SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default MPG Secrets

It all adds up, especially these days. One thing I do is cycle the AC, mainly just turn it on when coasting downhill or to the next red light, then turn it back off. What's one of your strategies to increase FE?

1999 SL2 A4 -87k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: MPG Secrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
It all adds up, especially these days. One thing I do is cycle the AC, mainly just turn it on when coasting downhill or to the next red light, then turn it back off. What's one of your strategies to increase FE?
Your AC does that automatically.
I don't use drive-throughs.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

See a red light, and slow down by at least half, and keep slowing down as needed. Once I see the light go green again I go back to the speed limit (unless there's another red light a block or two down, then I speed up again slightly).

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
See a red light, and slow down by at least half, and keep slowing down as needed. Once I see the light go green again I go back to the speed limit (unless there's another red light a block or two down, then I speed up again slightly).
How far away from the light are you when you do this? In some traffic if you do this you'll get 3 cars jumping in front of you, filling the space and effectively ruining your plan.

Personally, I can't handle driving "careful", it drives me crazy. It's the reason why I also can't handle driving an automatic. I guess more power to those who can handle it

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
10Miler
Advanced Member
10Miler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
How far away from the light are you when you do this? In some traffic if you do this you'll get 3 cars jumping in front of you, filling the space and effectively ruining your plan.
I do the same thing all the time. And people zoom around me all the time racing up to the light only to slam on brakes. It's still an effective strategy to consume less fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10Miler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10Miler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Miler View Post
I do the same thing all the time. And people zoom around me all the time racing up to the light only to slam on brakes. It's still an effective strategy to consume less fuel.
Yes, I've gotten that from time to time as well... I mean HELLO, it's not like you're going to get to that red light any faster... (exceptions are for right and left turns, since you usually get a right on red, and left turns are triggered either by the weight of your vehicle and/or your left turn signal...)

And to David, it depends on how far I am and how long the red light lasts, really. I'd either have to make several YouTube videos and cram em together based on distances and situations, or you'd actually have to see my driving first hand.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
10Miler
Advanced Member

There are many more possibilities to save fuel with a 5 speed. And some of them are legal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 10Miler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

No secrets here, I'm getting great fuel economy by just driving normal in a well-tuned and maintained SC2 with a turbocharger. Turbo motor is tuned for economical performance, not just shear horsepower, and I keep an eye on the boost gauge. You can have fun and get great MPG when done properly. Before the turbo setup I was just keeping an eye on a vacuum gauge and could easily get 40mpg in highway cruise mode.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2BuzzBomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2BuzzBomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Accelerate at 70% engine load, coast as much as possible. Use hills to your advantage. Slow down towards the crest to avoid braking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
10Miler
Advanced Member

Reduce excess weight in the car, including unnecessary items in trunk. And this one usually causes much "discussion" but inflating tires to max sidewall pressure reduces rolling friction and therefore requires less fuel to keep the car moving. In any case, keeping the tires from being UNDER inflated will certainly help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Wouldnt inflating to max sidewall pressure mess with the car's handling characteristics?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sideup66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sideup66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
10Miler
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup66 View Post
Wouldnt inflating to max sidewall pressure mess with the car's handling characteristics?
Yes, of course.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Miler View Post
Yes, of course.
as well as make it ride rougher, etc... the door placard shows the best pressures to compensate for both fuel economy and ride quality.

Still, there's a reason why there's a ~4 PSI difference between rear and front...

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
10Miler
Advanced Member

Quote:
as well as make it ride rougher, etc... the door placard shows the best pressures to compensate for both fuel economy and ride quality.

Still, there's a reason why there's a ~4 PSI difference between rear and front...
True, still a good idea to keep the tires inflated to the recommended pressure on the door sticker. I've inflated to the max sidewall and not had any problems, but it's not something I can recommend. Least that's what my lawyer said to say.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
youngt
youngt is on a distinguished road

Quote:

not to mention it will wear the center of the tread faster

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youngt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youngt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youngt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
Actually today's modern AC's put very little load on the engine. If you are driving over 40 mph, rolling up the windows and using the AC saves gas by eliminating the aerodynamic drag from having the windows down.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
10Miler
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngt View Post
not to mention it will wear the center of the tread faster
I've noticed that at the "normal" tire pressure that the outside of the tread wears faster. But then again I've not always been a stickler for staying up on my TP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I keep it under 3000 rpms as often as possible. With how much driving I do, I know exactly at what rpms my auto will shift and I try to keep it in the lower end of 4th gear as much as I can. I also keep my tires inflated (I keep 40 PSI in all four) and try to stay on the top half of the fuel tank.

One thing I have always found interesting is that I always get better fuel mileage in the mountains. I always thought it would kill it to be going up and down hills, but consistently, my highest MPGs have been in mountains. The mountains of western VA netted me my record so far: 37.8 MPG.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

The AC knocks 2-3 mpg off my in-town. It seems to affect coasting mileage more than anything, down from 40-50 to 30-40.

A good thing to remember is your AC is on when the heater is set to front defrost whether you like it or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

^ Not in all S-series. It does not activate in the older ones. I'm not sure what the year cutoff is, but neither my 93 nor my 99 kick on the A/C without the button being pressed.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote