM   #24
Skuterdude
Skuterdude is on a distinguished road

We moved my wife from a 1992 Ford Explorer to a 2004 Saturn VUE.....the Polymer panels were a huge reason to go to Saturn and I can't stand GM........the 12 year old Explorer looked like hell!...even though it still ran good.........it had nicks all over it......

If Saturn goes to steel this will definetaly be my first & last!!

2004 VUE AWD Honda V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Skuterdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Skuterdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:25 PM   #25
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

the irony with the metal relay is that it's a descendant of plastic vans, like indyvues.

the european renault espace, europes first minivan, was plastic, from it's intro in 1984 to 200...2? i think the new one was intro'd 2003 year....

i don't think the espace and GM vans used the same kind of plastic tho....i'm not sure...

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #26
Swizelman45
Advanced Member
Swizelman45 is on a distinguished road

May be a tad off topic, but it ties in with polymer panels. I was in a Pontiac dealership and I was looking at the new Grand Prix. Does it have sheetmetal or some sort of plastic? It did not feel or sound like sheetmetal at all.

Current Vehicles:
2003 Acura 3.2CL
2000 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swizelman45's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swizelman45 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2004, 08:51 PM   #27
Caprice
Advanced Member
Caprice is on a distinguished road

The bastages are stealing our plastic!!!!!

~ Simplicity is Beauty.
"Who needs electronic locks and windows, power steering, or automatic sliding
doors if you can trade it all for a little excersise and some spare change?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Caprice's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Caprice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2004, 11:27 AM   #28
DP49657
DP49657 is on a distinguished road

Take the polomer out, take me out. If saturn goes steel there would be no reason for me to consider one, period. for that reason I will not buy a relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DP49657's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DP49657 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2004, 04:12 PM   #29
Arnel
Arnel is on a distinguished road

Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Home of the World Champion Steelers & Penguins!

2001 SC2
Default Re: Saturn Corperation: My Polymer Panels

We love our three Saturns. When we bought the three of them, we didn't even consider looking at another brand. The car sold us. Not the service. Not the ownership experience. The car. Service and ownership soon followed, but it was the car that sold us.

Now that Saturn is to become as vanilla as the rest of the GM line, outside of the VUE and ION, our next purchase may not be a Saturn. Why? Saturn will abandon polymer. By doing so, we will abandon Saturn. If I want to buy a steel GM clone, I can go to Chevy, Pontiac, or Buick.

If selling to a niche is such a bad thing, why is SCION turning out quality products and turning heads? Why is SCION patterned after the Saturn sales model of the early 90's?

I wish I could say that Saturn is sold out. That would mean that everyone still believes in them and are buying every vehicle they have on the lots.

Unfortunately, Saturn HAS sold out.

93m SL1 "SLone" 145,000 mi. - RIP 10/08
94m SL2 "Ringo" 209,425 - ret. 7/31/07, RIP 10/08
01m SC2 "Lello" 129,000
07a GL VUE "Orbit" 48,900 - RIP 6/19/10
10a Ford Escape Hybrid - 8600 mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arnel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arnel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2004, 01:10 PM   #30
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

I bought my first Saturn, a certified '94 SC-2, in mid 1999. My parking place where I worked at that time was right in front and several customers over the next few weeks came in asking if that was the newest Saturn model, as they wanted one.

I moved my plans for a new car up a couple of years, as I want to make sure I get an Ion while they still have polymer panels. My next car purchase down the road will not automatically be a Saturn because they will not have plastic by that time, according to reports.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:28 PM   #31
bvL200
bvL200 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

send all these replies with your long letters. print them out and send them along with the letter, add me to the list of not buying a saturn for life like i planned on doing. i just got my 2001 L200 6 months ago. i am a manager at a grocery store, so the polymer panels were one of the main reasons i purchased my car ,along with no hassle sales. i can't count how many times i have came out to my car with a cart in the side of it with no damage. it was a huge let down to me when i heard saturn was going to get rid of the polymer panels. so saturn keep the polymer panels keep me as a customer for life, get rid of them, don't expect me to come back, i will go buy a toyota. also i live in upstate ny, lots of snow, i see older saturns from the early 90's still driving around, not one spot of rust from all the salt and snow we get. i just don't understand what the logic is in this. who cares about the gaps. i think everyone can agree if this happens; saturn will be gone within 5 yrs or sooner! and i don't want to see that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bvL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bvL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #32
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizelman45
May be a tad off topic, but it ties in with polymer panels. I was in a Pontiac dealership and I was looking at the new Grand Prix. Does it have sheetmetal or some sort of plastic? It did not feel or sound like sheetmetal at all.
the kia sorento, once while looking at it, did not seem like sheetmetal either. i'm curious about that. it could be pushed in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2004, 11:09 PM   #33
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Ok kids. Here's what I know, working at a retailer in regards to the polymer panels. The cost of the panels is not cheap. For every one polymer panel, three metal panels can be stamped. The panels used on some other GM models are not polymer but are also not metal. My '01 Trans Am had a "plastic" panel for its front fenders. This can be an "alternative" to the polymer. The reason polymer was not used on the Relay is the cost for one. If the side panels were polymer, you'd be looking at 40K for a mid-van. Yikes, that's costly. Second, the vehicle is built along side all of the others in the line, Terraza, Uplander, SV6 so it would slow production and add even more costs that GM right now cannot afford. GM is, contrary to some opinions I'm reading, trying to save Saturn from oblivion, YEA! but they have to be cost conscious. GM right now has the highest per vehicle cost in terms of production. General knowlegde for those that pay attention to this stuff. In trying to stay competitive, costs are going to play a factor for Saturn for awhile. Saturn has not been the success GM wanted it to be. It has not really posted profit and has been draining the pot but alot of that IMO is because there has not been new product on a regular basis. With the introduction of the Relay, now the SKY, the new midsize in '06 and one more vehicle, Saturn will finally have some product to sell instead of relying on two basic models, a coupe and a sedan. So cut Saturn and GM some slack guys. I agree, losing the polymer panels is a BIG issue, and add me to the list of those opposing the decision but Saturn has to survive for all of us that enjoy what they have brought to the auto industry so far. Who would have thought that they would still be around. Certainly not all the critics. With the direction Saturn is taking, <HINT: think VW and the absence of OLDS>we are all in for a "new" Saturn that will look on its history and still know that what we, it's consumers, are still VERY important to them and it's success.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:25 PM   #34
cdp326
Master Member

yeah, but you missed the fact that the polymer requires a special spaceframe which also enhances the safety of the vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2004, 04:51 PM   #35
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
yeah, but you missed the fact that the polymer requires a special spaceframe which also enhances the safety of the vehicle.
All unibody vehicles use a space frame, the only difference with a Saturn is the space frame can be designed independently of the exterior skin of the car (at least the rear fenders, since they don't need to be a structural part). The only two polymer panels on a Saturn that cover anything differently then a regular car are the rear quarter panels. The door skins and front fenders are essentially plastic copies of their metal counterparts, so they aren't that big of a deal, safety wise. The rear quarter panels are the only major difference between a regular car and a Saturn, since the roof is also steel. Now, is it really worth the expense to make a polymer paneled car just to have a little more design freedom on the back fenders? The safeness of a Saturn is more dependent on the crumple zones, driving postion, collapsability of the subframe, where the engine goes during the crash, etc., than it has to do with the polymer "decorative" panels. Polymer does make the car look new longer since dents don't show, but I don't feel it improves the safety.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

Last edited by saturn_69; 12-07-2004 at 04:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2004, 05:33 PM   #36
cdp326
Master Member

i'm not sure who it was or where, but someone said somewhere (they worked for saturn) that the spaceframe had to be specially strengthened and designed to take polymer without making the car nervous. how many other cars do you know that can get crushed like some of the ones i've seen here on SF and still survive? i do feel it improves safety. if i'm not mistaken a spaceframe helps keep the passenger compartment in one piece too, so that would be one, wouldn't it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2004, 05:44 PM   #37
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
i'm not sure who it was or where, but someone said somewhere (they worked for saturn) that the spaceframe had to be specially strengthened and designed to take polymer without making the car nervous. how many other cars do you know that can get crushed like some of the ones i've seen here on SF and still survive? i do feel it improves safety. if i'm not mistaken a spaceframe helps keep the passenger compartment in one piece too, so that would be one, wouldn't it?
As I said, the polymer doesn't make it safer, the crumple zones do.All unibody cars are space frames, the only difference is the outside panels on the rear fenders are structural on a steel skinned car. Ever heard the term 'safety cage'? Same thing as a space frame, just different marketing. Of course they are going to say it's safer, they want you to buy the car.....

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 PM   #38
cdp326
Master Member

the STRENGTH of the structure matters. but people are walking out of saturns crushed by semis, and i'm SURE that's not the case with all other cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2004, 11:46 PM   #39
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

The Relay has the same safety cage features that all other Saturns have sans the polymer. This was one of the big questions we all asked at training for the Relay. The spaceframe is reinforced to withstand impacts. Many other manufacturers, read non-GM products, rely on the steel panel to assist in a crash. That's one of the reason many GM products are pretty crashworthiness. I know that many of the safety features touted for Saturns seemed like they were the only cars built that way, however, a lot of this technology has been shared or developed right along with other GM products. One of the reasons GM pulled Saturn in was to share and exchange knowledge. The structure is strengthened to meet safety standards regardless if its metal, polymer, plastic wrap or bubble wrap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:28 PM   #40
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

When I first got my saturn it was parked nicely in the front yard. I was being an idiot and playing golf in the back yard. Well, I ended up shanking one of my shots and it took a B-line straight to my saturn (with a good amount of speed too!) When It struck I saw (or thought) a dent in the door from 50 yards away. As I went up to the vehicle I looked closely and saw only where dirt had flaked off the door where the ball hit. No dents or marks at all! I was hooked after that.

A polymer hood would be interesting...though I'm not sure it could take the heat. A polymer trunk and roof would be a great idea!

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread