SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default 2007 vue

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything here and especially since my 4 cyl automatic has been so reliable I really haven't had a reason to do so. It has the equivalent of about 41,000 miles.The only thing I noticed the other day was the horrific first signs of that brown rust residue somewhere under the chrome piece over the rear license plate. I sprayed oil under the chrome cover and it seems to be preventing any further spread (at the moment).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2007 vue

From what I have read, that's pretty common on the 06-07 type tailgates.

I don';t know if there is anything short of removing that chrome trim piece and repairing the rust. It's certainly not going to get better, try to take care of it while it's at a manageable level before rust turns into rot.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

It is a known issue on 07 VUE.
There is a TSB on it so you might ask of GM would fix it for you, if too far past the date, the only proper fix is to re-paint the whole tail gate.
A small shop that rebuilds cars would do it for about $300, a pro shop would charge about $700.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

There isn't much you can do. Ours developed rust and was repainted, along with foam liner applied between the chrome trim and the tailgate, during body work associated with a rear-end collision. It's already back and a little worse than before. Fortunately (?) the car was rear-ended again, and the body shop is going to refinish the rust since there's a lifetime warranty on the work from the first repair.

I will say, this thing's a tough old bird. Two rear-enders, both with substantial damage to the other car (one totaled), and all it really required was a new bumper cover and some touching up.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Yep, all too common. I have it on my 2006. I got a quote from a local GM dealership and they wanted $1,100 but gave me a "discount" to bring it down to $950. Plus, they wouldn't even warranty the work from future incidents. Needless to say I still have to shop around and get another quote.

The issue exists for a couple of reasons. The chrome metal on the shiny back piece (holds Saturn logo) has a chemical reaction to the metal of the lift gate. This is made worse by the fact that the chrome piece sits directly on the paint of the lift gate and eventually wears through to the bare metal. I believe this is even made worse by the fact that the rear windshield washer fluid slides right down into that area. A lot of people don't realize how caustic washer fluid can be to a vehicle's finish, especially exposed metal.

When the repair is completed, GM has a rubber gasket that goes between both parts to supposedly remove the chance of this happening. The best solution I've heard though is that once the repair is complete is to use a Vue Redline piece (painted to match the body colour) to replace the chrome piece.

Although I've heard this issue is related to the Vue, according to the GM dealership I was at, it's becoming more and more common with other GM vehicles that had the back chrome piece. A very poor design decision by GM at the end of the day. Much more frustrating though on a vehicle that was sold with the idea of "rust proof"...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Routs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Routs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

My Vue just turned 7 years old. There is no rust on the lift gate. I never use the rear washer. The one time I did, the fluid ran all over the paint. I figured it was better to use a spray bottle and paper towels to clean the window.

Thanks to all of the posts on SaturnFans, I also wax the lift gate once or twice a month. Hopefully this will prevent or delay rust problems. It doesn't hurt that I live in a dry climate that gets little rain.

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
cam

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortugalFocus View Post
From what I have read, that's pretty common on the 06-07 type tailgates.

I don';t know if there is anything short of removing that chrome trim piece and repairing the rust. It's certainly not going to get better, try to take care of it while it's at a manageable level before rust turns into rot.
I've sprayed it with a rust preventative and applied several coats of thick oil. It seems to have stopped the rust bleeding down through the bottom of the chrome piece. I wish I had know about this before as I may have been able to prevent it. As another reader stated, it is very disappointing to see such a tiny flaw in what was supposed to be a rust resistant body. This was the main reason I purchased all my Saturn's in the first place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

You're lucky yours laasted nearly 7 years without rusting, my was blistering across the top of the handle in about 2.5 (or 2 winters).

Saturn was covering these for a while but found ways to get out of it (claimed mine had too many miles). Cost was about $350, shop used a thin membrane between the parts, so far so good.

Note I may also have the common GM bubbling on the inside lower liftgate seam (always was common on lower seams esp on doors) . Not a lot you can do there except keep it clean. I wipe the salt off when I can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
cam

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routs View Post
Yep, all too common. I have it on my 2006. I got a quote from a local GM dealership and they wanted $1,100 but gave me a "discount" to bring it down to $950. Plus, they wouldn't even warranty the work from future incidents. Needless to say I still have to shop around and get another quote.

The issue exists for a couple of reasons. The chrome metal on the shiny back piece (holds Saturn logo) has a chemical reaction to the metal of the lift gate. This is made worse by the fact that the chrome piece sits directly on the paint of the lift gate and eventually wears through to the bare metal. I believe this is even made worse by the fact that the rear windshield washer fluid slides right down into that area. A lot of people don't realize how caustic washer fluid can be to a vehicle's finish, especially exposed metal.

When the repair is completed, GM has a rubber gasket that goes between both parts to supposedly remove the chance of this happening. The best solution I've heard though is that once the repair is complete is to use a Vue Redline piece (painted to match the body colour) to replace the chrome piece.

Although I've heard this issue is related to the Vue, according to the GM dealership I was at, it's becoming more and more common with other GM vehicles that had the back chrome piece. A very poor design decision by GM at the end of the day. Much more frustrating though on a vehicle that was sold with the idea of "rust proof"...
I believe the chrome trim with the Saturn emblem over the license plate holder is actually plastic with chrome coating. So it must be the chrome coating that causes the chemical reaction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Old 03-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routs View Post
So I just got a quote as well. Shop said $250 if I prep the area myself and remove all the handles/emblems myself. $350-$400 if they do it for me.
I'll prep the area myself, well not really, brother in law is a pro in automotive body work and will do it for me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote