SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #21
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 02 SL2 driving impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverblu02SL2 View Post
At 62K miles, what's the likelyhood the original struts has lost its effectiveness? I have been a passenger in the car since it was new and as far as I can remember, it always rode that way. Who makes the original struts?

Did you put KYB's in the front only or all four?
You have to consider both mileage and age when considering condition of the struts. Strut manufactures recommend changing struts in and about the 80k mi range and because they deteriorate over a period of years you won't really notice the difference in ride quality. You'll likely notice it when replacing them though.

Same goes for all suspension components.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #22
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

You might want to review some Youtube videos like this one about evaluating front suspension issues and bad struts. Here's a bounce test to determine whether replacement is necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBQyTyR_Zqs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:07 AM   #23
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
At 62K miles, what's the likelyhood the original struts has lost its effectiveness? I have been a passenger in the car since it was new and as far as I can remember, it always rode that way. Who makes the original struts?

When a strut fails, you will hear about it everytime you hit a crack in the pavement or a bump in the road. It will be a hollow-sounding "thudding" noise. This is indicative the strut is leaking or the mounting plates have rusted out.

Broken springs are obvious, because the car will sag.

When you replace struts, you should ALWAYS replace them in PAIRS, or the vehicle will not sit level and may not be able to have a proper steering alignment performed on it.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:06 AM   #24
dssl1
dssl1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

What about a creaking sound like a dry door hinge from the front end when going over speed bumps... Bushings or struts? I don't get any bounce/bob, so assume struts are good?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dssl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dssl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dssl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You will probably never get that classic bumper bounce rebound in all the videos either. Creaking and groaning is the strut mounts to start with along with the spring cushions. then it is LCA and sway bar bushings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #26
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:

I replaced all the struts with KYB's at the same time. I also replaced the original springs with H&R sport springs to lower it a bit and tighten up the handling.

I love it, but it's not for everyone.
Dips in the road can be 'entertaining' now at times, esp the short dips,
but again, I think it's a hoot.

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #27
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

The reason you think the car is twitchy is most likely because your used to the classic Benz feel. I went the other direction -- in 2014 I was driving a 1998 SL2 (with a freshly rebuilt suspension) when I bought my 1987 Mercedes 300D. When I drove it, I couldn't help thinking "this thing rides like an airship". The difference between the two cars, both with suspensions in good shape, is stark. One was about $100k adjusted for inflation, and one was $20k. MB cars float over bumps, Saturns transmit them.

I always really liked the handling of the Sx2 cars, though. They were loads of fun in mountain driving, moreso than my AWD Volvo, I'd say (except going up grades, then the turbo is nice, haha)

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #28
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

"classic Benz feel" , well put.

I had a Peugeot 505 before my S series, and as many Euro cars from that era, it was 'any road at any speed'. The car would just take any bump and somehow just make it go away.
Oh and the seats in that car, don't get me started.....

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #29
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I could not believe what a dog an otherwise strong normally-aspirated engine became, up in the mountains. Thought about getting out and pushing a few times. Turbo is mandatory for sure when you get above sea level enough

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #30
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I could not believe what a dog an otherwise strong normally-aspirated engine became, up in the mountains. Thought about getting out and pushing a few times. Turbo is mandatory for sure when you get above sea level enough
Yep, I swear my 95hp Suzuki 1.6 turns into a 22hp kohler lawn mower engine at 10,000 feet.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #31
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Why didn't Saturn put a turbo on the S series? Are there turbos on their other series?

1/28/2019 2002 SL2 w 62k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #32
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No, the actual Saturn S-Series did not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote