SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Mr.Dotson
Mr.Dotson is on a distinguished road

Default 1993 Saturn problems. Fan ect

Hello, today I bought a 1993 Saturn twin cam automatic with 85xxx miles on it now everything was fine for the 1st 6 or 7 miles. So here is the problems it idles around 300rpm and jerks really bad also in the 50 miles i put on it to get it home its used about a half tank of gas. Also the fan will only kick on if the ac is running so the car runs a bit hot unless the ac is on. Can anyone please help?

Checked the relay for the fan, also the fuses under hood.
The heater works really good its over hot, no smoke of any kind from anything, also no mixing of oil with another fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr.Dotson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr.Dotson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr.Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2
Default Re: 1993 Saturn problems. Fan ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dotson View Post
Hello, today I bought a 1993 Saturn twin cam automatic with 85xxx miles on it now everything was fine for the 1st 6 or 7 miles. So here is the problems it idles around 300rpm and jerks really bad also in the 50 miles i put on it to get it home its used about a half tank of gas. Also the fan will only kick on if the ac is running so the car runs a bit hot unless the ac is on. Can anyone please help?

The heater works really good its over hot, no smoke of any kind from anything, also no mixing of oil with another fluid.
Wow, only 85k on a 93. What a great buy. Your 1993 is a Gen 1 so I don't know whether you have a throttle body with IACV (idle air control valve) and TPS (throttle position switch) as does my Gen 2 99 SC2. You may need to replace both the IACV and TPS due to low idle and jerking. I know idle RPM for my 99 SC2 is 800 RPM. The IACV should cure the idle RPM and possibly the jerking. Regarding the high fuel usage sounds like the TPS is not performing correctly.

The overheating sounds like the coolant temperature sensor is bad or the radiator fan is not working, or both.

Have you checked Rich Pinard's videos on Saturn repairs on youtube? his videos covering the Saturn can be found by his handle richpin06a.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

You probably need to change the $15 2-wire ECTS. If you want the easy way to get the right one tell the counter person your car is a '97.

This list is what you need to start with: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177672

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
SaturnAndBeyond
SaturnAndBeyond is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dotson View Post

*Whistles* That is quite the buy. I thought my 92 with 130K(At time of purchase, 1 year ago) was a good buy. Mine hails in comparison.

Though, I wanna say that hooked2u's right: You'll need to buy the IACV and TPS to get those problems fixed. I know that my idle(Being a manual) is supposed to be a little lower than the auto's, so you should definitely only be running around 8-900 at idle.

1992 Saturn SL1 "Sally"(Scrapped, 10Jul16)
1992 Saturn SL2 "Baby Blue"
2000 Subaru Forester S "Eileen"
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX "Sophie"
2014 Suzuki Boulevard M50 "Suzie"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnAndBeyond's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnAndBeyond reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnAndBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:38 AM   #5
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Though fetchitfido is probably right about the ECTS. If your fan only comes on with the AC. How high does your temperature gauge go without turning on the fan (assuming you're not moving). It's not that hot out around here yet.

If it gets to the red (or much above the 3/4 mark), then you are 95% likely to need an ECTS (engine coolant temperature sensor) replacement. Your car, being a 1993 has two sensors on the driver's side of the head. The one with two wires is the ECTS and the one with one wire is just the sending unit for the temperature gauge. Cars 1996 and newer only had the one ECTS sensor that performed both functions.

I found this thread that shows someone replacing the ECTS on a 1995 head (which has the two sensors I mentioned). Your car will look something like this except that the EGR valve is the older vacuum style rather than the newer electronic style (that change was made in 1995). So the ECTS is under the EGR valve (of course) while the temperature gauge sending unit (single wire) is the one you can see next to the EGR valve).

Oh and welcome to Saturnfans.com.... and to the joy of Saturn S-series ownership!

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 207,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

Last edited by cityhawk; 04-25-2014 at 01:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote