SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
Aaron K.
Aaron K. is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1
Default Re: Rough idle and random high idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBA View Post
This is an outside the box idea, but if you can view when the EVAP system is opening on your scanner, you might be able to see if the high idle is happening during an EVAP event, if it is you might have a cracked hose, fitting, etc.
I dont know if my scanner app will show me that, but I'll check the next time I go out to mess with the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aaron K.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aaron K. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aaron K. is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
Aaron K.

2001 SC1

Any ideas on why the brand new TPS still reads out of range?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Aaron K. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #23
treylong
treylong is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron K. View Post
Any ideas on why the brand new TPS still reads out of range?
Did it come from Autozone??? lol Worked there for a good while and noticed alot of defective parts, including the front wheel bearing i purchased and drove on for 2k miles before it fell apart. got a complete spindle unit from a junk yard for 30 bucks, got my 60 back for the destroyed bearing from Autozone. Orielly has some pretty decent parts much rather recommend them. just my opinion no offense to anyone

Every action has a equal but opposite reaction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to treylong's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help treylong reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
treylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
Aaron K.

2001 SC1

No, I got it off amazon. I haven't had much time to mess with this issue because I had to replace the radiator the other day and now it seems the battery is on its way out. Now that I think about it, could a bad/dying battery throw the TPS out of whack?

Anyway, I don't think the TPS is the cause of the rough idle, and I already have the intake manifold gasket, so I think I may just replace it anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #25
racinginblood
racinginblood will become famous soon enough

1998 SL1

low battery voltage definately cause all sorts of woes with this car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racinginblood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racinginblood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racinginblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
Aaron K.

2001 SC1

New battery....same TPS voltage and the same rough idle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #27
Aaron K.

2001 SC1

Replaced the intake manifold gasket....no change in idle. TPS voltage now reads .74 - 4.03. WTF?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #28
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not sure why a new tps failed to correct this issue except for a non OEM part? Any vacuum leaks not checked for? Worn throttle pivots allowing a vacuum leak? Try spraying around the throttle pivots with the engine idling.

List all that was done.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
Aaron K.

2001 SC1

I've replaced/cleaned the following:
- Replaced plugs
- Replaced wires
- Replaced PCV w/ fixed opening
- Replaced front O2 sensor
- Replaced thermostat
- Replaced TPS
- Replaced battery
- Replaced intake manifold gasket
- Cleaned TB
- Cleaned IAC
- Cleaned EGR
- Cleaned post secondary air induction ports in exhaust manifold and head

The TPS is an OEM ACDelco PN 21024706. I'm gonna try putting the old one back on and see what kind of voltage readings I get. What do you mean by throttle pivots? I've tried spraying carb cleaner around all the vacuum lines I could find as well as all over the engine bay in general in case I missed something several times now with no result. One thing I haven't changed is the ETCS because when I checked it when I got the car, it was brass tipped and all the connections looked good. I probably should have done it before the IMG, but I think that will be my next step since its cheap and easy enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #30
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The brass sensor stains from normal use and is just a cosmetic appearance, having no effect on electronic performance. As long as the temperature gauge indicates anywhere from 3/8ths to 1/2 then the coolant sensor and t-stat are in good operating condition. The engine warming up quickly and displaying needle position at 3/8ths within 10 minutes of driving is another indication of good parts operating as designed.

Throttle pivot holes; the throttle plate is attached to the throttle shaft with one end of the shaft protruding out the side of the throttle body to have a throttle cam, return spring and cable attachment while the other end of this throttle shaft is hidden by the throttle position sensor. The throttle shaft may wear down the drilled holes over the years and allow a vacuum leak for air entry. There may be a felt washer or two on both sides of the throttle shaft that prevents air ingestion and may be worn. This may cause erratic changes in idle sometimes. While not a common occurrence it should be considered and checked by examining the throttle linkage; disconnecting the throttle cable will release any tension and allow you to move the throttle by hand and see if any side play exists - opening/closing throttle and see if any side play occurs that would imply the throttle shaft holes are well worn and may allow a small amount of air to cause erratic idling.

Any aftermarket electronics? Battery, battery cables, their connections possibly loose? Loose/worn belt tensioner allowing the alternator to slip and not operate smoothly to supply all the electrical needs of the car's electrical/electronics? Measured battery/alternator output? 12.3v on standby, 13.3v-14.7v engine idling?

VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 04-13-2013 at 03:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You may have to perform an iacv test to check its capability to operate correctly; with a fully warmed engine, cover the small hole in front of the throttle plate with a finger (this is the iacv bypass air port), the engine will drop idle down to 500-600 rpm to reflect factory throttle setting, unblock the hole and the low rpm idle will jump immediately then return back to normal idle. Simply blocking the bypass air port sets off the pcm to command the iacv to retract and allow more air into the (blocked) bypass port but since its blocked the iacv retracts fully because the pcm hasn't detected any rpm rise. Removing your finger to unblock the port now allows a sudden rush of additional air into the engine via the iacv in fully retracted position to suddenly raise engine rpm quickly until the pcm notices and quickly commands the iacv to extend until the rpm's return back to normal, 800-900 rpm. The iacv is tested for complete retraction and extension this way. Any slow movement, stickiness or no movement will be seen as idle speed changes different from what's described.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #32
Aaron K.

2001 SC1

Well I haven't really messed with this issue in a while. I got tired of checking this and changing that and getting nowhere. Last time I did anything was about a month ago when I put the old TPS back on. The voltage remained in the .74 - 4.03 range, same as with the new one, so there must be something else causing the odd voltage. Also, the car hasn't done the typical bad TPS thing revving up to 2K when coming to a stop like it occasionally did before.

Unless I'm feeling overly motivated (not likely) or I get real tired of the rough idle I'm gonna let my MPG be my gauge as far as when I'm gonna mess with this issue anymore. I'm getting about 34.5mpg on average with about 90% highway driving at 80mph. I feel like I could do a little better, but I figure that's pretty good so I'm just gonna let it ride as is for now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #33
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2

Quote:
I just went out and re-cleaned the TB and IAC and to double check all my vacuum lines and all. TB was pretty dirty, almost like I had never cleaned it before, but it cleaned up much easier than the first time. The IAC looked good but I cleaned it again anyway. I haven't put it all back together yet so I dunno if what I've done has fixed anything yet, I'm taking a lunch/ask a question break.

Of the two vacuum tubes that mount to the top of the TB, the smaller one runs to the front of the car to the secondary air/smog pump. The larger one runs to the back of the engine to some sort vacuum junction type of thing underneath the intake manifold and above the starter. It looks like there is at least one more line that runs to it (fuel line, maybe a return line or something). What is it and what does it do? I can barely see it from the top. It's a little loose, I can wiggle it a little with my finger.
air/smog pump? Do you mean the opposite end of the plenum from the throttle body? At the passenger side of the plenum is the MAP sensor. There's an electrical connection and a vacuum hose.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:55 AM   #34
BIGGUNDOCTOR
BIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura aboutBIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura aboutBIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2

Have you done a compression test?

My 99 has a rough idle, but starts up, and cruises down the freeway with a slight stumble if the revs get under 2,500

Just did a compression test and I got, 147, 32, 163, 0 I am really surprised at how well it runs with a dead cylinder. Well 1.75 dead cylinders.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BIGGUNDOCTOR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BIGGUNDOCTOR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BIGGUNDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #35
Aaron K.

2001 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGUNDOCTOR View Post
Have you done a compression test?

My 99 has a rough idle, but starts up, and cruises down the freeway with a slight stumble if the revs get under 2,500

Just did a compression test and I got, 147, 32, 163, 0 I am really surprised at how well it runs with a dead cylinder. Well 1.75 dead cylinders.
I haven't done a compression test, but maybe I'll go rent the equipment from Autozone the next time I'm near there.

Everything is pretty much the same as when I started this thread. MPG is still good and I occasionally get above 35 so I have pretty much left well enough alone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #36
Aaron K.

2001 SC1

Quote:
Everything is pretty much the same as when I started this thread. MPG is still good and I occasionally get above 35 so I have pretty much left well enough alone.
So much for that! I pulled into my spot at work two days after that post and guess what happened when I put it in park? Revved up to 2K after not doing it for almost a year! Looks like I have to swap my other TPS back on.

I also noticed some transmission issues shifting into third and hesitating/slamming into reverse the past few trips to and from work. I read about the fix for reverse and have seen mention of a TPS causing shifting issues. I'm hoping that TPS will fix that too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!