SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line
Default Trailer Mod

So I just bought an HF trailer. Im moving back to IL in one month and want to register it there instead of MI. Will I run into issues with towing it back w/o current registration(only bought it 2 days ago)?

'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Trailer Mod

It seems that MI has a permanent, nonexpiring plate/registration. So i may as well register it here.

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Here in Utah, if it is below a certain size (and a HF trailer would be), registration is optional.

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve": 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

I also think its screwed they dont have temp tags.

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Registration may be optional for the state you have vehicle plates for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
I also think its screwed they dont have temp tags.
Who doesn't? HF?

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Tags are issued by the state/municipality you live in, unless they really don't have that option.

I'm kinda thinking of something along the lines of Gimp/Photoshop & cardstock paper...but I don't think I'd want to bring that to Kinko's to print out
Found a couple of examples but I dunno if they're valid for trailers:
VT temp plate: http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Vermont2/vt2014temp.jpg
NH: http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/pl8z/nhtemp.jpg

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

What state plates are on the car? Get a plate to match if it is required.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

It was 30 for a temp(not an option shown online) or 75 for permanent. I just got the permanent one as I doubt anyone in the next couple of years is going to care about the car w/IL plates and trailer w/MI plate in Iowa City. lol

Also, there wasnt anything like "in transit" just to get me over the border. Id rather fork over the money for the full registration vs. having a trooper stop me for that very reason.

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You rarely get much grief for having mismatched plates on cars and trailers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #11
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you did, then what about all the tractor-trailers with mismatching plates? I don't see how you could get grief.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It provides a valid excuse to pull you over and go fishing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
whoodiestyle
whoodiestyle is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Exactly unless you have nothing to hide. I wouldn't personally risk it to save a few bucks vs a chance of a ticket.

95 sl1 @ 230k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whoodiestyle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whoodiestyle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whoodiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Even then, as long as nothing is in view (or smell) of the officer, you don't have to consent to a search of your vehicle. Course, if he does see or smell something, you're in trouble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

He wouldnt be able to smell anything over the stench of oil. Not that I partake in any "unsavory" habits.

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Every cop I know can smell all kinds of things that have no smell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Can you claim the trailer is owned by someone in WI? (No, NOT me...) WI has no registration for small trailers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #18
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

That would have been a nice trick to use. Oh well, drove with the trailer full of apt stuff and another engine/trans from a car i scrapped. With over 1000lbs behind me i managed to get 23mpg going 65-70, and got 27.5mpg with a fairly empy trailer on the way back.

Sure as hell beats paying for a uhaul and the 12mpg youd get in that thing.

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #19
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2

Quote:
True. I wouldn't have pulled you over if your trailer plates were not from same State as your vehicle.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #20
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Techincally the car is still owned by my mother(IL), and im a University of Iowa student working at an internship in MI. So if they really want to be that much of a dick and give me a ticket over that, I have a pretty good excuse for the mismatching plates. lol

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!