SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Dannoel
Dannoel is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1
Default ECTS change, yet the problem persists

So I have been having some intermittent idle issues. My car runs fine otherwise but from time to time if I put it in park after driving for a while my RPM will jump up to around 2000. I had also noticed that my temp gauge tended to stay around the 1/4 mark all the time so I decided to change the ECTS. I followed the directions in Wolfman's how-to post and it was a really easy job. The old resin sensor was indeed cracked but the connector/wires looked good and no coolant was leaking. My temp gauge now appears to be correct but the idle problem is still there. I'm thinking it may be the TPS, because shutting off the car and starting it back up makes it idle normally (800-900 RPM).
Just want to know if yall' think I'm on the right track before I go buy a TPS. Thanks for the help.

Dan

2001 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dannoel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dannoel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dannoel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: ECTS change, yet the problem persists

When the fast idle consistently corrects if you shut off and restart the engine, the TPS is suspect. I replaced mine several years ago after a long bout with a 1700 rpm idle and the problem has never returned.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
ddeuces22
Advanced Member
ddeuces22 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

It's either that or a vacuum leak at cyl 1 intake manifold gasket. 3rd gens are notorious for this due to a wrinkle in the gasket.

You can either a.) observe your tps reading with a scan tool when your idle escalates. If it stays at 0 while idle rises it's not your tps sensor, if your tps % goes up with your idle and your not pressing the gas pedal then your tps is shot

B.) check for the vacuum leak with some carb cleaner. Spray at the intake manifold gasket right at cyl 1 and if your idle changes when you spray then you have a vacuum leak and that's what's causing your idle

Simply turning your car on and off is one way to get an idea the tps is going, it's nice to be sure though and those tests will determine that

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddeuces22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddeuces22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Dannoel

2001 SC1

Okay, I'll pick up some carb cleaner and check that first. I plan on getting my own OBDII code reader/real time scanner soon so if I don't find a vacuum leak then I'll check the TPS reading before I go buy a sensor.

Dan

2001 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dannoel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Before you buy any parts, clean the throttle body, make sure there it is sparkly clean. The slightest bit of crud can hold the t plate open just enough to make the idle high or low or just plain crappy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
Dannoel

2001 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLfun View Post
Before you buy any parts, clean the throttle body, make sure there it is sparkly clean. The slightest bit of crud can hold the t plate open just enough to make the idle high or low or just plain crappy.
Is there any specific method to cleaning it?
What sort of cleaner would you suggest I use?

Dan

2001 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 AM   #7
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannoel View Post
Is there any specific method to cleaning it?
What sort of cleaner would you suggest I use?
Brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner are good. You might use an old toothbrush or smaller brush to scrub inside the cavities, too.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Dannoel

2001 SC1

I received the OBDII reader that I ordered in the mail. I went for a short drive to make the problem appear and when I got back and put it in park it was idling around 2000 RPM. I plugged up my OBDII scanner and it showed that the absolute throttle position was 2.7%. I turned the car off for 5 seconds and turned it back on. The RPM went up to 1500 for a second then went down to about 900 and the absolute throttle position read 0%. So does this mean the sensor is shot? Or could a good throttle body cleaning still take care of it?

Dan

2001 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If you didn't touch the gas pedal between it idleing at 2000rpm @ 2.7% throttle and restarting at 900rpm @ 0% throttle than it's the sensor.

It's never a bad idea to clean the throttle body, and it's much much easier to take the TPS off with the throttle body off. You'll do a better cleaning of it with it off.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
Dannoel

2001 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
If you didn't touch the gas pedal between it idleing at 2000rpm @ 2.7% throttle and restarting at 900rpm @ 0% throttle than it's the sensor.

It's never a bad idea to clean the throttle body, and it's much much easier to take the TPS off with the throttle body off. You'll do a better cleaning of it with it off.
I watched Richpin's throttle body cleaning video and his TPS changing video. Looked to me like changing the TPS would be a lot easier to do with the throttle body off.
Thanks everyone, I'll let y'all know if it takes care of the problem.

Dan

2001 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannoel View Post
I had also noticed that my temp gauge tended to stay around the 1/4 mark all the time so I decided to change the ECTS.
If the ects did not correct the temp gauge reading then you need a thermostat. The gauge should read between 3/8 and 1/2 when fully warmed up.

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
Dannoel

2001 SC1

I'm a little late on this update, but I changed the TPS last Sunday and gave the throttle body a thorough cleaning. During my drive to church, my temp gauge fully redlined, which made absolutely no sense because its only a 5 minute drive to church and it was a cool morning. When I got back home I pulled out the ECTS and found that the whole brass tip was gone. I'm not sure how on earth this happened but I showed the piece to an old mechanic buddy of mine and he said that it must have been defective when I bought it (it was Duralast brand). So I picked up another ECTS and installed it. The difference is absolutely amazing! I feel like I have a whole new car. The high idle is gone, the accelerator was a little sticky and that's gone, the engine feels a little peppier, and my MPG's have gone from 31 to 36! I couldn't be happier, thanks everyone for the helpful info!

Dan

2001 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

The brass tip was gone, wow.

Glad you got it corrected, it's amazing how much control those buggers have!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote