SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1998 SL2
Default Odometer Gears (Gen2)

Hello all,
My trip odometer never worked (but the actual odometer works) on my 1995 Sl2, I bought it used last year, knowing the condition. I know it is one of the gears on the inside of the cluster, but odometergearsDOTcom doesnt have any listed for 1995+
Are they the same gears for all first and second gens? I would like to fix it before my trip this summer to count my miles.
Thanks,
Chris

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Odometer Gears (Gen2)

The 95 is a gen 1, buy both gears as the other one is also junk. Your cluster uses the same gears.

Wait for further confirmation on this as I am puling this info from memory as the 95 model year is a soup sandwich.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

1995 has a Gen-II cluster. Gen 1 clusters seem to eat odometer gears, like a politician lies to the general public.

If your trip odometer is not working, that is due to somebody trying to reset it "0" while driving.

You might be able to get it working, again, by driving the car and pushing the rest button repeatedly. I was able to restore the trip odometer functionality, on my 1988 Chevrolet Beretta, with this method.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:11 AM   #4
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

If you can't get them anywhere, send me the broken ones and I can make them for you on my Formlabs SLA 3d printer. PM me for the address.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:46 AM   #5
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

if nothing else, you could probably pull some gears from a junkyard cluster. There's no real saying how long they'll last being just as old but second gen odometers do seem to be more durable than first.

97 SL2, auto, 118K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
1995 has a Gen-II cluster. Gen 1 clusters seem to eat odometer gears, like a politician lies to the general public.

If your trip odometer is not working, that is due to somebody trying to reset it "0" while driving.

You might be able to get it working, again, by driving the car and pushing the rest button repeatedly. I was able to restore the trip odometer functionality, on my 1988 Chevrolet Beretta, with this method.
1995 did have a Gen-2 Cluster --- BUT ---

Gen-2 Clusters were still ANALOG, until the changeover in the late 97/early 98 model year, when they went to a DIGITAL Number readout for the odometer.

When we owned our 97 SW2, it still had an Analog Odometer- but I do know that some 97 model year cars had Analog and some had Digital Odometers.

The Odometer Gears were ONLY present in the First Gen and Early Second Gen Instrument Clusters.

And pushing the reset button repeatedly, is not a good or proper way to get the Gears to reset. The Teeth wear down over time, and there is no guarantee that the larger gear and small gear especially (25 tooth gear), is still intact.

Buy new gears. Period. The time and effort that you put in, to removing the Instrument Cluster to access 2 gears, is very time consuming. The smaller 25 tooth gear is half the size of a dime, while the larger gear, is roughly about the size of a Nickel or Quarter. Better to do it all at once, rather then having to tear into the Instrument Cluster Multiple times. I've been there and done that- Multiple times- it's not fun....

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

Last edited by 2NDSOUT; 03-01-2019 at 08:00 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Thanks 2NDSOUT

cgg17: Now you have confirmation on what you have to do to fix this thing correctly. Buy new gears as everyone in the JY is in the same condition as yours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

In my 1997 SW2 I can hear the gears working as I drive - I can even count the grinds and gauge my distance. Anyone else notice this? It sounds like a mouse grinding his teeth.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The plastic gears are a common item in the analog clusters used in just about all cars and the plastic used turns into goo due to the grease that was originally used. Seems that there is a huge incompatibility between petroleum and some plastics. If you hear them they are failing. Your best fix is to go buy a 98-99 cluster with the digital odometer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The plastic gears are a common item in the analog clusters used in just about all cars and the plastic used turns into goo due to the grease that was originally used. Seems that there is a huge incompatibility between petroleum and some plastics. If you hear them they are failing. Your best fix is to go buy a 98-99 cluster with the digital odometer.
Out of curiosity, what is the earliest model a 98-99 digital cluster can go into. 96? 95? I have one in my parts car I should probably sell.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I think the 96 requires some wire switching but the 98-99 are known to swap cleanly and almost all 98s are digital. The 97 should also be plug and play. The 95 is unique and the 96 may be as well. You have to pull all the wiring diagram plug configurations and compare to find out. Some of these have been swapped in the past but I never collected that info as finding the correct year cluster is not that difficult.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ yep, 96 and 95 are somewhat unique

96 and 95 not 100% compatible, putting a 95 cluster into a 96 caused DRL not to work; start around post 10
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=136115

96 has the upshift light in different location from later years

99 Anniversary IP (only difference is white face gauges) works with '97 for sure. So 97-99 should all be straight swaps w no issues

Post 27 here has some diagrams for 95, might help with comparing 2nd gens.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=209322&page=2

I don't know if pictures are showing up but rc1488 had a '95. I can't see pics because the image host is always blocked for me at work

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=136986

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

I put a 1999 SC2 digital odometer into a 1997 SC2. No issues.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #14
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
In my 1997 SW2 I can hear the gears working as I drive - I can even count the grinds and gauge my distance. Anyone else notice this? It sounds like a mouse grinding his teeth.
Same with me. They've been like oe that for years now.

97 SL2, auto, 118K miles