SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Dave The Barbar
Dave The Barbar is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2000 SL2
Default It's Decision Time

I just lost reverse on my 2001 SC2 auto - rebuilt trans 2 years ago and the warranty is expired. I had reverse slam for a couple of weeks and had a shop appointment for next Thursday.. I am using a quart of oil every 200 miles. Until the trans went, I was thinking about a rebuilt engine and giving the car to my daughter as a graduation gift. Her first car - for college... a three hour drive from home.

But since I don't have a shop, I don't do much of my own work and I don't have money to spend. So do I fix it or replace it - oh, my wife's 2000 SL2 has 210,000 miles and the same oil problem.

A question I have is about a rebuilt engine. Is there a fix for the oil ring issue that causes the oil consumption or will it happen again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dave The Barbar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dave The Barbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dave The Barbar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Re: It's Decision Time

Drilling return holes in the piston's oil ring groove should solve the sticky rings issue. Before replacing or rebuilding an engine you can attempt the MMO piston soak, which may or may not help.

You shouldn't need to replace the whole trans if all you have is reverse slam. Replacing the valve body with a rebuilt one with the Sonnax update should solve the problem once and for all. You can find these on ebay, also SF member "Special Forces" provides rebuilt valve bodies. Reverse slam that has been let go for too long can damage the friction material in the trans however, which would require a rebuild or replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Dave The Barbar
Dave The Barbar is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssewall View Post
Drilling return holes in the piston's oil ring groove should solve the sticky rings issue. Before replacing or rebuilding an engine you can attempt the MMO piston soak, which may or may not help.

You shouldn't need to replace the whole trans if all you have is reverse slam. Replacing the valve body with a rebuilt one with the Sonnax update should solve the problem once and for all. You can find these on ebay, also SF member "Special Forces" provides rebuilt valve bodies. Reverse slam that has been let go for too long can damage the friction material in the trans however, which would require a rebuild or replacement.
Yeah, I hoped I had caught the slam early- I noticed it a few weeks ago, but reverse is completely gone.

I don't have the tools to do the engine myself and my garage(an old carriage house) has a dirt floor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dave The Barbar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dave The Barbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dave The Barbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

If you don't mind driving stick, a manual swap is a pretty solid fix for the reverse slam issue, though I wouldn't even bother trying to ask a shop to do it. It's very easy, I wonder if there might be an experienced member on this forum that could help you out with some hands-on work at a reasonable fee.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Barbar View Post
I noticed it a few weeks ago, but reverse is completely gone.
I don't have an auto trans, so I don't really pay much attention to what I see here about fixing auto transmissions - but I recall seeing references to losing reverse beging fixed by retorquing an input (?) shaft nut. Might be worth searching on - and asking a friend/relative if you can borrow their garage (with concrete floor ) for a weekend

IIRC, you need a thin-walled 23mm socket? Search will get some definite answers

edit: found a How To
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?t=112858#

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote