SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
stoickiwi
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Headlight Switch Wiring Layout

So I'm wondering if anyone knows or has a diagram of the wires that are leading to the headlight/foglight switch on the Astra. I'm hoping that it has a 12v connection somewhere in all of those little wires that I may use to trigger the relay for my rear fog light install.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stoickiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Headlight Switch Wiring Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoickiwi View Post
So I'm wondering if anyone knows or has a diagram of the wires that are leading to the headlight/foglight switch on the Astra. I'm hoping that it has a 12v connection somewhere in all of those little wires that I may use to trigger the relay for my rear fog light install.
Try sending Romanster a PM, he's been tinkering with the light switch and rear fogs for a while

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoickiwi View Post
The headlight switch communicates with the various power distribution points through CAN-bus, so a "hot" signal at the switch may not necessarily work for you. Can you find a Grey w/ Blue wire at the back of the headlight switch and test it? This one should feed power to the rear fusebox, which then in turn sends a signal to the engine bay fuse box to feed a constant 12V signal to either bulb. My guess is that the Grey w/ Blue feed is only temporary, so you'll either need some sort of latching relay for your rear fogs, or just run power straight from the final bulb circuit all the way back.

Don't you just love modern automobile electronics?

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
stoickiwi

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
...Can you find a Grey w/ Blue wire at the back of the headlight switch and test it? This one should feed power to the rear fusebox, which then in turn sends a signal to the engine bay fuse box to feed a constant 12V signal to either bulb...Don't you just love modern automobile electronics?
I will grab the multimeter and check it out!
What I'm currently thinking of doing is to find a small low rated switch (1cm diameter, 2cm depth) and mount inside the switch box under the rear fog button. Connecting that switch to a 12v ignition source, then running a wire along the driver's side of the car and connecting it to a relay in the back fuse box area. I will then use that battery feed(?) at the fuse box to supply the power to the fog lights.
If I can find an appropriately small switch, everything should work.
I may just end up pulling the 12v from the fan controller if I can find one to do the job on the headlight switch assembly.
Pictured: the "battery feed" in the rear fuse box. Am I completely mistaken or is that what this is? I can't imagine wiring that thick being used for anything else. I tested it with the multimeter and it seemed okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temporary_zps90f87a03.jpg (121.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by stoickiwi; 08-02-2013 at 05:59 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
stoickiwi

2008 Astra XR

Just tinkered with it this weekend with my multimeter. It looks like the black wire in the headlight switch is 12v ignition. That makes this job a lot easier than taking the radio out and running a wire to the fan switch yet again. The rear fog lights are functional with a relay I set up in the back when I installed the amber signals. I just need to work in the button under the euro switches I got from Jarrow. I also plan on opening up the gauges and putting in an LED indicator to let me know when the are on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!