SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default 235-60R17 Tires Kelly vs Firestone vs Goodyear?

Yeah, another tire thread.... 235-60R17 Tires:

Kelly Edge
Firestone FR710
Firestone Champion Fuel Fighter
Goodyear Assurance

Comments?

These need not be "the best" but going down to 3 choices here.

Noted not all much price difference between the 16's & 17's now.

Guess I can throw the Uni Tiger Paw in the mix they'll go another $100-$125 currently

Last edited by Bismarck318; 11-15-2016 at 08:59 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 235-60R17 Tires Kelly vs Firestone vs Goodyear?

Comments won't mean much if we aren't aware of your goals? Snow tire? AT for the extra load cap. and belts? All Season? or Cheapest biggest bang for buck?

I run 235/70-16's- no room for cable chains as there's little clearance to the bottom of the spring support on the front struts.
YOur 60 series should have a little more room, but then with 17's maybe not, unless that size has worked for you before.

Need cable chains, on occassion? Have room?

I run Yoko Geolandar AT's for their beefiness, extra rolling dia., and noise on the highway.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

On my last Vue I had various tires. The last set that I got were Kelly Tires. They were out of round. I went through a real hassle trying to get the non-stocking shop to exchange them as they claimed they had to go through their distributor and get the exchange approved. While I was doing battle with them on this my catalytic converter went out. So, at that point, I just traded my 2007 Vue in on a 2014 Chevy Captiva, which is basically a 2008-10 Saturn Vue.

Lessons learned- Never buy tires from a business that does not stock tires. As for the Kelly tires I had a bad experience with the Vue but I have 7 Kelly tires on my RV and they work very well and did not cost a lot. So I am neutral as far as my opinion of Kelly tires goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Bismarck318

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
Comments won't mean much if we aren't aware of your goals?
My bad, I put about 3-7K on a year, I had new 16" Duelers when I bought the vehicle, only good fro one or 2 winter seasons, I had to replace them with 17" Long Trail take offs as the snowflake rims were in such poor shape from chemicals... anyhow the Duelers were seriously bald after about only 24K, & very noisy during their short lifespan, & ineffective in snow after 12-15K.

The Long Trails rode a lot better, I would just rotate the backs to front, but the shop refused to do this as they claim the back tires should be better, I doubt if I'll get much traction once the snow flies. I feel there is very sufficent tread in the back... do I have to replace tires every 20K? (tut tut)

2 Places told me the Long Trails have dry rot issues, kinda wanted to flip them & look in the spring.... not exactly sure how old or milage they had when I got them, the woman said 3-4K but 2 of them were down a lot farther than that & it was evident she never roatated them.... Per the one place, the Long Trails are about 6 years old (used to be able to read the codes, this would align with thethe story I hear when I picked these up), really don't want dry rot issues (though it sits out now), if I go even less with a 40K entry level House brand, they'll likely be ineffective in winter months after 2 years.

The above will set me back from upper $400's to mid $500's (with the exception of the Tiger Paw @ just over $600, with current rebates, the House brands run about the same price.

I will not likely be using any chains, doing any off roading ect... just
highway/city driving...

Kinda leaning toward the GY Assurance. The best & worst tires I ever had were both Perillis, so correct it depends on what I want out of them.... searching through the threads, all the comments are about either pricy or obsolete tires, the above is pretty much what I see offered reasonable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I don't think I'd buy any of those tires you listed. I recommend either the General Altimax RT43 (~$108/ea) or the Continental TrueContact (~$123/ea). Continental is currently offering a $70 rebate on a set of four through 11/30/2016.

We've had the TrueContacts on our 2007 Equinox for about 25K miles and we're really happy with them. They are marketed as a 90K mile tire, but I'm thinking that 60K-70K miles is more realistic since ours have just over half the tread left on them. They grip good in dry, wet, and snowy conditions. They also handle pretty well and are quiet.

I also just put a set of General Altimax RT43s (T-rated) on my Ion a little over a month ago. So far I'm happy with them. They grip good in both wet & dry conditions, and are supposed to be really good on snowy roads, but we'll see about that. The only minor complaint I have with them is that they seem to flex a bit more than expected when cornering. My old tires (Firestone Champion HR) were super firm and I am a pretty aggressive driver though so take that with a grain of salt. This is really only noticeable when making sudden steering movements. During regular driving you'd never know it until you push them to their limit.

Both of these tires were recently highly rated by Consumer Reports which was a big factor in my decision. The best tire was the Michelin Defender followed by the Continental TrueContact and the General Altimax RT43 (T-rated).

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 47K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 11-16-2016 at 10:31 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:36 AM   #6
Mr Toad
Mr Toad has a spectacular aura aboutMr Toad has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L

Got the Goodyear Assurance on my 2005 FWD 3.5L Automatic. I really like them but have had 2 flats for no apparent reason. First tire was destroyed and replaced for free. Second was plugged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr Toad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Toad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
ryan_g
ryan_g is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I had a set of Uni tiger paws on my old vue and they were awful. Loud, rough, cheaply made tires. Steer clear of those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryan_g's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryan_g reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryan_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

TY all, there don't really seem to be many newer tire threads on here, except for the Dueler complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I don't think I'd buy any of those tires you listed. I recommend either the General Altimax RT43 (~$108/ea) or the Continental TrueContact (~$123/ea). Continental is currently offering a $70 rebate on a set of four through 11/30/2016.

Both of these tires were recently highly rated by Consumer Reports which was a big factor in my decision. The best tire was the Michelin Defender followed by the Continental TrueContact and the General Altimax RT43 (T-rated).
Both look like a good choice, though with the Continental I'm up close to $700with upcharges (I don't see this rebate, I'll have to call Sears &/or WM), the Generals I cannot find locally.

90K tire? hard compound? My Pirelli P500's I got 71K on 2 & 67K on the other 2 & was hgoing to trust them for the winter if I didn't sell the car they were on .... soft rubber, good wear, very reasonably priced at the time... Pirelli recycled the P500 model #, a very upscale tire now.

I'm trying to find a good medium, though if indeed my Long Trails are only 6 years old (& they spent a year & a half in my garage), thats a lil soon for dryrot .. I still may have to rotate them if it snows I'll have no traction with the current fronts, so I really didn't get the point of having good tires on the rear.... you really would never rotate them following that rule on a FWD.

Mr Toad, AZ, heat stress perhaps?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
TY all, there don't really seem to be many newer tire threads on here, except for the Dueler complaints.

Both look like a good choice, though with the Continental I'm up close to $700with upcharges (I don't see this rebate, I'll have to call Sears &/or WM), the Generals I cannot find locally.

90K tire? hard compound? My Pirelli P500's I got 71K on 2 & 67K on the other 2 & was hgoing to trust them for the winter if I didn't sell the car they were on .... soft rubber, good wear, very reasonably priced at the time... Pirelli recycled the P500 model #, a very upscale tire now.

I'm trying to find a good medium, though if indeed my Long Trails are only 6 years old (& they spent a year & a half in my garage), thats a lil soon for dryrot .. I still may have to rotate them if it snows I'll have no traction with the current fronts, so I really didn't get the point of having good tires on the rear.... you really would never rotate them following that rule on a FWD.

Mr Toad, AZ, heat stress perhaps?
Go to Continental's website for rebate info. FWIW I've had good luck ordering tires through Walmart's Site to Store program. The last three sets of tires I've needed were purchased through Walmart's website, shipped to a local store, and installed in their TLE (Tire Lube Express) department.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Go to Continental's website for rebate info. FWIW I've had good luck ordering tires through Walmart's Site to Store program. The last three sets of tires I've needed were purchased through Walmart's website, shipped to a local store, and installed in their TLE (Tire Lube Express) department.
I see both tires now @ Sears (adobe flash issie I think why they were not coming up). I never do any commerce online anymore. Strange though the Wal*Marts in my area have eliminated all the TLE centers. I may check Sears to see what the "upcharges" on the Generals are going to be. Sears does not list a rebate

A shame on my Long Trails, still plenty of tread life in them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #11
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
I see both tires now @ Sears (adobe flash issie I think why they were not coming up). I never do any commerce online anymore. Strange though the Wal*Marts in my area have eliminated all the TLE centers. I may check Sears to see what the "upcharges" on the Generals are going to be. Sears does not list a rebate

A shame on my Long Trails, still plenty of tread life in them.
What are these "upcharges" you keep referring to?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #12
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
What are these "upcharges" you keep referring to?
Hidden environmental charges & taxes that apply, WM & Sears really don't give you those, then there is the we will not warranty the tire without an alignment thing.

The one place had the bill up to nearly $800 on those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #13
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Hidden environmental charges & taxes that apply, WM & Sears really don't give you those, then there is the we will not warranty the tire without an alignment thing.

The one place had the bill up to nearly $800 on those.
No tire shop around here charges any fees that I would consider to be hidden. In the past I've purchased tires from Firestone, Goodyear, Car-X, Discount Tire, Tires Plus, and Walmart. A typical tire bill at any shop around here generally consists of the same items:

- tires
- mounting & balancing
- new valve stems (usually $2-3/tire)
- disposal fee (usually $2-3/tire)
- road hazard warranty (optional)
- sales tax

Some tire shops simply include all of the above items (except sales tax) in the price of each tire to simplify pricing for their customers.

I think it's a good idea to get the alignment checked whenever new tires are installed, but an alignment shouldn't be required. The tires will need to be worn pretty evenly to keep the warranty valid anyways so whether or not the car was aligned is doesn't matter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #14
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
No tire shop around here charges any fees that I would consider to be hidden. In the past I've purchased tires from Firestone, Goodyear, Car-X, Discount Tire, Tires Plus, and Walmart. A typical tire bill at any shop around here generally consists of the same items:

- tires
- mounting & balancing
- new valve stems (usually $2-3/tire)
- disposal fee (usually $2-3/tire)
- road hazard warranty (optional)
- sales tax

Some tire shops simply include all of the above items (except sales tax) in the price of each tire to simplify pricing for their customers.

I think it's a good idea to get the alignment checked whenever new tires are installed, but an alignment shouldn't be required. The tires will need to be worn pretty evenly to keep the warranty valid anyways so whether or not the car was aligned is doesn't matter.
Some places give the OTD price, but I found out this is like a shell game, Sears was 101 on the tire Friday, $114 store price, Saturday they were $148 online, was told must order online to get the better price @ the store on Friday. Again, no Wal*Marts in my area have Auto Centers (no longer at least).

Disposal fees are $12 a tire in my local, with an additional $4 enviromental disposal fee. Many companies charge you here to take the tire than use the tire as a raw material for a product! Pretty slick of them! Sears offers a $83 installation package, plus you have to add the above fees.

Just had the alignment checked... was fine, no ill handling, but correct a good idea (tut tut). Not sure which way to go, & all these places deal in bankers hours.

What is this new deal with better ones to the back, if this guy would had rotated them (as I paid for it), I could shop, sure was purely intentional to have me make a quick decision. In theory you would never rotate tires on a FWD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2016, 02:11 AM   #15
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Did you get your tires? FWIW, I currently have Cooper CS4 tires on my Vue. 235/65R 16. They have been superseded by the CS5. 80,000 miles supposedly. I have 15,000 miles on them. So far, so good.

My S-10 had Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. They helped a little with an empty bed that liked to slide around in the slightest bit of water.

Do you know a local mechanic who can order the tires and install them?

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #16
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7Mayberry View Post
Did you get your tires? FWIW, I currently have Cooper CS4 tires on my Vue. 235/65R 16. They have been superseded by the CS5. 80,000 miles supposedly. I have 15,000 miles on them. So far, so good.

My S-10 had Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. They helped a little with an empty bed that liked to slide around in the slightest bit of water.

Do you know a local mechanic who can order the tires and install them?
Yes, after many mix ups missed shipments & cancelled install appointments I went with the General Altimax RT43 ... best part though $437 out the door installed

No, I don't have any friends in the business either, they kept wanting me to drop the car, that was an impossibility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #17
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Yes, after many mix ups missed shipments & cancelled install appointments I went with the General Altimax RT43 ... best part though $437 out the door installed

No, I don't have any friends in the business either, they kept wanting me to drop the car, that was an impossibility.
Holy cow, that's cheap. Where did you end up getting them from?

Also, FWIW I had a chance to drive my Ion in the snow last week and was very pleased with how well the RT43 tires gripped. I need to do some more driving to be really sure, but so far I think they might be the best [all-season] tires in the snow I've ever had.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #18
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Holy cow, that's cheap. Where did you end up getting them from?

Also, FWIW I had a chance to drive my Ion in the snow last week and was very pleased with how well the RT43 tires gripped. I need to do some more driving to be really sure, but so far I think they might be the best [all-season] tires in the snow I've ever had.
It was Sears, & I think it was likely a Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deal, there was a over a $300 difference from the week before.

I had the chance to test them in a snowstorm a couple times, not all that bad, well see how the longetivity is for a little as I drive the Duelers were no good in the snow after about 12K on them... about 2 seasons for me.

I was still surprised at how well the old Long Trails were still performing in snow although technically the fronts being bald, but the reason for the tires was bad dryrotting on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #19
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Winter report on these General tires was pretty good! We'll see how they hold up for longevity & dry rot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #20
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

For those researching tires.... try this link... then choose which style tire you want https://www.tirerack.com/tires/revie...surveyComments. This is by far the most comprehensive site for information, comparisons, and personal reviews, that I have seen. It was my go to site when I worked at a very reputable tire place for a few months.

John.

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote