SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #21
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
Default Catalyst just completed... EGR & Evap remaining

I have driven the car 4 to 5 times now on trips ranging from 4 miles to 12 miles long. This morning, during a 4 mile trip, the Catalyst readiness completed.

I have read Evap may take a long time (or never) to complete. What about EGR? Does it take very long?

I was advised to not clean the EGR valve for fear of resetting all readiness monitors. Are there anything I can/ should check in regards to the EGR that is not intrusive, with no worry of resetting the monitors?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot-480x252.jpg (40.4 KB, 84 views)

1/28/2019 2002 SL2 w 62k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #22
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Emissions readiness DTC- how long does it take?

Re: EGR, not sure if you decelerated as described during your drives.

FWIW, I almost always shift into Neutral when decelerating /coasting, so would not hit the required steps for EGR diagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc
It is . . . the closed throttle coast that will set the EGR complete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl1
3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #23
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

EGR readiness monitor finally completed today after multiple attempts to decelerate from 55 mph to 20 mph w/o braking. Previous attempts I had to use the brakes Evap is still Incomplete but that's ok since I am allowed one Incomplete.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot-480x270.jpg (40.9 KB, 72 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #24
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Plan on EVAP never completing until spring or fall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:35 AM   #25
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Evap will complete just fine if you drive that car for a while. I've never had issues with mine checking off within a few tanks of fuel. I even got it to check off same day once. YMMV, but I've never had issues with my Saturns outside of one that was a hybrid between 2nd and 3rd gen with lots of harness splicing going on.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #26
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's the service manual explanation of the evap system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (137.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf Service Information(1).pdf (55.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Service Information(2).pdf (43.7 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #27
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
Evap will complete just fine if you drive that car for a while. I've never had issues with mine checking off within a few tanks of fuel. I even got it to check off same day once. YMMV, but I've never had issues with my Saturns outside of one that was a hybrid between 2nd and 3rd gen with lots of harness splicing going on.
The tolerances for EVAP are not consistent year to year. The gen-2 is by far wider acceptance tolerances and the Gen-3 is sufficiently tight that there are PCM re-flashes available to correct the inability to never get it reset. Model 2002 is the tightest by the way and that FSM info does not tell you the actual setpoints but it does explain how the way you decide to start the car will actually preclude the possibility of a reset in the general description of operation section.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #28
Silverblu02SL2

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Here's the service manual explanation of the evap system.
Thanks for the pdf's !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #29
Silverblu02SL2

2002 SL2

Quote:
Is that because of decreased volatility of gasoline, not generating enough pressure in the fuel tank in the winter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #30
OldNuc

1998 SC2

No the test is a vacuum test. There are pages of discussion on the EVAP reset issue with the 3rd gen cars. The test permissive parameters are quite tight and too hot or cold and you do not meet the entry test requirements. This is a multi-part test sequence to have that monitor complete. If you are in the habit of inserting the key and twisting directly to crank quit doing that, let it set in the ON position until the fuel pump prime and bulb check completes then crank. People who drive long distances on the interstate usually have no problem with this test but the city - urban dwellers do. Somewhere north of Poughkeepsie on your way to Albany on a reasonably warm winter day should do it, maybe...

Last edited by OldNuc; 02-25-2019 at 07:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #31
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

Quote:
The tolerances for EVAP are not consistent year to year. The gen-2 is by far wider acceptance tolerances and the Gen-3 is sufficiently tight that there are PCM re-flashes available to correct the inability to never get it reset. Model 2002 is the tightest by the way and that FSM info does not tell you the actual setpoints but it does explain how the way you decide to start the car will actually preclude the possibility of a reset in the general description of operation section.
What year is your 3rd gen Saturn, OldNuc?

I've had a 2002 in the past, and that car had no problems checking this one off within 1 full tank of fuel (as well as every other monitor, usually within the first 15 minutes of driving).

YMMV, as always.

MechE - I make things!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #32
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The reason that you got it to work is where you are located. You can use search and pull up all the grief that people have had with this POS system getting it to set complete. The 01-02 models are the tightest of the bunch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #33
colonelhogan44
Master Member

1998 SL2

Quote:
The reason that you got it to work is where you are located. You can use search and pull up all the grief that people have had with this POS system getting it to set complete. The 01-02 models are the tightest of the bunch.
What year is your 3rd gen? Your profile has only a 1998. What actual experience do you have with working on these cars? It seems everyone takes your words as gospel theses days, but i often wonder how much of what you post is actually garnered from your own hands-on, practical experince? Reading and repeating the boards is fine and can useful, but I've always been curious as to whether you've actually done much on a Saturn...

MechE - I make things!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #34
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I fix lots of them locally. I also happen to have an interest in computers including ECU/TCU design and application. All the info on the EVAP is out there on google as to the basic requirements year by year and the actual implementation is in the FSM. The method is the same 98-02 but the tolerances are different. You find the tolerances at EPA. This does not require much to actually figure out once you look up how it works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #35
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The EVAP monitor is a software setpoint issue and has nothing to do with the vintage of the hardware as the 98-02 are identical. As has been pointed out by another poster in this thread it will not set ready if the environment temperature is too high either, and that little fact is nowhere to be found in the FSM. It can be figured out with a classic physics text book though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #36
colonelhogan44
Master Member

1998 SL2

Quote:
The EVAP monitor is a software setpoint issue and has nothing to do with the vintage of the hardware as the 98-02 are identical. As has been pointed out by another poster in this thread it will not set ready if the environment temperature is too high either, and that little fact is nowhere to be found in the FSM. It can be figured out with a classic physics text book though.
I guess the only permanent solution to the EVAP readiness monitor is to move to the mild weathered left coast, then!

MechE - I make things!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2019, 02:47 AM   #37
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Actually one of the local inhabitants who posted earlier in this thread made the initial discovery of a serious temperature sensitivity, it is not in the service manual, its a bug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #38
Silverblu02SL2

2002 SL2

I have driven the car for 200 to 300 miles so far w/o completing the evap emissions readiness. I put in a new T-stat yesterday and took the car for a mile local drive today and the evap readiness finally completed. You can see the Torque app, it's all green in the pic in this post http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=70

Changing the T-stat made the ECT go up to 195 F instead of 158 F with the old T-stat. Is the higher ECT responsible for evap completion?

I thought evap readiness checks the fuel vapor in the tank. ECT is not in the equation. Was this just another coincidence? I've had a few with this car so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #39
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Apparently, you've inadvertently proven the naysayers wrong when t-stat replacement killed two birds with one stone - completing the evap monitor and returning to correct operating temperatures. I tried searching for parameters but come up empty. My guess is during engine warmup, a certain temperatures needs to be reached as each emissions monitor is evaluated. None are independent of each other so the entire to system must operate in a symbiotic relationship from startup in order to meet programmed emissions minimums.

And congratulations, you're car completed all emissions self tests.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:35 PM   #40
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverblu02SL2 View Post
I have driven the car for 200 to 300 miles so far w/o completing the evap emissions readiness. I put in a new T-stat yesterday and took the car for a mile local drive today and the evap readiness finally completed. You can see the Torque app, it's all green in the pic in this post http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=70

Changing the T-stat made the ECT go up to 195 F instead of 158 F with the old T-stat. Is the higher ECT responsible for evap completion?

I thought evap readiness checks the fuel vapor in the tank. ECT is not in the equation. Was this just another coincidence? I've had a few with this car so far.
One of the requirements for the EVAP tests(there are several) is normal operating temperature. There is no official documentation of what constitutes normal.

Each emissions monitor test has its own parameters that must be satisfied to either run or pass.

Note that everything passed except EVAP until you changed out the thermostat.

Normal operating temperature is mentioned in post #3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!