SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
1.9 sohc
1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1
2002 SL1
Default How I installed an LED dome and trunk light cheap

I used these panel kits I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300878065830...84.m1497.l2649

10packs like this came in the mail :

Here are the connectors, these 3 come in each pack with each LED panel.

Here is a video from Richpin that shows how to remove the dome lens, its not as easy as it looks I broke a piece of the white housing off because my lens was stuck and the white housing was brittle. It also shows how to remove the housing in case you royally break it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv2CU9VAHFg

I determined that the type of bulb connectors were not made for the Saturn's dome and trunk light. (But will work in a lot of my other cars) I made them work anyway. I took two of the chrome based bulb connectors and cut the wires off near the chrome and stripped about a half an inch of the insulation off. Then I wrapped the bare wire end around the power terminals in the dome light housing. You can see it in this pic:

If they don't light up just turn the plug around and they will work.

Here they are both wired and on, hanging before I put the lens back:

Two fit perfectly! You can bunch up the wires up in the opening above where the factory bulb was.

Now for the trunk light. This one is easy!
Pop out the factory housing with a screw driver. Unplug it, it had a pinch connector you can squeeze while you remove. Then you have this:

Now here is the magic, the two pin connector on the LED panel plugs straight into the factory plug! If it doesn't light, again just flip the connector around.

Now just take the double stick backing off the back of the LED panel, push the wires up in the hole and stick the panel over the hole.

Walaa, LED trunklight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1.9 sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1.9 sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1.9 sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
FullNelson13
FullNelson13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2000 SL1
Default Re: How I installed an LED dome and trunk light cheap

NICE! I'm gonna order these right now actually.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FullNelson13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FullNelson13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FullNelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Nice, thanks for sharing and for the link.

How bright is the light output? Any heat from the leds while on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
1.9 sohc
1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim97sl2 View Post
Nice, thanks for sharing and for the link.

How bright is the light output? Any heat from the leds while on?
There is some heat from the LEDS while on, Id guess its hard to say how much but not enough I couldnt hold them. Maybe if they were left on a long time they'd get warmer.

The light output is very bright. I'd say one panel is brighter than the stock bulb, I used 2 panels. Since they are a flat panel the light is kind of one directional. The LED light is a cool white and doesnt light the same as a "warm yellow" you might say an incandescent bulb is. To me this can make it seem like the light doesnt travel out as far maybe? Thats why I used two. If you like the cool white look you will really like them. Its takes a little getting used to, as even the interior seat color takes on a different hue in the light.

My SL doesnt have floor lighting so that makes the dark corners more noticable too. I do plan to possibly look for wires to see if they are there for floor lights and wire some LEDS there.

I put one panel in my S10's dome and it seems bright enough.

There are other LEDS out there, but these were so inexpensive I couldnt pass them up.

Last edited by 1.9 sohc; 10-04-2013 at 08:57 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1.9 sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

This is a lot easier, just change the bulb....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...d-festoon/244/

Seven colors, a little brighter than stock...
Fits Gen 1 and 2 trunk lights too..

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
1.9 sohc

2002 SL1
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post

Yep there are alot of LEDs out there. It all depends on what you are looking for. I will use all 10 that I got for $14, and each came with 3 adapters I will use elseware. I like the wires because i can put them in places they werent intended to be too. That one is $5 for one (I'm not sure of there is shipping fee also.) But I think "Superbright LEDs" might be made in America which is a plus!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
cfelten
cfelten is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Quote:

Will fit gen 3 as well in the trunk and dome light. I got one for my '01 SL1, but the issue I have with the dome light is even when it isn't on, there is a light glow (current running through). Could install a resistor, but honestly, it is so dim, that it doesn't really bother me. MIght bother others, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfelten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfelten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfelten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #8
saturnhusker
saturnhusker is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelten View Post
Will fit gen 3 as well in the trunk and dome light. I got one for my '01 SL1, but the issue I have with the dome light is even when it isn't on, there is a light glow (current running through). Could install a resistor, but honestly, it is so dim, that it doesn't really bother me. MIght bother others, though.
I have the same with mine but will go out when car is shut off and key out. It bugged me so I checked it out a few minutes it went out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhusker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhusker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

My trunk light stopped working, replaced with an OEM bulb and housing, stopped working again. If it turns out to be the bulb I may have to try this

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #10
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2

Quote:

Nice mattwithcats. I've been wanting to change as many incandescent lights with LED's as possible. Wish this technology was available when our cars were manufactured, though.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote