SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If you saw a broken down car with a driver signaling for help, would you stop?
Definitely 6 20.69%
Not a chance 2 6.90%
Depends on the area/conditions 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default POLL:Would you help a broken down driver?

Please comment with why/why not if you're comfortable with doing so.
I've done so many times

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: POLL:Would you help a broken down driver?

Definitely... if I am by myself.

I am always armed so if that broken down driver had bad intentions in mind, well, they'd be in trouble. Anyway I'd hope someone would help me, why not help others too?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

I think this biker was seriously surprised last summer when I stopped. He had been pulled over having a smoke when I went by on the way to the store. Since he was still there when I was heading back about 15 minutes later I stopped to see if his bike had broken down. Turns out he was waiting for his buddies to catch up .
Another time this guy's horse trailer had blown a tire. He didn't have a spare and I didn't have one for his trailer but I borrowed my dads truck and got a barrel of water for his horses. Brought him and his kids some too lol.

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Do so all the time. I also stop and give rides to people walking on the side of the road but NOT hitch-hiking.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

If I'm by myself, stop all the time. If I have wife and kids in the car, never stop. Why put family at risk, and what am I going to do for someone with a full car anyway.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Do so all the time. I also stop and give rides to people walking on the side of the road but NOT hitch-hiking.
I am sure you are armed, and you can read people very well at a glance. IMO Texas is one of the safest places to live today.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Yep, I've done it several times, however I'd only do it by myself...

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
isotopeman
isotopeman is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Usually if I'm by myself. Not as often if my wife is with me; it depends on the situation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to isotopeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help isotopeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
isotopeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
LastSaturn
LastSaturn is on a distinguished road

Like the others, if I'm by myself. However I won't pull off a freeway to help unless there's a HUGE shoulder and traffic density is low. In town the road assist guys are usually out on Highway 1 anyway and can certainly do a better job than I can.

=======
2002 SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LastSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LastSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LastSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
lesplay2
lesplay2 is on a distinguished road

it depends on the situation sometimes yes,sometimes no,its hard to say until the time comes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lesplay2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lesplay2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lesplay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

I dont know, my area is a very bad crime zone, If it was a Saturn broken down maybe or maybe Id throw a quart of oil out the window to the driver and say there you go for another 500 miles LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

I almost think that we'd be obligated to stop if it was another S series

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
ProDriver77
ProDriver77 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

I usually stop to help as long as my kids aren't in the car with me AND I know it's a safe area to drive in. However, my experience in Public Safety has taught me a few tricks to increase safety.

1) When you pull up behind the vehicle, LEAVE AN OUT! I leave about a car-length of distance between me and the "disabled vehicle", park at a 15-degree angle to the vehicle, and turn on my Hazard Warning Lights along with high-beam headlights, pointing them at their side-view mirror. I also turn on my dome light. I make sure my cell phone is with me, along with a small aluminum-bodied LED flashlight - that way, if they try to do something stupid, they'll get blinded right before I use it as a club upside their head or shove it straight into their eye. Always turn the vehicle off, lock the doors, and take the keys with you. Put them in your pocket before exiting the vehicle to avoid the other person knowing what pocket your keys are in.

2) When approaching the vehicle, walk to the passenger's side of the vehicle and make the driver roll down the passenger's side window. This way, you're not within distance of immediately being grabbed if the "person in distress" is intent on harming you. Also, shine your flashlight into the vehicle to look for anyone crouched down attempting to stay out of your view.

3) DO NOT OFFER THE DRIVER A RIDE!!! I don't care if it's just up the street. Offer to call them a cab, or call a family member or friend to pick them up. Make the call for them - do not hand them your phone. Always keep YOUR means of communication with YOU!

4) Always know what's going on around you and maintain eye contact. You can't defend yourself from what you can't see.

5) If, at any time, you feel uneasy or fearful for your safety, it's time to leave. Advise the other driver you'll get help for them, get back in your car, and leave. Then call the local authorities to report the disabled vehicle and incident.

I think there need to be more Good Samaritans out there, but also understand that times have changed, which is why I offer the above advice when dealing with said situations.

SAFETY IN A NUTSHELL: Safety Gear, 2 minutes. Risk Assessment, 5 minutes. A mishap that takes a life: FOREVER!

DRIVE FOCUSED + DRIVE SMART = GET HOME SAFELY!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDriver77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDriver77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ProDriver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

No, mostly because I don't notice them until I'm long past

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote