SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Dave The Barbar
Dave The Barbar is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2000 SL2
Default 2001 SL2 Auto Trans Dead - Gotta Go

Hi All

Sad to say only DAYS before I was going to give my 2001 SL2 to my daughter for college I lost 2nd and reverse. Tie that to pretty bad oil consumption -1 qt every 300 miles or so. I simply can't afford to get her fixed. I looked into a rebuilt engine & trans and it was a lot of money. I am no mechanic and can't do it myself.

I had hoped to get an engine put in it this summer and she'd end up with a car she LOVES that I thought would be reliable. Can't fix it and can't replace it.

I am hoping someone here will give her a new home - guess I should put it in the for sale section. I really HATE to tow her to the scrap yard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dave The Barbar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dave The Barbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dave The Barbar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 2001 SL2 Auto Trans Dead - Gotta Go

you should say where you are located, might help if you could get ideas/offers from local members.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Dave The Barbar

2001 SC2
2000 SL2

I am in New Tripoli Pa - north west of Allentown Pa

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dave The Barbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member
aaron95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

The transmission is not toast. It just most likely needs a new nut put on the output shaft. Rebuild the engine with aftermarket pistons and rings and it'll be better than new, won't use any oil, and it'll be good for over 200,000 miles.

1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaron95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaron95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaron95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
chanty
chanty has a spectacular aura aboutchanty has a spectacular aura about

I have a new transmission for $1600. I agree, it's like new, driving is so smooth including reverse. I just have to change the water-pump Asap. My SL2 has 108,000 miles on it. Hopefully, it will last 5 more years that is enough time for me to get a replacement car. I only drive it to work and on local roads.

Saturn SL2 2000 owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chanty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chanty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
FredM
FredM is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

If this is the Dave I know, I think he already got 200K miles out of it.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be... -- William Shakespeare

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FredM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FredM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Dave The Barbar

2001 SC2
2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredM View Post
If this is the Dave I know, I think he already got 200K miles out of it.
Didn't quite hit 200,000, but have 220,000 on the SL2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Dave The Barbar

2001 SC2
2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron95sl2 View Post
The transmission is not toast. It just most likely needs a new nut put on the output shaft. Rebuild the engine with aftermarket pistons and rings and it'll be better than new, won't use any oil, and it'll be good for over 200,000 miles.
I am in New Tripoli PA - don't have a shop or tool to do it - anyone know of someplace close to me that can?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member
Razzle Dazzle is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

There's always a shop that can do a trans, but most likely it's not actually dead. Something on it is dead, go with the above post. Probably that nut or some electronic.

'12 Chevrolet Cruze, 1.4T M/T 101k
Miss my White 95 SC2, said goodbye at 213k, 7 years of ownership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razzle Dazzle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razzle Dazzle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razzle Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

My '97 SW2 had slams/clunks into 3rd,4th & tc lockup (more of a screech then a clunk with the TC), as well as no torque in reverse. Not slamming into reverse, it'd go just as smoothly as any other properly working car but to get it to move took ~3500rpm and if I held it too long I could smell the fluid cooking.

While waiting on getting a nicer cradle for it I tore apart the transmission a bit, not a thing wrong with either nut. I didn't try as hard as I could have to torque 'em but there were no signs on the cover nor did they feel the least bit loose. Funny thing is, the car has 114k miles on it but the MP7 was swapped in 2003 at 23k miles so they killed the transmission in less then 95k miles.

Meh, soon as I get a cradle for it I'll finish putting in the MP2...which has over 180k miles on it so far

Just saying it may not be the input or output shaft nuts, it's probably in the valve body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Barbar View Post
anyone know of someplace close to me that can?
Any shop near you has the mechanical ability to do it, but likely not the knowledge needed.

I would search out a few threads pertaining to the output shaft nut, replacing the valve body, checking the solenoid functions, etc. Print them out (or at least the relevant parts of the threads) and take them with you to the shop; explaining the order that you want things done/checked (cheapest to most expensive ).

A couple of notes: I remember a reference that said a thin-walled 23mm socket is needed' Plastic Cars Rock started a How To thread on one of the subjects, and posts by Special Forces would be helpful with regards to testing the solenoids and troubleshooting and replacing the valve body

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Barbar View Post
Hi All

Sad to say only DAYS before I was going to give my 2001 SL2 to my daughter for college I lost 2nd and reverse. Tie that to pretty bad oil consumption -1 qt every 300 miles or so. I simply can't afford to get her fixed. I looked into a rebuilt engine & trans and it was a lot of money. I am no mechanic and can't do it myself.

I had hoped to get an engine put in it this summer and she'd end up with a car she LOVES that I thought would be reliable. Can't fix it and can't replace it.

I am hoping someone here will give her a new home - guess I should put it in the for sale section. I really HATE to tow her to the scrap yard.
I'm in Harrisburg, and would possibly be interested if you're getting rid of it, what were you looking to get for her?

I'll PM you as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote