SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
Mr Toad
Mr Toad has a spectacular aura aboutMr Toad has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Too many brakes to choose from

I want to replace the front brakes myself but I find too many options. What do you all use? I find organic, semi-metallic, metallic, and ceramic. Do I need new mounting clips or will the old do? I see some kits that include them and some don’t. I will be replacing the caliper bushings since mine rattle until I apply the brakes. I am also considering replacing the rotors because of a little pulsing while braking, especially at high speeds.

Any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr Toad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Toad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Too many brakes to choose from

Get these solid caliper slide pins to replace the 2 rubber bushed ones( one in each caliper) on the frontcalipers.) and some Cheap centric ceramic pads.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L

I like AutoZone's ceramics or if you want to splash a little cash, Wagner ThermoQuiets are really nice.

If you can get Brembo blanks for the rotors, they're great but for price, Autozone quality rotors or Wagners are really nice too.

As for hardware, only if retainers or clips are broken then I put the new ones in.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
I want to replace the front brakes myself but I find too many options. What do you all use? I find organic, semi-metallic, metallic, and ceramic. Do I need new mounting clips or will the old do? I see some kits that include them and some don’t. I will be replacing the caliper bushings since mine rattle until I apply the brakes. I am also considering replacing the rotors because of a little pulsing while braking, especially at high speeds.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have replaced numerous sets of front brakes and rotors on GM cars, including a 2006 Vue V-6 FWD. The caliper pin bushings are sold individually by GM, as they also fit many years of the Equinox.

I always use GM OEM Delco brake pads and rotors. The quality is very high and the fit is perfect. You will spend a little more than aftermarket, made in (who knows where) - but your braking system is critical.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
cdes
cdes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WhiteC5Coupe View Post
I have replaced numerous sets of front brakes and rotors on GM cars, including a 2006 Vue V-6 FWD. The caliper pin bushings are sold individually by GM, as they also fit many years of the Equinox.

I always use GM OEM Delco brake pads and rotors. The quality is very high and the fit is perfect. You will spend a little more than aftermarket, made in (who knows where) - but your braking system is critical.
ACDelco parts are now made in China as well. This includes many rotors.

'06 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5-spd Manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
Mr Toad

2005 VUE 3.5L

Thanks Guys
Another question…
If I buy new rotors from, let’s say autozone, do I need to have them turned or are they straight right out of the box?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Toad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

New rotors are NEW and need nothing but to be installed( and cleaned of oil.)

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 AM   #8
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
The caliper pin bushings are sold individually by GM,
And just about every automotive parts store chain in the country.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:

Like Billy said, most of these are made in China now. I can't really tell whether a AC Delco or a cheap bottom shelf rotor are any different. I only mentioned good "Autozone" quality because of the warranty they offer and the ability to return it to the store.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
cdes
cdes will become famous soon enough

If you have a couple of days to spare on waiting but not money to waste, try rockauto or amazon - in the later the warehouse deals are sometimes the biggest bang for the buck. In any case, make sure that what you buy has all the hardware included, slike shims or lubricants. Do not forget a brake bleeder tool, regardless of DIY soda bottle stile or vacuum evacuator.

It might also be a good idea to watch some youtube channel like erictehcarguy for a quick howto on brakes.

'06 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5-spd Manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #11
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdes View Post
If you have a couple of days to spare on waiting but not money to waste, try rockauto or amazon - in the later the warehouse deals are sometimes the biggest bang for the buck. In any case, make sure that what you buy has all the hardware included, slike shims or lubricants. Do not forget a brake bleeder tool, regardless of DIY soda bottle stile or vacuum evacuator.

It might also be a good idea to watch some youtube channel like erictehcarguy for a quick howto on brakes.
I second the online option, I always hit up Rockauto if I don't need the parts right away.
Brand wise, I'm a big fan of Raybestos for brake stuff... OEM grade ceramics are perfect for a daily driver. Bendix is another good choice. I always prefer replacing drums and rotors over turning; brakes need thermal mass to dissipate heat, milling them down only removes that mass.
If you get new drums for the back, I strongly recommend cleaning them thoroughly inside and out then hitting the outside with some black caliper paint. I didn't do that to mine and they immediately rusted to a brilliant green color . I like saving money, but brakes are important enough to invest a few bucks into the good stuff. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DavidBo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
DavidBo

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
I second the online option, I always hit up Rockauto if I don't need the parts right away.
Brand wise, I'm a big fan of Raybestos for brake stuff... OEM grade ceramics are perfect for a daily driver. Bendix is another good choice. I always prefer replacing drums and rotors over turning; brakes need thermal mass to dissipate heat, milling them down only removes that mass.
If you get new drums for the back, I strongly recommend cleaning them thoroughly inside and out then hitting the outside with some black caliper paint. I didn't do that to mine and they immediately rusted to a brilliant green color . I like saving money, but brakes are important enough to invest a few bucks into the good stuff. Good luck!
You have the V6 which means you have discs back there, but it's the thought that counts!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
You have the V6 which means you have discs back there, but it's the thought that counts!
The V6 has drums in the back too, I wish they were rear disk brakes.

2001 L-200 2.2l
DOB: 05/08/01 Owned: 07/01/07 to 10/30/18

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 145,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

2019 GMC Acadia (aka Saturn Outlook)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #14
Mr Toad

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Yeah, mine has drums too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #15
Ken L.
Ken L. has a spectacular aura aboutKen L. has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line

I personally went with these Raybestos rotors and pads. They work awesome. Braking is firm and smooth, and they produce almost no brake dust. One thing I would do in addition to replacing pads is to flush the brake fluid from master cylinder reservoir and brakes lines. This step is needed for long caliper and brake system life.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken L.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken L. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
DavidBo

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
The More You Know! I thought the V6 came with discs out back, I guess it's a trim level thing instead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #17
DavidBo

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken L. View Post
I personally went with these Raybestos rotors and pads. They work awesome. Braking is firm and smooth, and they produce almost no brake dust. One thing I would do in addition to replacing pads is to flush the brake fluid from master cylinder reservoir and brakes lines. This step is needed for long caliper and brake system life.

+1 on the brake fluid flushing. I failed to do that on an old Mazda and when I did the rear brakes I found the pistons were corroded solid to the wheel cylinders. The rear brakes weren't even working! Ever since then every few years I use a Mity-Vac to suck fresh fluid through the system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #18
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

I put in the cheapest CENTRIC "CTEK" ceramic pads- about$15 for the front set@ ROCK. about 50K miles ago.

Can't wear them out. And they stop great.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 AM   #19
Mr Toad

2005 VUE 3.5L

Well I finally got my new brakes installed. I went with the Duralast Gold Pads, Duralast Rotors, and since I had the rattle, I picked up a Duralast Hardware kit, all from Autozone. The Hardware kit consisted of the 4 rubber boots and 2 rubber guide pin bushings. All went well and I discovered the last guy that did a brake job put the pin with bushing in the wrong spot, (top instead of bottom). I got it all put together and took it out to burnish the pads and rotors and it stops real nice and no more rattle.
The box the pads came in says they are the official brakes of NASCAR… Some how I doubt that anyone believes those NASCAR guys head on down to their local Autozone for the brakes on them 200MPH NASCARs. Who are they trying to BS here?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #20
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

"The official brakes of NASCAR" means Duralast paid money to NASCAR in order to say they are the official brakes of NASCAR.

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote