SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #21
carfreak09
carfreak09 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Re: Where Have All the First Gens Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by athensm50 View Post
ok...new here....but how to know if you have a Gen 1, 2 or 3?......I just bought a 98 LS2....does the 2 in the LS2 mean Gen 2????
If you mean SL2, no the 2 does not mean 2nd gen, it means you have the twin cam motor. The generations are broken down by year/updated styling. 1st gen is 90-95, 2nd gen is 96-99, 3rd gen is 2000-02. So based on your year, you have the 2nd gen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carfreak09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carfreak09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carfreak09 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #22
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post
Thank you to anyone who helps preserve these things. What will it be like in 40 years though...?
And by the way, anybody else getting these weird "Thai women seeking love" fake dating ads on here? Also, the fake "you have private messages" ads? Especially the fake Russian dating ads?
No. Why, at any point in time, are you not running Adblock in your browser?

'12 Subaru Impreza manual, hatchback, silver.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Used to have a '02 SL2 automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #23
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

Saturns were very popular here in Nova Scotia Canada because of our salty air and the massive amount of salt used on the roads in the winter. I have a 70km two way trip to work each day and see at least one GEN 1 car on the road each week. There are still all kinds of GEN2 and GEN3 cars still going. Our daily driver is a 2000 SL2 which we special ordered new in Dec 1999. This one is now at 353,000 km and is all original except for the valve body and water pump. Undercoating here is a must. Usually three wax jobs a year. I wish they still made the plastic panel cars, we may have to buy an aluminum F150 in 2015 as Ford recently announced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #24
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2QWK View Post
I am doing my part to keep many S-series on the road. I have saved and restored at least 20 Saturns from the junkyard in the past year. I mostly buy Saturns with blown engines or transmissions from Craigslist. We fix the cars almost to the level of a certified car on a dealer lot. Since I own a Saturn specialized repair shop in Tucson, I can put a lot of effort into bringing these Saturns back to life!
WOW! - You are kind of my hero! I have very little mechanical know how but I dream about having a shop like you describe. It must give you great satisfaction doing what you do. Keep it up!

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #25
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
... but I dream about having a shop like you describe. It must give you great satisfaction doing what you do. Keep it up!
You and me both Dummo. Maybe we could open one on the Mass/CT border.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 207,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #26
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

^^^^ Sounds like a good plan! We can find ones like this one that are just sitting and sitting and ask the owner if they'd like us to clean up their driveway for no charge.

OnIce.jpg

1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #27
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I saw a 1st gen the other day. It was even teal, talk about 90s retro.
Personally I think the S-series has only two generations 1991-1995 and 1996-2002.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #28
whoodiestyle
whoodiestyle is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Personally I think the S-series has only two generations 1991-1995 and 1996-2002.
Where at? Could of been me lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whoodiestyle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whoodiestyle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whoodiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #29
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Quote:
There are definitely 3 gens (in spite of what Wikipedia says) For 2000-2002, There was the addition of a BCM,,the movement of the PCM under the hood (a bad idea, IMHO) and some other mechanical changes that started in 1999, including the narrower heads and the addition of the secondary A.I.R. pump (just as some of the gen 2 changes started in 1995). That and the bodies were all restyled with new interiors. Granted,the style changes are more subtle than the gen 1-to-gen 2 changes, but they are distinctly different.

All S-series are based on the same basic mechanical platform, but there are 3 distinct generations. I think the assertion that there are only 2 generations is based on the overly simplistic distinction of OBD1 vs OBD2. But people who go trying to switch parts from a 1996 and a 2002 will find out to their dismay, that many dont fit, and any switch that relies on electronic compatibility between gen 2 and gen 3 will most likely fail.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

Last edited by cityhawk; 02-20-2014 at 09:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #30
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Addendum: of course, the fact that there was only one basic mechanical design for the S-series makes the three-generation division make sense.

If, for example, the ION was called the S-Series instead of the ION, then the history books would have referred to it as the second generation S-series, and what we now call 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation S-series would just be something like gen 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 or early, middle and late first generation.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #31
dummo
Master Member

1997 SW2

My third Saturn was a new 2004 Ion 3 and it was as much a Saturn as the first two. We'd be calling them 'Gen 4' if Saturn hadn't renamed the cars. I was not disturbed by the slight change in the look of the nose by adding a slight bit of grill above the bumper line but was then saddened when the Ion sedan's nose went full-pedestrian in 2005 by going to the larger grille and adding the strange chrome tear ducts instead of retooling the headlights.

1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #32
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
^^^^ Sounds like a good plan! We can find ones like this one that are just sitting and sitting and ask the owner if they'd like us to clean up their driveway for no charge.

Attachment 37114
I'll cover the Western US! I've always wanted to do this too. We could even donate some of the results to the museum when it is started.

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve": 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #33
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
My third Saturn was a new 2004 Ion 3 and it was as much a Saturn as the first two. We'd be calling them 'Gen 4' if Saturn hadn't renamed the cars. I was not disturbed by the slight change in the look of the nose by adding a slight bit of grill above the bumper line but was then saddened when the Ion sedan's nose went full-pedestrian in 2005 by going to the larger grille and adding the strange chrome tear ducts instead of retooling the headlights.
IONs don't leak or burn oil either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #34
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
There are definitely 3 gens (in spite of what Wikipedia says) For 2000-2002, There was the addition of a BCM,,the movement of the PCM under the hood (a bad idea, IMHO) and some other mechanical changes that started in 1999, including the narrower heads and the addition of the secondary A.I.R. pump (just as some of the gen 2 changes started in 1995). That and the bodies were all restyled with new interiors. Granted,the style changes are more subtle than the gen 1-to-gen 2 changes, but they are distinctly different.

All S-series are based on the same basic mechanical platform, but there are 3 distinct generations. I think the assertion that there are only 2 generations is based on the overly simplistic distinction of OBD1 vs OBD2. But people who go trying to switch parts from a 1996 and a 2002 will find out to their dismay, that many dont fit, and any switch that relies on electronic compatibility between gen 2 and gen 3 will most likely fail.
The body stayed pretty much the same between 1999-2000. Any other differences is too much "inside baseball".
To a non-car person there is no difference.
If people don't consider the 1974-81 Camaro a new generation (compared to 70-73) than the 2000 S-series is not a new generation either

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2014, 02:01 AM   #35
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Quote:
The body stayed pretty much the same between 1999-2000. Any other differences is too much "inside baseball".
Every panel on the body is different between Gen 2 and Gen 3 as are all the lights and lenses, though the change is more subtle than from Gen 1 to Gen 2 (although for coupes, the style changes from gen 2 to gen 3 are more significant)

Quote:
To a non-car person there is no difference.
True, but to a S-series Saturn fan, there is a difference that can be significant if one is trying to find compatible parts.

Quote:
If people don't consider the 1974-81 Camaro a new generation (compared to 70-73) than the 2000 S-series is not a new generation either
I realize it's all "inside baseball." As I mentioned with the ION example, all three S-series generations would all be lumped into "first generation" if there were a completely different S-series platform introduced, whereby the S-series as we know it would probably just have the early, middle and late first gen, or else people would be stuck with the cumbersome need to differentiate by year range, like "Say, does any one know where I can buy a right front fender for a late first gen SL2 (2000-2002)?"

But since there was only one S-series "generation", there are three distinct periods within that generation. Some parts are interchangeable across all three periods, but many are not and thus using the three "generation" designation makes it easy for people "on the inside" to understand each other when talking about cars and parts.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

Last edited by cityhawk; 02-22-2014 at 02:12 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #36
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Quote:
As an addendum, you can bet that if the only Camaros that were ever made were from 1970-1981 then people would differentiate these two eras as first and second generation. But since they are based on a common platform that's diffferent from those Camaros made before 1970 and after 1981, and have more in common with each other than they do with the other Camaro generations, they get lumped together.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #37
mars2878
mars2878 is on a distinguished road

i think the real question should be: Where have all the s-series gone?
i remember when i used to saturns all the time, but i barely saw any l-series or opel designs today.
I drove 200 miles between 2 states today.
I only saw 4 s-series in total driving around.
a 2nd gen coupe, 2 2nd gen sedans & a 3rd gen wagon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mars2878's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mars2878 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mars2878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #38
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars2878 View Post
i think the real question should be: Where have all the s-series gone?
i remember when i used to saturns all the time, but i barely saw any l-series or opel designs today.
I drove 200 miles between 2 states today.
I only saw 4 s-series in total driving around.
a 2nd gen coupe, 2 2nd gen sedans & a 3rd gen wagon.
A strategic campaign by GM's "Saturn Authorized Service Providers" to strong-arm Saturn owners into feeling their Saturns aren't worth repairing, leaving only the truly committed to keeping theirs on the road (I know I'm exaggerating, but that's at least partly true). Once Saturn retailers folded and SASP's took over their service, I noticed a dramatic drop in Saturns on the road, particularly S-series cars. My personal experience after trying a few different SASP's in the Boston area is consistent with this theory.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #39
mars2878
mars2878 is on a distinguished road

don't forget the stupid cash for clunkers program

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mars2878's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mars2878 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mars2878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #40
whoodiestyle
whoodiestyle is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars2878 View Post
don't forget the stupid cash for clunkers program
I thought that was only for vehicles with low mpg?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whoodiestyle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whoodiestyle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whoodiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote