SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
jcumens
jcumens is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default Use Heavier Oil For Older Cars??

My Car: 1999 Saturn SL1
Miles: 260K
Oil usage: 1 Quart per 800 miles
Oil weight according to Manual: 5W-30
I am the original owner.

I have always used the 5W-30. A mechanic told me that he uses heavier oil for older cars.

Your opinions please!!

Thank you for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcumens's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcumens reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcumens is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2
Default Re: Use Heavier Oil For Older Cars??

Keep using the 5w-30. That's what the engine was designed for, and it seems to have done you well to this point.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

^+1 I once tried 20W-50 in my car and it made no difference in the oil consumption rate. Stick with the manufacturer's recommendation.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

^ Yep.

Use a quality oil, not high mileage.

Clean or replace the PCV Valve, or put in a fixed orifice one.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

As a very general rule mechanics are ignorant when it comes to oil. Save the xw-40/50 for racing and whatnot, not general daily driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

^^^+1 use 5w-30 oil and fixed orifice PCV.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

I've been using the Rotella T6 for a few years now...........210,000 and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

I have been using the Conventional Rotella 10W30 with no issues.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

^^^That is still a 30 weight oil. All you are accomplishing is increased engine wear at lower temperatures due to low flow caused by excessively high viscosity for a longer period of time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
stovetop1
stovetop1 has a spectacular aura aboutstovetop1 has a spectacular aura about

mobil 1 start early though using synthetics on older cars can supposedly dislodge sludge and destroy your engine, so if you start synthetic under 150k you're probably good, i've been using synthetic since 60k and at 145 k now and it runs like new..., other wise pennzoil high mileage is actually good for dino I wouldnt use any other high mileage dino stuff, but probably just start at a good clean dino at 260k, high mileage is good if you burn alot of oil.

1 quart per 800 miles is a ton of oil.. I would actually recommend pennzoil high mileage 5w30 i used that on at saturn that burned alot of oil and it calmed it down ALOT. unless you wanna get new piston rings installed

Last edited by stovetop1; 04-19-2014 at 01:35 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stovetop1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stovetop1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stovetop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

^^^ is 100% myth.

I switched to synthetic at 185k in my SL2 (mostly due to the oil rebates -- see the sticky thread I started in the general forum to get good oil cheap).

All my cars have been switched over at anywhere to 100 - 200k miles. No issues at all, unless cleaning up the varnish inside of the engine is a bad thing.

MechE - I make things!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #12
Janitor Tzap
Janitor Tzap is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

I've used Amsoil on my previous vehicles, on new and rebuilt engines, and have had good results with it.

I've talked to many mechanic's about using a heavier viscosity oil on a older worn engines.
Most told me it will slow the burning a bit.
But you do have the trade off of more wear during start ups, and harder starting in colder climates.

As for switching from Dino to Synthetic on a 2002 SL1.........

I saw problems with Seals, Head & Oil Pan gaskets that failed.
After I did the switch to Amsoil.
But I can attribute these failures too the fact the SL1 was poorly maintained before I became it's third owner.

jcumens,
Your engine qualifies for a MMO Piston Soak.
wolfman has the procedure on the forum.

Then switch to a Synthetic oil, or stay with Dino oil.
But change your oil & filter every 3K faithfully.

Signed: Janitor Tzap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Janitor Tzap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Janitor Tzap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Janitor Tzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
^^^That is still a 30 weight oil. All you are accomplishing is increased engine wear at lower temperatures due to low flow caused by excessively high viscosity for a longer period of time.
I'm not sure there is any concern using a 10W30 VS 5W30 in temperatures above freezing. There is maybe some argument that the 10W30 has fewer viscosity improvers that aren't really needed in warmer temperatures anyway. How excessively high could the viscosity be at 0C or above? I'm sure at -20C or something lower, there might be a concern. I'm thinking about using Rotella 10W30 as my next change, for the summer. I haven't found a factual reason not to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
colonelhogan44
Master Member

1998 SL2

I can tell the difference in the way the 10w-30 flows, even at 75 Degrees when pouring it from a bottle. At 30 or so, it really becomes apparent.

I used 10w-30 for a long while while living in CA, but switched to 5w-30 at some point during that time. Why have any extra wear if it can be avoided?

MechE - I make things!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind999 View Post
I'm not sure there is any concern using a 10W30 VS 5W30 in temperatures above freezing. There is maybe some argument that the 10W30 has fewer viscosity improvers that aren't really needed in warmer temperatures anyway. How excessively high could the viscosity be at 0C or above? I'm sure at -20C or something lower, there might be a concern. I'm thinking about using Rotella 10W30 as my next change, for the summer. I haven't found a factual reason not to.
There are 6 different Rotella oils and they are far from the same formulas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #16
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I haven't decided if I will just use the conventional Rotella T 10W30 or the T5 Synthetic blend. Any reason why one or the other would be any extra wear over say Pennzoil 5W30 yellow bottle, for the summer months?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Those grade numbers represent a range of viscosities. With any non-pao oil formula the base oil is the lighter weight oil and VI improvers are added to make the oil pass the higher grade number. Now what do you think happens to film strength when they get excessively hot? All oil tis to thick to flow correctly until warmed up and it takes longer to get the 10w-30 to flow as compared to the 5w-30. A full synthetic is produced starting with the higher grade number base stock and then additives are used to produce the lower one. I most cases the pao base oil has a sufficiently high VI index that minimal additives are required to produce any given multigrade oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #18
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

And as such a 10w conventional would have less VI than a 5W. At well above freezing temps that most experience in the summer, the cold start viscosity at 50 or 60+ degrees is probably more influenced by the oil type than the base weight.

As for the hot temp, once again it's a swag. The OEM recommendations are for the original tolerances the engine was built to, not the worn tolerances that most cars now have unless they have a fresh rebuild.

Quite a few people run heavier weight oils without any known issues. As for the wear claims, without a lot of data it's just claims. Drive cycles and conditions will probably be the best guide to overall wear. Some will use the best available oils and spend more money avoiding a rebuild. Some will go cheap on oil and pay the extra money in earlier rebuilds.

It's your car.... pick your poison.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

For anyone who actually cares go look up your favorite brands of oil and then look at the available grades in each product line. Each product line has a different base oil. You will find some that have 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30 in a single product line but not many.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:05 AM   #20
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2

1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. My owner's manual recommends 10W-40. I've always been a Valvoline guy. Around 185k I noticed puffs of smoke coming out of my tailpipe. I never had to add oil prior to this between oil changes. I mentioned this to my mechanic and was asked how often I had to replace oil? I told him about every 800 miles I had to add one quart. He recommended that I run Synthetic Mobil 10W-30 in warm weather and 5W-30 in cold weather.

Around 192K miles I began using one quart every 300-400 miles of interstate driving, less when driving city streets. I happened to mention this to my barber who is a rodder and biker. He recommended I go to 30 SAE. As the oil burning became more steady it was suggested I used 50 SAE motorcycle oil during warm months and 30 SAE during winter driving.

If I can pickup a 2nd car, I will park my 99 SC2, and attempt a ring job or have a pro fix it.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote