SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default A/C compressor seals

Are the seals on the A/C compressor general automotive A/C rings or are they they specialized flat washer seals?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C compressor seals

The O-rings are HNBR while the flat seals are ..........?

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I guess I'll just go down to the dealership and buy the seals to be sure. For the dryer I'll take the chance that they are generic green a/c seals.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The O-rings are HNBR while the flat seals are ..........?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Just got them from the dealership. They are solid rubber (no metal ring), flat but with a ridge around the ring. Very unusual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

RobertGary1, fdryer or anyone else: I don't know a lot about engines, so any help is appreciated.

I noticed some light colored oil on my driveway, then the a/c started blowing warm air only. Apparently, the seal or seals, have failed? My local mechanic says it is leaking from a seal and that there is an O-ring and a piston of some kind involved as well. I am getting more details when I pick up the car. He says that I need a new compressor and other parts that total $1000. He claims he can't get just the seals and O-ring. This seems very high.

Did you get the seals at a Chevy dealer? There is a dealer near me with a large parts department.

My vehicle: 2007 Vue, 2.2 four-cylinder, 29,000 miles. Thank you, and anyone else for your help.

Ed

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

Last edited by M7Mayberry; 08-09-2012 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: add addressee

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
coachb
coachb is on a distinguished road

Mayberry,
RobertGary and fDryer have been helping me with my 2007 Vue with 2.2 L engine so I'll try to pay it forward.
The oil should be greenish from dye added to the AC system at the factory. If you have a black light (UV) you can confirm and also try to locate the leak source. In my case, I had oil/dye/freon coming out of a crack in the aluminum pipe just prior to where it attaches to the compressor. Oil was on everything nearby.
I first suspected a compressor problem because we only had hot air and freon addition didn't seem to help. Turns out it was leaking out as fast as I put it in. All this to point out that, as RG ans fDryer will tell you, the compressor gets blamed/changed too often.

The aluminum pipe failed on the inside of a bend and I suspect this was due to a manufacturing issue. You might want to explore a simple hose leak before replacing/rebuilding the compressor.

My humble $.02

P.S. If you start a new thread (instead of hijacking someone elses) you will get more views and answers most likely!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coachb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coachb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coachb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
M7Mayberry

2007 VUE 2.2L

coachB, Thank you for the comment. I will mention the hose/pipe issue with my mechanic.

2007 Vue 5-speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7Mayberry View Post
Apparently, the seal or seals, have failed? My local mechanic says it is leaking from a seal and that there is an O-ring and a piston of some kind involved as well. I am getting more details when I pick up the car. He says that I need a new compressor and other parts that total $1000. He claims he can't get just the seals and O-ring. This seems very high.

Did you get the seals at a Chevy dealer? There is a dealer near me with a large parts department.
Ed

It depends on the seal. There is a seal at the front of the compressor. While there may be some ambitious people who have changed it; I'm not aware of any mechanics who attempt this. The typical solution is to replace the compressor if the front seal is bad. If its just the side seals as it mates with the hoses; yes, those are readily available from the dealer. They are a bit expensive ($20-$30). Unfortunately, the front seal leaking is not an uncommon mode of compressor failure. There are some different pricing options for replacing a compressor if your mechanic is willing to work with you. Most want to source the part themselves though and that is very expensive.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
M7Mayberry

2007 VUE 2.2L

RobertGary1: Thank you for the reply. The leak is from the back plate, near a piston? Mechanic wants to replace the compressor and receiver dryer. He says that Saturn used different sources for their parts and not all are the same. At least I know what I am dealing with, now. I have nothing to lose, to try and repair it, before replacing. Thank you for your help.

I got used to a one-ton Chevy pickup, where nothing mechanical went wrong in 225,000 miles. The only problem with it was that gasoline went from $1.50 to $4 a gallon!

2007 Vue 5-speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!