SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2019, 12:06 AM   #1
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2
Default Is it necessary to replace nuts when doing suspension work?

I'm preparing to replace all the rubber bushings in my gen3 SC2 suspension. The OEM shop manual says that some of the nuts, once removed, must be replaced with new ones.

Is it really necessary?

And where would I get them? Can I just use grade 10.9 from the hardware store?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwoFistedJustic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 02:49 AM   #2
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2
Default Re: Is it necessary to replace nuts when doing suspension work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFistedJustic View Post
I'm preparing to replace all the rubber bushings in my gen3 SC2 suspension. The OEM shop manual says that some of the nuts, once removed, must be replaced with new ones.

Is it really necessary?

I never bothered and never had issues. YMMV.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #3
youstolemybeer
youstolemybeer is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2

if they are Nylocks then its not a bad idea, as for just regular nuts, nope. never had one come loose after suspension work

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youstolemybeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youstolemybeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youstolemybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFistedJustic View Post

Is it really necessary?

You do not have to worry about rust. Replace the ones you perceive as critical.
As far as following the shop manual, there is anti-seize on every bolt on my car that is not inside the engine or transmission. I use jamb nuts on a few critical suspension parts. If there is no cotter pin, I re-check torque when Im under there to be sure nothing moved. It never does.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

Last edited by bumpdraft; 03-06-2019 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: F.U. road salt!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
You do not have to worry about rust. Replace the ones you perceive as critical.
As far as following the shop manual, there is anti-seize on every bolt on my car that is not inside the engine or transmission. I use jamb nuts on a few critical suspension parts. If there is no cotter pin, I re-check torque when Im under there to be sure nothing moved. It never does.
Caterpillar conducted extensive testing in regard to the cotter pins in the rod and main bearing cap nuts. The results were they were completely useless so they were eliminated.This was done in the late 40s-early 50s.

Any prevailing torque nut is a 1 time use nut. The nyloc is usually considered single use but in most cases a re-use is OK. The FSM will identify the specific single use fasteners in the specific repair-replace section.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #6
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The FSM will identify the specific single use fasteners in the specific repair-replace section.
In the event that I do need to replace a prevailing torque nut, do you have a good supply source? My FLAPS doesn't carry them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwoFistedJustic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You usually can find special nuts like axle nuts at the FLAPS and the generic ones from McMater-Carr industrial supply. OR you can recycle the old nut after careful cleaning of the nut and bolt/shaft and using Loctite 272.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote