SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #41
Cruzer32
Cruzer32 has a spectacular aura aboutCruzer32 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2000 Saturn SL - Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

I'll only reuse an axle nut if it goes on as tight as it came off (once or twice). Always use a new one if the option is available to you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cruzer32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cruzer32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cruzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #42
BIGGUNDOCTOR
BIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura aboutBIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura aboutBIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2

I am getting ready to do this on my 99 SW2 since they have been making noise for probably 20,000 miles now. I drive over 1,000 a week, and currently have 221,000+ on this wagon.

I picked up new hub and bearing kits at NAPA, and went with the premium grade. They gave me a great deal on them , under $70 ea, and they are made by SKF. I found it funny that one box was marked made in USA, the other was made in Spain. I can accept that since I trust Spanish manufacturing a lot more than Chinese.

I am leaning towards removing the components off my 98 SW2 since the engine / trans are already out, rebuilding those, then just swapping the complete assemblies. This is my main vehicle at the moment, and my Cummins is down with power steering issues (327,000+ miles), so I don't need any surprises. This should keep my downtime to a minimum. Looks a bit easier than I expecting.

What about wheel alignment after the repairs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BIGGUNDOCTOR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BIGGUNDOCTOR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BIGGUNDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #43
BIGGUNDOCTOR
BIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura aboutBIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura aboutBIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2

Just checked a post I made when I first heard the noise, that was at 196,000 back in October. The noise has gotten a good bit louder, so no time to waste now getting them changed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BIGGUNDOCTOR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BIGGUNDOCTOR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BIGGUNDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #44
FLAMINRAYMIN
FLAMINRAYMIN is on a distinguished road

This is a great post, I like it, however is there a link that you could share that has a video of this operation. I've found several videos on you tube. There is a gentleman who takes you through, start to finish, his youtube name is "richpin" I have a 2000 Saturn SL1 Series. I'm about ready to tackle this on my own, I do have good mechanical skills,not on this job though. If you could help me out with a video that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FLAMINRAYMIN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FLAMINRAYMIN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FLAMINRAYMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #45
saturnhusker
saturnhusker is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

I am going to replace the 6th bearing in my 00 saturn sl my brother did 3 (he bought car new then sold to me) and I am about to do my 3rd. A mechanic noticed my rack & pinion was bad. That would explain why I go through bearing always on the drivers side not the passenger I never replaced that side. So you may want to check out your steering rack. Just a heads up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhusker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhusker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #46
FamWagon
FamWagon is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Hello:

I followed the suggestion in the L forum to follow the 2000 SL directions, as s.o. said they're identical to the 2000 LW2. But now that I have my LW2 in the air (for the 2nd day now, because no one seems to have done this before on the LW2), used the puller and gotten the hub off, things look different.

Does anyone know about replacing the wheel bearing (front passenger) on a Saturn 2000 LW2, and which bearing type is really supposed to be used?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FamWagon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FamWagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FamWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #47
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

That is because your LW2 is not really a Saturn, it's a Opel. It's more like a Vue or Chevy Captiva (another Opel) than anything else.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #48
SC1fan
SC1fan is on a distinguished road

Awesome post! This is the kind of helpful information for which I have been searching.

Thank you so much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC1fan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC1fan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:19 AM   #49
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2

Thanks for the how to mostapasta. I think I can all up to the press.

Control has a great idea that I think my local garage will do for a smaller fee.

wolfman, thanks for the helpful tips.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #50
Sroyalty89
Sroyalty89 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: 2000 Saturn SL - Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

So i replaced my wheel bearings early spring. Since then ive had to do it 3 seperate times. But this most recent time i have not even drove the car on the new bearings and the wheel already wiggles like its "bad". Why do i keep blowing thru wheel bearings. I replaced the WHOLE front suspension and most of the rear suspension. So im pretty confused. How common are bad knuckles?
Somebody please help lol
I have a 99 sc2 manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sroyalty89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sroyalty89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sroyalty89 is offline   Reply With Quote