SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 11:32 PM   #1
TommyH
TommyH is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Post Saturn Corperation: My Polymer Panels

Dear General Motors and Saturn,

I recieve many astonished looks and comments from people who are not familiar with Saturns that my SC2 is a '97 and, at the point that I'm writing this, is five and a half years old! This is due in part to the styling of the SC2, but mostly to the near indestructable polymer body panels. I'm saddened to learn that the rear quarter panels of the L's are not "Rubbermaid" and will show wear so very much sooner than the "Tupperware" doors and front quarter panels. If this thread has not made is plain to you yet, you have created a large number of customers with letting Saturn be Saturn and using the now trademark polymer panels. Thank you very much for creating "A different kind of car, a different kind of company", please let that different kind of company keep useing it's "different kind of body panels". This may seem like a small thing to outsiders of this "Saturn Cult" (as some auto reviews call us), but it is one of the, now very, few things that make Saturn "A different kind of company". It is one of the things that has set this car appart from the others in its class. If Pontiac lost it's "edgy" shapes, and "performance" minded "tuning" then the only thing to do would be to call it a Chevy (or Toyota in the Matrix's case). I believe that I speak for most if not all loyal Saturn owners, when pleading to you to never do away with the trademark polymer panels (Improve upon them, please, if you can; or make even more parts of the car out of it like the hood and roof.).
So, please pay no heed to the nay-saying automotive journalists who can only find "body panel gap width" and the automatic transmission (in "D") 1/4 mile times to harp on and flaunt as "major defficiancies" of the Saturn line of auto's. Instead embrace the fact that the polymer panels are the differant to the otherwise stagnent pool of steel paneled normality. You have built a very loyal customer base with this different body cladding, please do not loose us to other "normal" car corperations. Please do not ever make Saturns without polymer panels.

Respectfully Submitted,
Thomas J. Huebner
owner of a 1997 Saturn SC2

(Referances to Rubbermaid and Tupperware are registered trademarks and were used without permission - please don't sue me.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TommyH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TommyH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

did you actually send that to saturn?

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
IndyVUE
IndyVUE is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 3.0L

Great job TommyH!

I am the proud owner of a '03 VUE. The #1 reason I chose it was for the polymer panels. I have a '95 Pontiac TranSport w / 135K on it (poly body panels, including hood & rear hatch!), and it still looks new

The "plastic" is one of the Saturn lines' most identifiable traits, and adds value to the car line for so many reasons. If they lose that, they might as well be another GM division that has turned their back on innovation. Has GM (and the press) not noticed the "cult like" following of the Corvette? What's wrong with that? Keep up the good fight.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IndyVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IndyVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 01:37 PM   #4
TommyH

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally posted by eRic 96sc2
did you actually send that to saturn?
I haven't yet, as I want to bounce this off of the minds of the people on these boards to see if I'm right on, or if I'm off base on this subject.

I would like to know the best way that I can get this noticed and read by the corperation. I felt that someone here on the boards may have expieriance in this matter, and be able to tell me the best way to get this onto someones desk and not just into the trash can in the mailroom.

Thank you,
Tom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TommyH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2003, 11:14 PM   #5
FL ION BY
FL ION BY is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

polymer must stay! It is a huge selling point.

Previous Saturn cars: 1993 SL2 Blue/Green, 1999 SC1 2-Door Dark Blue, 2003 ION3 Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FL ION BY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FL ION BY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2003, 08:41 AM   #6
joshjani
joshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

One way for your letter to avoid being thrown in the trash bin is to proofread and spell check it.

I don't wish to be nit-picky here, but the errors in grammar and spelling in your letter can make it look like you are not worth listening to. Can I offer some help?

"useing" should be "using"
--It is one of the things that has set this car appart from the others in its class--
"has" should be "have" and "appart" should be "apart"

"defficiancies" should be "deficiencies"

--Instead embrace the fact that the polymer panels are the differant to the otherwise stagnent pool of steel paneled normality. You have built a very loyal customer base with this different body cladding, please do not loose us to other "normal" car corperations.--

"differant" to "different", "stagnent" to "stagnant", "loose" to "lose", "corperation" to "corporation"

About the third sentence in or so- "if this thread has is plain" or something like that- need to fix that up, too.

You had a few run-on sentences, too, but that's OK, I think. It sounds like speech when you read it. But other than that, it's a great letter, and I hope they listen!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joshjani's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joshjani reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2003, 10:54 PM   #7
TommyH

1997 SC2

Joshjani, Thank you very much. I don't belive that you are/were being "nit-picky". I will edit/repost that letter tomarrow with the corrections (it's been a long day...I'm gonna hit the rack). I had written this letter in what could almost be seen as a "fit of righteous indignation" paying little heed to spelling and my lackadaisical grasp on proper grammer. Please feel free to "nit-pick" my posts/letters. The only thing it can do is help to make me a better writer, and help to teach me to either get it right the first time or to at least use the spell check...

Tom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2003, 11:26 PM   #8
TommyH

1997 SC2

this is my (now) edited letter:

Dear General Motors and Saturn,

I receive many astonished looks and comments from people who are not familiar with Saturns that my SC2 is a '97 and, at the point that I'm writing this, is five and a half years old! This is due in part to the styling of the SC2, but mostly to the near indestructible polymer body panels. I'm saddened to learn that the rear quarter panels of the L's are not "Rubbermaid" and will show wear so very much sooner than the "Tupperware" doors and front quarter panels. If this forum (letter) has not made it plain to you yet, you have created a large number of customers with letting Saturn be Saturn and using the now trademark polymer panels. Thank you very much for creating "A different kind of car, a different kind of company” please let that different kind of company keep using its "different kind of body panels". This may seem like a small thing to outsiders of this "Saturn Cult" (as some auto reviews call us), but it is one of the, now very, few things that make Saturn "A different kind of company". It is one of the things that have set this car apart from the others in its class. If Pontiac lost it's "edgy" shapes, and "performance" minded "tuning" then the only thing to do would be to call it a Chevy (or Toyota in the Vibe's case). I believe that I speak for most if not all loyal Saturn owners, when pleading to you to never do away with the trademark polymer panels (Improve upon them, please, if you can; or make even more parts of the car out of it like the hood and roof.).
So, please pay no heed to the nay-saying automotive journalists who can only find "body panel gap width" and the automatic transmission (in "D") 1/4 mile times to harp on and flaunt as "major deficiencies" of the Saturn line of auto's. Instead embrace the fact that the polymer panels are the different to the otherwise stagnant pool of steel paneled normality. You have built a very loyal customer base with this different body cladding; please do not loose us to other "normal" car corporations. Please do not ever make Saturns without polymer panels.

Respectfully Submitted,
Thomas J. Huebner
owner of a 1997 Saturn SC2

(References to Rubbermaid and Tupperware are registered trademarks and were used without permission - please don't sue me.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-13-2003, 09:24 PM   #9
sl2vt
sl2vt is on a distinguished road

Hear Hear! It's more than just the polymer panels. The whole underside of the Saturn is much less prone to rust as well. Living in the Northeast where long winters and road salt take their toll, I can attest that Saturns look half their age compared to any other GM car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2vt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2vt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2003, 12:12 AM   #10
trunx
trunx is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

Dare I say that the fact that my ION has polymer panels was not considered when deciding whether to buy the car or not.
Having said that, I do think all future Saturns should keep them.

[COLOR=Navy][U]Tristan[/U]___________
2006 ION Redline w/ Comp. Pkg.: "Yuri"[/COLOR]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trunx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trunx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:44 PM   #11
Starbuck
Starbuck is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I support the plastic panel utilization in Saturns. I am rather concerned about rumors that Saturn will go to all steel or all alloy exterior surfaces in future models.

As anyone who owns a Saturn could tell you, the plastic body door panels are the best when it comes to parking lot dings and bashes from other careless car owners. In my apartment complex, most of the car owners don't give a damn about the car next to them when they open their doors. I have personally witnessed people hitting my car with their car doors so hard that it made my car ROCK side to side. Guess what? No damage other than a few little scratches that were easily buffed out. No other car on the road (other than GM's long gone Fiero) could really boast that kind of resiliency from damage. Also, I am proud to point out, due to the plastic panels and superb paint job, it always looks fresh and new (unlike the other cars with their door dings and scratches!).

From what I have heard, Bob Lutz at GM is not found of the plastic body panels due to the necessary gaps (required for the expansion due to heat) and wants steel to replace them in future designs. I believe this would be a big mistake. Replace the panels with steel and the car is no longer unique.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Starbuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Starbuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #12
tightsaturn96
Advanced Member
tightsaturn96 is on a distinguished road

DAMN IT. GEEZ. I'm so sick of hearing about gaps. Is that really why Lutz wants the polymer gone? Got news for you Bobby--The car magazines are gonna find problems with Saturns whether they are made of metal, plastic, or wood. Doesn't matter. I'm in the process of drafting a lengthy letter that I will post here for everyone's approval and then send to GM. The more letters we send the better the chances are.
. . . the resistance has begun

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tightsaturn96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tightsaturn96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 09:22 AM   #13
SkyKingAGI
SkyKingAGI is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Of course there are tons of cool aspects to buying and owning Saturns, lke the stylyng, reliability, and the buying experience itself. But I have to confess the thing that attracted me to even CONSIDER a Saturn was the polymer panels. To me that's the main thing that sets the newer ones apart from any of the other cars. Take away those polymer panels and I'll widen my future car search to other brands.

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SkyKingAGI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SkyKingAGI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 05:48 PM   #14
AgapeAngel
AgapeAngel is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

I too am a fan of the polymar panels.
They are appearance savers after any time at all in a mall parking lot

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AgapeAngel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AgapeAngel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 08:50 PM   #15
SkyKingAGI
SkyKingAGI is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

You know, maybe we need to put it into simple terms for Saturn Corp:

Dear Saturn,

No more polymer panels and no more Saturns in my driveway. Any questions?

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SkyKingAGI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SkyKingAGI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 01:22 AM   #16
FL ION BY
FL ION BY is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Saw a newer Jetta today with door dings all over it. I love the polymer!!!!!

Previous Saturn cars: 1993 SL2 Blue/Green, 1999 SC1 2-Door Dark Blue, 2003 ION3 Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FL ION BY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FL ION BY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2003, 03:18 AM   #17
Sueseavue
Sueseavue is on a distinguished road

I've been out of the loop for a while and didn't even know that Saturn was considering dropping the polymer panels. I have a friend with a BMW and though he laughs at my VUE for it's lack of "passion" (I tell him I don't need to display my passion for all to see I prefer to display my common sense, practicality and low monthly carpayment!!!) he admires my polymer panels. While he's parking his car away from other folks worrying about dinging his paint job I just park and get out without another thought. He thinks that the situation should be reversed - the high end cars should have the polymer and the regular old cars should have the metal bodies. He seems to think that since an expensive car is so much more expensive to maintain,polymer would be a smart way to go and should be a privilege of the high end car owner. I just laugh when he cringes when I pound on my car doors and ask him can he do THAT to his "passionate" BMW?

I love my VUE, but face it, the interiors leave much to be desired, the gas mileage is not great and the 4 cyliner engine just does not have enough pep - BUT I love my polymer. Without polymer my next car will NOT be another Saturn - I'm just too spoiled. As a former Saturn sales person, my favorite part of my presentation was punching the car doors for the unsuspecting customers - loved how the initial look of horror was replaced with awe.

Please say it ain't so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sueseavue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sueseavue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:22 PM   #18
EnjoytheVue
EnjoytheVue is on a distinguished road

I love my Vue so far, but the only reason I never really even looked at another vehicle was because of the body panels. Years of seeing salt-caked clumps of slush hanging from my metal cars for 4 months out of the year was enough to sell me on the Vue (that, and the new V-6) when it was time to go SUV shopping again. If the Vue was metal, I would have looked at more than a few other choices. I now have 2 cars, one fiberglass and one plastic.....go ahead mr. plowman, throw that salt!....only kidding!

2007 Vue V6 FWD
2005 Mazda3 5-door (zoomzoom)
1984 Corvette

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EnjoytheVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EnjoytheVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:42 PM   #19
saturnzilla
saturnzilla is on a distinguished road

Please do send this to the Saturn. All the feedback is needed to at least keep Saturn a bit of a refreshing difference from GM either send it email it or call them. They're nice folks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:05 PM   #20
venusfan
venusfan is on a distinguished road

I too love the plastic and is the reason why I got a saturn, AGAIN. I have a black '97 SC2 and the car still looks new even after 6 years. I've been hit so many times on the bumper, front and back. like on monday this idiot witch parked right on my front Univeristy of Nebraska "GO HUSKERS" plate. The samething probably happed to her car also because it was a Saturn; One of the sadans. I just cant picture myself driving an S series Saturn sadan.. so dull. SC rocks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to venusfan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help venusfan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread