SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default More Rust on Rear Gate - Below Window

As temps finally went above the 60 degree mark yest I was able to change out my License plate lamps that have been burned out for some time.

Upon examination I'm noting what appears to be rust festering & paint lift inside the area where the rear window meets the metal gate. I have thought I had seen this a few times though not nearly as common as the rust area above the chrome applique handle (as I already had & had repaired).

Anyone else see or have this problem? I'm sure the window will have to be 'broken' to make a proper repair if I choose to do so.

Side note I replaced the lamps with 194 Xeon Super brights with the blue glass, very disappointed, a bit whiter but still looks incandecent & not as bright as what was in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: More Rust on Rear Gate - Below Window

Just curious - do you know which brand of front/rear window washing fluid you use?

Many commonly used cleaners have chemicals proven to destroy plastic emblems and are also not good for vehicle finish.

RainX is specifically mentioned as possibly harmful for plastics and painted surfaces.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Yes, common on 06-07, that chrome emblems corrodes paint.
With a bit of searching you can find two threads:

probably more for you are you are pass the warranty period: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...light=tailgate

long one but older, more to do with warranty claims: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...light=tailgate

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Bismarck318

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasy View Post
Yes, common on 06-07, that chrome emblems corrodes paint.
With a bit of searching you can find two threads:

probably more for you are you are pass the warranty period: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...light=tailgate

long one but older, more to do with warranty claims: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...light=tailgate
Been there & done that with the Handle, Under 3 years old, Saturn claimed 'too many miles' (69K), had to pay out of pocket $350 ... this one I imagine wil cost a mint if I decide to fix it.... a my bodyman could not keep my 7 year old Camry rust free, he asked when I'm 'going to throw in the towel' (had to get rid of it for hidden rust hole under the windshield moulding VERY expensive repair). This is NOT the handle problem, but a whole different rust issue but may related & be from something rubbing under the window where it's hidden, salt must get up there & fester. Eventually I'll have bubbling below the back window, I've seen a couple this has happened to ('06 & '07 again) I was 'just lucky' to get one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Just curious - do you know which brand of front/rear window washing fluid you use?

Many commonly used cleaners have chemicals proven to destroy plastic emblems and are also not good for vehicle finish.

RainX is specifically mentioned as possibly harmful for plastics and painted surfaces.
Generally the Red -30 stuff from Target (had a stock in the garage), but over the years I may have used the Purple -35, & I did have a gallon of the rain repellant (orange) I may have used one summer.

The blue stuff is totally ineffective here, & can create more of a hazard than good instantly freezing on glass...Oil change places may had topped with that a few times, so generally there is a reddish purplish mix in there now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
This is NOT the handle problem, but a whole different rust issue but may related & be from something rubbing under the window where it's hidden, salt must get up there & fester. Eventually I'll have bubbling below the back window, I've seen a couple this has happened to ('06 & '07 again) I was 'just lucky' to get one!
Man, you must be living in a high salt area.
We get almost non here at all, so cars from 20-30 years ago still look like new with out any rust protection.
I'm having the tailgate repainted as mine is having a few rust bubbles under that handle and I wanna nip it in the butt.

You will probably just need to take it to a shop and have it fixed and re-painted if it is bugging you. Car is already 7 years old, sounds like it held up better then Camry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
As temps finally went above the 60 degree mark yest I was able to change out my License plate lamps that have been burned out for some time.

Upon examination I'm noting what appears to be rust festering & paint lift inside the area where the rear window meets the metal gate. I have thought I had seen this a few times though not nearly as common as the rust area above the chrome applique handle (as I already had & had repaired).

Anyone else see or have this problem? I'm sure the window will have to be 'broken' to make a proper repair if I choose to do so.

Side note I replaced the lamps with 194 Xeon Super brights with the blue glass, very disappointed, a bit whiter but still looks incandecent & not as bright as what was in there.
I posted a separate note elsewhere but I noticed some brown rust dripping down from under the license plate light area. Wiped the residue off and sprayed rust proof spray under the chromed plastic Saturn cover. So far have not seen the run off but obviously there is a problem under there somewhere but not willing to take it apart at this point or spend any money yet. I'll keep an eye on it though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

The way to prevent rust is to live where it rarely rains, much less where there are snow and salt issues. Seriously: Thanks to SaturnFans, I learned about this when my Vue was new.

I never use the rear washer and I keep the lift gate as clean as possible. I try to wash it once a week. I wax once a month with carnuba wax. Between washes, I use a Quick Detailer and spray wax. I do this with the hood, as well. Good luck with your Vue.

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Man, you must be living in a high salt area.
We get almost non here at all, so cars from 20-30 years ago still look like new with out any rust protection.
I'm having the tailgate repainted as mine is having a few rust bubbles under that handle and I wanna nip it in the butt.

You will probably just need to take it to a shop and have it fixed and re-painted if it is bugging you. Car is already 7 years old, sounds like it held up better then Camry
Where in Canada are you, & what do they use for de-icing?

As living on the 'Angry White Planet' it consisantly will snow from as early as late October untill possibly early May.. this past weekend about 6 inches. Morton Salt is a big employer, so this stuff is not going away. Recently they had added a liquid brine de-icing material which they also use to treat roads before snow fall. This de-icer seeps into flimsy design of the Vues bearings (no wonder my Vue has had 10 Wheel bearing services already. As it's been so cold, whhen the lake freezes over the pretty much daily lake effect snows stop but for some reason not this year (must be the Govt Playing around with the HAARP). As I live near an expressway I have salt seeping into my Basement, I have to change out my TV antenna Connectors about every year & a half due to the salt content in the air.... when it dries up this becomes like a 'dust' in the air, we are breathing it & it's all over the inside of the car at this point.

I think this was my logic on my purchase of the Vue was to NOT have to worry about Body Rust issues, though the vehicle seems to have a few vunerable spots, reason Why I asked. They should have made the gate out of composite fiberglass much like my TranSport & Lumina APV... in my area these either have had the chemicals take their toll on the undercarrages or they are plain wore out mechanically. I may had even been willing to purchase one of these new (even at $20K), though vehicles like this are simply no longer made.

I had posted pictures of what these chemicals did to my former snowflakes on another thread.... currently are eating away my new alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7Mayberry View Post
The way to prevent rust is to live where it rarely rains, much less where there are snow and salt issues. Seriously: Thanks to SaturnFans, I learned about this when my Vue was new.

I never use the rear washer and I keep the lift gate as clean as possible. I try to wash it once a week. I wax once a month with carnuba wax. Between washes, I use a Quick Detailer and spray wax. I do this with the hood, as well. Good luck with your Vue.
I thought either Road & Track or C&D years ago listed cities where it's difficult to keep a car looking good, L.A. was on the top of the list followed by numerous sunbelt cities, Chicago came in 9th, Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester or Pittsburg were never mentioned in this survey.

Unfortunately not all of us were blessed to be placed in an area like So Cal, this area is NOT an area for a car person. We used to washdown vehicles here with kerosene in fall or early winter which was the best defense, & spray the undercarrages with oil. Be thankful you don't have to deal with this.

Let alone if I had the time to keep up with your maintence schedule, we go through long snaps of cold (months below freezing), that makes washing useless if not impossible... best to leave the vehicle outside in the cold as these chemicals react even more violently when the temps rise & are not washed of by rain or otherwise.... many places around my area have this brine on the roads which resembles a fine sand... hope for a nice rain to wash (most of) it away & no more snow.

I may contact the body shop that did the gate & ask if they ever seen anything like this, as they were doing the gate work for Saturn years back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Where in Canada are you, & what do they use for de-icing?
Vancouver. They don't really use de-icing because we don't get ice here.
We maybe get 1 or 2 days of snow a year and perhaps 10 day of de-icing compound on the road, so this saved cars from getting salt related rust.
it rains a lot in the winter so some very light surface rust can develop on the undercarriage but that's the extend of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Old 04-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I thought either Road & Track or C&D years ago listed cities where it's difficult to keep a car looking good, L.A. was on the top of the list followed by numerous sunbelt cities, Chicago came in 9th, Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester or Pittsburgh were never mentioned in this survey.
Cities in the Southeast have humid summers. The problem in LA is the ocean air. That is why it is important to keep the car clean and waxed. Paint technology has improved quite a bit since that survey was done and all modern cars use anti-corrosion technology.

I spent one winter in Rhode Island, where there were indoor car washes. I could drive in and spray hot water with a high pressure nozzle. I also washed the underside of the car, as best I could.

I realize that it is much more difficult to maintain a car in a harsh, winter climate. Everyone I know, in an automobile job, agrees that keeping a car clean and waxed will go a long way to prevent or delay problems with the paint or rust.

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
I posted a separate note elsewhere but I noticed some brown rust dripping down from under the license plate light area. Wiped the residue off and sprayed rust proof spray under the chromed plastic Saturn cover. So far have not seen the run off but obviously there is a problem under there somewhere but not willing to take it apart at this point or spend any money yet. I'll keep an eye on it though.
In my instance that may be coming from the License plate itself as they are hellbent on using 'cold rolled steel' in my state (actually the 'Law' & this can't be changed, go figure) & when stamping the dies cut into the lamination, when salt gets behind the lamination rust & corrosion forms making the plates unreadable especially at night ... they (the BMV) has been using this process for over 20 years now & refuse to change it.

The Body shop who fixed the rust on my handle seemed to do an exceptional job, although they didn't (& no body shop here will) warrant against further rust, it seems to be holding up. They put a rubber membrane between the handle & body (their own design) that is suppose to prevent this. If anyone is in NE Ohth or NW PA PM me I'll give you their name.. They were able to give me a quote over the phone as they have done this too many times.. abour $350 in January of '09)

After a Professional door rust repair on my Camry, I had orange seeping out of the seam in a repaired area within a week..... these things just aren't meant to be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Cities in the Southeast have humid summers. The problem in LA is the ocean air. That is why it is important to keep the car clean and waxed. Paint technology has improved quite a bit since that survey was done and all modern cars use anti-corrosion technology.

I spent one winter in Rhode Island, where there were indoor car washes. I could drive in and spray hot water with a high pressure nozzle. I also washed the underside of the car, as best I could.

I realize that it is much more difficult to maintain a car in a harsh, winter climate. Everyone I know, in an automobile job, agrees that keeping a car clean and waxed will go a long way to prevent or delay problems with the paint or rust.
Quite Familiar with similar issues on the northeast coast of Florida (as I spent a spell of time there), but go a few blocks in from the ocean & the problem goes away substantionally.

Washing a car here in the winter is kinda a stratigic thing, car usually dirty by the time it gets back home. Just this past Christmas Eve my door suddenly became unlatched due to internal parts freezing the day after a washing... I do like to 'wipe the slate clean' a few times a year, & also spot wash vulnerable parts with hot water (ie the gate, wheels door handles) when I can, the salt chemical is also a caustic & seems to burn my skin, I like to keep the door/trunk handles clean if possible.

Vasy, forgot there are milder places in Canada, I've had holes in floorboards, to complete brake failure due to salt damage, just about every vehicle I've owned sucumbed to excessive rust/frame damage.

Last edited by Bismarck318; 04-04-2014 at 12:44 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

I did wax underneath the window in this channel with a Q-tip & running a rag in this area when I waxed, hard to do this though it still didn't save this area. I'm wondering if something vibrates where the body contacts a gasket or glass. I never seen this on a pre-'06.

I might be better off finding an older gate (pre 2006) from the sunbelt in Silver if it fits & better yet with a lock. Would be so equiped to keep the BCM happy? (ie: would the remote lock intigrate into this?)

I'm betting the repair on this one will be astronomical since rear window will need be removed.... imagine $100's in bodyshop labor.

I'm also starting to notice small bubbles underneath the paint on the inside the underside of the lower gate (typical GM Seam rust), though nothing looks like it's breaking through the paint yet. I try to spot wash this area too, though this is vunerable to salt & a catch all for dirt as it catches the runoff from the roof.

The Ad gods here are trying to hawk me into a New Land Rover Discovery or Mitsubishi SUV

Last edited by Bismarck318; 04-16-2014 at 12:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
I might be better off finding an older gate (pre 2006) from the sunbelt in Silver if it fits.....
Nah, just go to local junk yard and replace the chrome piece with the plastic one. It will stop the corrosion in that area.
But if you live in a salt area... sooner or later the rust is gonna get you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Old 04-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Nah, just go to local junk yard and replace the chrome piece with the plastic one. It will stop the corrosion in that area.
But if you live in a salt area... sooner or later the rust is gonna get you.
The chrome handle was successfully fixed in early 2009, my concern now is it is bubbling in the channel immeadiately below the rear window on that painted ledge that is really not visible... yet, the rust will creep downward & travel along the window.

Now the process on the handle (unfortunately) will have to be redone once again, as I imagine the entire gate will have to be sprayed.... I can't see any rust around the handle... they did a great job that Saturn should have done in the first place.

Local junk yard?? there are really no more in my area anymore, added to the fact I may just get another rusty or rust prone part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

Note, one of my U Bodies I picked up spent 5-6 years in the Philadelphia area right before I took possesion. The undercarrage was in beautiful shape unlike the ones of the same year I looked at here already had scale forming on the undercarrage components & uniframe.

They re-treated the roads a couple mornings ago for a snowfall..now some roads are back to a powdery mess. Something we use exclusively in this area is extremly caustic to metals, ODOT seems to be quite proud of this process, perhaps we are just Morton Salts guinea pigs. .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #17
Martyx11x11
Martyx11x11 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 3.5L

I to had lots of rust around my tailgate handle on my 2006 silver vue. Last week I found someone selling parts off a 2004 Saturn Vue on Kijiji.ca. The guy was like 5 minuets away. I went to look at it and for having 250.000 km on it was RUST FREE. Got it for $80 bucks and fits great with no problems There is one problem the colour code for 2006 is different then 2004 but you cant see much of a differents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Martyx11x11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Martyx11x11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Martyx11x11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #18
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyx11x11 View Post
Got it for $80 bucks and fits great with no problems
I went to local junk yard, they wanted $600 for the complete rear door
I'm going to re-paint the entire rear door with spray can paint. I'll try to film the process and show the results if everything turn out well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Old 04-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #19
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyx11x11 View Post
I to had lots of rust around my tailgate handle on my 2006 silver vue. Last week I found someone selling parts off a 2004 Saturn Vue on Kijiji.ca. The guy was like 5 minuets away. I went to look at it and for having 250.000 km on it was RUST FREE. Got it for $80 bucks and fits great with no problems There is one problem the colour code for 2006 is different then 2004 but you cant see much of a differents.
There ya go! (now likely the hardest part would be getting help installing it as I know its likely a 2-3 man operation)

So I'm taking that no one here has seen or had rust along below the back window on the gate? Not nearly as common as the handle rust, but they seem to go hand & glove leading me to believe this is a bad process they used, possible paint flaw? (ie: the few I had seen with the window rust, had the gate rust also) If it is a bad process, what, something rubbing below the lower glass similar to the handle area.... Going back to the handle, it really hasnt been determines the root cause of the handle rust, all speculative (rubbing, chemical reaction to the paint).

Doesn't seem anyone in the sunbelt has these issues either, all in cold/damp weather cities.... possibly salt & expansion/contraction of the cold causing this too.

Yeah, $600 seems steep may be rivaling the cost of having the gate fixed & painted (again)... I'll have about $1200 in repairs into GM's 'engineering flaw' on this one coming out of my pocket when all is said & done if I get it repaired again.

Vasy, I take it that's your '07 Greenline that is rusting?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #20
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Vasy, I take it that's your '07 Greenline that is rusting?
Just around the handle. There is no other rust spots on the rest of the car. I'd live with it but there is also a dent in a door that needs to be fixed I'll take care of both at the same time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation