SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Bridgestone Duelers, are they THAT noisy?/wheel prep?

duelers stink.

Replaced with Cooper CS4's and not sure I love those either...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Just drove a Toyota Venza 4cyl with Duellers and they were fine... They had 5000 miles on them, drove all around Philly in wet and dry conditions...

The only thing that stunk was the 16.7 mpg in mixed city driving with the Toyota Venza.

The floor of the cargo area is hard plastic, the laptops were sliding all over the place...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #23
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

what's the venza weigh in at?

2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

3760 lbs It's a 2.7L inline 4, 181 hp,

36.2 ft cargo area seats up, 70.2 seats down

A lot of plastic inside. It had a wave like texture to it, instead of pebble texture. It was like a Camry, did everything well, but nothing exceptional.

The cellphone holder was nice, and the cup holders worked well even with large drinks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #25
tomster

2007 VUE 2.2L

Cupholders are important.

Can a 4x8 fit into that back hatch?

3760lbs with that motor I guess eats up some gas. What about on the highway? It might be pretty reasonable.

I think the VUE has almost that much cargo area but it's lighter.

2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tomster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #26
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Tires, even with no miles on them, have a shelf life of 6 years. Rubber weakens and crack at 6 years. Manufacturers even recommend replacing the spare tire in a car at 6 years...

I guess the Red Line will get a new set of shoes this year...

The Bridgestone Duelers I've driven on rentals were fine tires, but they were less than a year old.
Interesting, I found certain compounds hold up a bit better esp those with a A traction rating (or softer rubber. As my Camaro sits for the 3rd year after being grounded by my county emmissions, my tires (Eagle GA's) installed in '01 only have 13K on them & don't seem to have any checking. I have always kept this car garaged, & have been applying No Touch to the sidewalls over the years esp during the storage periods... I would have no intention of changing these if I would take this vehicle out of storage, but would kep an eye on them. Harder compounds have more of a tendency to check & crack.

I would think any tire with under 10K would be sufficent though, I do know what you mean as one of my Duelers has checking occuring, & these tires I think are from mid '08. I have had tires 15 years old that are fine my '62 Tempest spare looked like new @ 21 years old in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
3760 lbs It's a 2.7L inline 4, 181 hp,

36.2 ft cargo area seats up, 70.2 seats down

A lot of plastic inside. It had a wave like texture to it, instead of pebble texture. It was like a Camry, did everything well, but nothing exceptional.

The cellphone holder was nice, and the cup holders worked well even with large drinks.
I'm thinking this is really a Camry wagon rebadged... seems longer than a Vue, I would consider one used but I'm sure they will remain pricy.... Liked both the Camry's I had.

Cellphone holder... whatever for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #27
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Just be careful with tires older than 6 years...

I like well spaced cupholders that do not put the grip of death on a styrofoam cup. I enjoy a Sonic Route 44 Diet Cherry Dr Pepper at times.

The Chevrolet Cruze's cupholders grip a stryofoam cup so tightly it feels like the bottom would be ripped out trying to pull it out. Also McDonald's styrofoam cups are gripped just as tight.

Using the cellphone holder and Bluetooth while running TomTom, or Google maps was great. There even was a wider accessory slot on the side of the console that could hold a slim GPS with cable pass-throughs to the USB and 12v outlets.

I suspect Toyota is offering these optional locations for these devices because in states like California it is illegal to put a GPS on your windshield.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #28
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
Cupholders are important.

Can a 4x8 fit into that back hatch?
A 4x8 sheet would fit width wise, but it's not log enough. You need to tie down the hatch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
tomster

2007 VUE 2.2L

Well 8 foot is pretty long but at least you dont have to tie it to the roof.

2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #30
Bismarck318

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Cross Rotating these really quieted them down... shoulda posted sooner, but hard to dicern with chemical on the road then slipped my mind.

Probably coming to the end of their life I may get part of the summer on them.. the snoflakes have more than 50% corrosion on each of them.. this winter wasn't kind (is any winter?).

TY all again for your useful input!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #31
mike74
mike74 is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my duelers on my 2002, the tread was still great, but dry rot really starting to get bad,( In my opinion, this is crap, it is 2013 and tires with great tread still left on them cant be saved due to dry rot? LOL) It seems to me they COULD make a tire that lasts much much longer than they do.

Anyway, I got a real good deal on a set of primewell valera HTs, whole set, brand new for $220. and $30 to mount at my local tire shop...cant beat that! and I have noticed the noise level has gone down quite a bit since the duelers are off. I really dont need as aggressive tire as the dueler anyway, regular street tread is fine with me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #32
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike74 View Post
I really dont need as aggressive tire as the dueler anyway, regular street tread is fine with me.
Which Dueller did you have?

These are what I had on mine:

I'd hardly call that "aggressive". Seems like a pretty standard pavement tire to me. There are some other more aggressive Dueller tires, like:

If it weren't for the Duellers that came on mine and the bad impression they left me with, I'd probably consider another Bridgestone tire. But as such, I'm staying away.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #33
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Which Dueller did you have?

These are what I had on mine:

Did not know that there were different strains, I had either of these, I don't drive much my I have had tires for well over 10 years without ill dryrot effects, the Dulers are about 5 years old, I do see signs of sidewall checking now.

Perhaps ill effects from chemical?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #34
tomster

2007 VUE 2.2L

was that 4 tires for $220? that is indeed a bargain. I think I paid about 110 each for the ContiPro's I got from Walmart, and I thought they were a pretty good deal.

2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #35
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
If it weren't for the Duellers that came on mine and the bad impression they left me with, I'd probably consider another Bridgestone tire. But as such, I'm staying away.
My thoughts exactly. They were the worst tires I've ever owned by a fairly wide margin even when they were brand spankin' new.

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #36
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

This thread is what's wrong with both tire marketing and with lack of consumer knowledge.
Right now on TireRack.com there are 19 different tires called Dueler.
You have to read the rest of the alphanumerics to actually know/tell what tires you have.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #37
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

No, this is what happens to companies excreting substandard product and suffering a tarnished BRAND reputation as a result.

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #38
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
No, this is what happens to companies excreting substandard product and suffering a tarnished BRAND reputation as a result.
When you have products that vary greatly at varying price points not all can be top notch.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #39
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Yes, Duelers are noisy.

I've had 3 sets of tires on my Vue:

Duelers- 48K
Kuhmos- 43K
Yokohamas- 25K so far

Looking at the pics posted above my 16" Vue wheels look almost as bad. I'm debating whether to try resurrecting them myself, get a professional to refurbish them or just leave them the way they are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #40
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
When you have products that vary greatly at varying price points not all can be top notch.
If you truly think that, then you will always remain 2nd best (at best). This culture of settling for whatever people will tolerate is part of the problem.

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!