SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default I have not been here in a while

I know that some here may think I have fallen off the planet... I logged in this morning after having not been here since August 2012.

Wow- it has been a while.

I hope everyone is doing well, and to anyone I left hanging in August- I apologize if I never got back with you at all.

Everything is going well with me- but my life got kicked into high gear in July of last year after I left my AV job of almost 10 years as a subcontractor at GE and I have moved on into an AV job with a local Hospital. So I have been extremely busy working with doctors in a health care environment. I will say that this job has been much more rewarding then my previous job.

I still have my 94 SL2 and my 97SW2. Just replaced the radiator in my 97SW2 over the weekend, and it's still be a bit temperamental with me even though everything is in place, I am still seeing an inconsistent flashing coolant light which I am chalking up to the sensor needing to be cleaned. Both cars are still running, but reality is starting to set in that I am going to need to upgrade to a newer set of vehicles either later this year or early next year.....either Chevy, Nissan (maybe?), Toyota (maybe?)....

Just starting to brainstorm right now but I really need to sock away $3-$5K and get something that is a bit newer.....

I may be leaving the Saturn family, but my love for these cars will never go away.

Any thoughts, and input that you can provide will be much appreciated.

I just have been so busy with life- I just have not been on the car forums as often, but the wife and kid are doing well.

Hello to everyone and who is stilll here from August of last year?

Richpin? AdventureofLink? FDryer? Wolfman?

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: I have not been here in a while

Are the coolant containers interchangeable if keeping one car over the other? If not and coolant level remains steady, will disconnecting the sensor turn off the light? I tend to glance at my coolant container when checking oil level whether or not the low level indicator is on or off. "Trust but verify".

Family is always the #1 priority, job 2nd. Social contacts 3rd.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Hey what's up buddy?

As you know (or maybe not have known? ) I got me a grand marquis and for the most part it's treated me well.

Bit of advice, unless your kids aren't going through growth spurts and/or are still small enough (height/weight wise) to be in some kind of safety seat (booster most likely? car seat maybe), PASS on the Cruze and smaller from G.M. as a whole. On the left and not on the right of course. For that much interior room you'd have more fun in the Camaro... And as you know Toyota doesn't like to give people sticks, so if that's in your cards PASS there too. Nissan is mostly going to CVT IIRC, that one could go either way. If ya desire a stick, you _might_ wanna consider Nissan but I wouldn't hold my breath.

IIRC isn't the coolant light tied to some other circuit? And can't you swap reserviors regardless of model year/setup S-series? also I thought jumpering the coolant electrical connector will turn off the light.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

Don't you collect vin numbers from Home Coming Saturns?

I daily drive one now!

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Bryan,

Great to see that you like of time on the forums is for good reasons! I have wondered a few times where you went, especially with your job moves and stuff going on. I'm glad you found a place that is more rewarding to work at.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Not spending much time here either. Good to know things are going your way, 2ndsout.

As to your car choices, I wouldn't recommend anything, as IMHO there is nothing out there I am really interested in, so my opinion would be useless.

What I would like and you would find acceptable are two different things, like the new Dodge Dart, the Avenger, Chrysler 200 and the Sonic. Everyone hates on Chrysler, so those are contrarian picks [and personal: I've had a 63 Valiant for many many years] and the Sonic is probably too small for you and too rooted in South Korea

Maybe after Carmageddon I lost the plot, but just can't get enthusiastic about the new stuff. It's all so complicated, over featured, fussily styled and overpriced. Trying to find something with the qualities I admired in the S Series [and even the ION] is impossible these days.

Make a list of your priorities and start from there. It does help to like the looks of something you're spending major $$$ on, though.

Best always,
Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Geez, 2NDSOUT, the thought of you without an S-series is kind of a sad thought! Maybe the world is coming to an end.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 207,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
Geez, 2NDSOUT, the thought of you without an S-series is kind of a sad thought! Maybe the world is coming to an end.
Just like with the Evo 3D community, we all have to move on at some point..

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
ProDriver77
ProDriver77 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

To be honest, I've been having the same question for some time. Even though our '04 Vue just turned 100,000 miles recently and won't be traded for at least a few more years, the '99 Subaru Forester S I picked up a week and a half ago for a 2nd car has me truly considering the brand as a replacement for Saturn.

The Subaru's driving dynamics, reputation for longevity, safety, and especially their AWESOME (confirmed Monday night in the snow) All Wheel Drive system has me enjoying my Forester as much as I enjoy driving my Vue (albeit for different reasons).

The second best part of becoming a new Subaru owner: After purchasing the Forester and having NO IDEA what the switch on top of the steering wheel collar did (to operate parking lamps with ignition off - by default headlamps/tail lamps only work with key in ON position) I stopped by Cumberland Valley Subaru in Mechanicsburg, PA to ask a salesperson.

The level of courtesy, professionalism, and just an open, friendly environment reminded me so much of the old Saturn Of Harrisburg. Even after I had my question answered, and even though I didn't purchase the vehicle from them, they personally welcomed me to the Subaru family and welcomed me back anytime I had a question or concern about my 14-year-old, 203,000 mile "beater".

That said, it will still be very hard when the day ever comes to say goodbye to my Vue.

SAFETY IN A NUTSHELL: Safety Gear, 2 minutes. Risk Assessment, 5 minutes. A mishap that takes a life: FOREVER!

DRIVE FOCUSED + DRIVE SMART = GET HOME SAFELY!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDriver77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDriver77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ProDriver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #10
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
I will get rid of my Saturn S-series when they pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 207,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Cityhawk- Yes, I know...the thought of me without an S-Series is kind of an abysmal thought. But we do have to move on at some point.

I was wondering since you have listed that you have an L-Series; what are your thoughts on your ownership of an L?

Even though as much as I have read about the L-Series being a bomb in some respects (albeit not as bad as the Relay); would it be a decent move to go to an L Series or would I be shooting myself in the foot and be better off going to another brand?

We got our tax return a few weeks back, so I have a start for a fund to buy a newer vehicle at the end of the year. Don't want to rush anything whatsoever.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
I was wondering since you have listed that you have an L-Series; what are your thoughts on your ownership of an L?
Even though as much as I have read about the L-Series being a bomb in some respects (albeit not as bad as the Relay); would it be a decent move to go to an L Series or would I be shooting myself in the foot and be better off going to another brand?
We got our tax return a few weeks back, so I have a start for a fund to buy a newer vehicle at the end of the year. Don't want to rush anything whatsoever.
Go for an ION, I had an L200 for 6 months before I got my ION. The ION rides and handles better.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

2NDSOUT - welcome back!

It's good to hear that you are doing well, your new employment opportunity has proved rewarding and that you are keeping busy.

Personally, in the small car segment where the SL/SC/SW used to play, I'd recommend a Honda Civic EX or the 4-door Mazda3i Touring.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

Last edited by GR898SL2; 04-26-2013 at 10:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
I'm not looking forward to the day I won't have a saturn in my driveway!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote