SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #41
reyesking1
reyesking1 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What would cause car to sound very loud inside cabin? (not the exhaust)

yes that is the mount. I will check whether it was first or second design when I get home. But either way, this mount is the one that needs to be replaced as it was cracked. Yes the shaking has to be due to this.

As far as the Thermostat. The gauge gradually but surely increases to around 1/2 way. Just when it is about to get to the 3/4 mark, the fan kicks in and the gauge is decreased back to around 1/2.

I did look at the connector when I installed the ECTS and it looked fine. I didn't clean it with compressed air or shoot any of that electrical connection cleaner but it looked decent. No wires were burnt, and it wasn't corroded in anyway.

The coolant level in the reservoir tank is full. Can I see the floater with the lid off? I will check this out to see if it is stuck.

Another thing that I was thinking about, is how do I know that the coolant is going from the reservoir to the radiator. I saw a RICHPIN video on Youtube that showed how to do a check with the top radiator hose. That hose should get hot when the car is warming up to show that the radiator is doing its job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to reyesking1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help reyesking1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
reyesking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #42
reyesking1

Default Re: What would cause car to sound very loud inside cabin? (not the exhaust)

81 dollars for a complete set of bolts and the top engine mount at the dealer....

$34 for the mount at kragen and autozone with 1 year waranties.

DonP and Wolfman both say that the aftermarket mount is not good and has been shown defective and such. I hope this alleviates the vibrating because the vibrations are driving me nuts. I think it will be worth it once it is done and the shaking stops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help reyesking1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #43
reyesking1

I followed up with Autozone. They offer a lifetime warranty. The Duralast company has apparently fixed the OEM problem had by others, according to their description "Duralast products meet or exceed OE specifications and features".

The Autozone employee assured me that I could return the piece for a refund if it did not fit exactly as my old one. It only comes with 3 nuts though. I think the piece is supposed to have 5 15 mm bolts, so I am going to try this out. Worst case scenerio...I waste time by trying the Autozone piece and then I still have to buy the Dealer piece.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #44
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
They offer a lifetime warranty. The Duralast company has apparently fixed the OEM problem had by others, according to their description "Duralast products meet or exceed OE specifications and features".
Advertising. Keep in mind that the second design (frown) met the OE specification while it was OE equipment - but it was a bad design and thus abandon by Saturn in favor of a return to the first design.

The image on the AZ web site sure looks like the generally unhappy second (frown) design that is prone to failure. A lifetime warranty is nice, but you still have to invest the effort and time to replace it and make the trip to the parts store to get the "free" replacement, if you remember the warranty and have kept any necessary proof of purchase. And you hope any mount failure is not at an inconvenient time or place, or take something with it such as the mounting studs in timing chain cover . Open the box before you buy to be sure you get what you want. If yo intend to get rid of the car within a year or two, the frown mount may meet your needs, In the end, you pays your money and takes your chances.

As I recall, you cannot routinely see the float in the reservoir while in the car.

You should see some slight flow through the reservoir when the engine is running. It is part of the pressurized system. (And not like the coolant recovery tanks on many other cars that only deal with overflow from the pressure cap.)

The upper radiator hose at the radiator inlet should warm up quickly once the t-stat opens. If it warms up gradually as the engine warms the t-stat maybe stuck open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #45
dgreen97
dgreen97 is on a distinguished road

so i was checking to see if i could find out where the vibration was coming from again and i put my ear to the dashboard and revved the motor. you can feel and hear the vibrations traveling through the dash and a faint metal vibration as if something is contacting the body. does anybody have any pictures or know where the engine could contact the firewall, frame, etc. The obvious places to check are the motor mount connections but I thought there may be more than that. It's very difficult to see what is going through the firewall and such and I haven't been able to find a good diagram of the entire engine compartment (if one even exists). I definitely think the engine or something connected to the engine is contacting the firewall or the body somewhere but I can't think of where else to check.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dgreen97's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dgreen97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dgreen97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #46
autopat
autopat is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

This is classic mount failure. With the engine running, and the hood open, sit in the car, hold the brakes, put the car in drive and give a little gas, note the engine movement when engaging drive, let off the gas, put the car in reverse and give a little gas, note the engine movement. I'll bet ya a dollar everytime you change from drive to reverse the engine jumps a few inches, and the pitch, and vibration, changes inside the car. I have done mounts on every Saturn I've owned for this reason (twice in one year, when I used Autozone mounts), I've since switched to NAPA, or factory mounts, and had no more problems. The vibration in the dash is a dead giveaway, and if you have an auto, don't forget to change the dogbone on the trans. I quit messing around with changing them one at a time, when I get an S-series I automatically change all the mounts, it's just a headache solver.

2010 Camaro SS
2002 SL2
2000 Suburban
1998 SL1
1996 SW2
1992 Monterey Cobra
1990 Suburban
1973 Nova SS
1966 Suburban
1965 Chevy S/W/BW

So many projects....so little time!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to autopat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help autopat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
autopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #47
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2

I have the same problem, noise, with my 1999 SC2. My mechanic told me the resonator has small hole. Probably from being pulled out of a snow drift when the resonator came in contact with the curb. That was 2 years ago. My mechanic said, then, that Saturn's replacement part price was $400 and suggested I not replace it until the noise became unbearable. Well, that time has arrived. I just returned from a trip, NE Ohio to South Central Georgia. The noise was very loud at Interstate driving speed. Even at city driving speed, 35 mph, the noise is very aggravating and the rattling of the center console and dash is unnerving.

I had my oil and filter replaced a couple days ago and asked if I could take a peek at my exhaust system down in the pit. I first checked the resonator, located beneath the front passenger seat but couldn't locate the hole that my mechanic told me about. I checked the length of the exhaust from the rear of the resonator to the exhaust manifold and saw no holes in the resonator, exhaust pipe, connectors around the catalytic converter, or the header. I thought the entire exhaust system was stainless steel? Everything forward from the resonator is rusted.

Maybe with the high mileage on my SC2 its time to replace the cc. Its original equipment. Now that I know what to check regarding the engine mounts, thanks to richpin06 videos, I will check them today. It was too cold and windy yesterday and the sun is shining bright today. Maybe the temp will get up to the mid 40's.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #48
l0phat
l0phat is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Maybe an automotive stethoscope would be helpful. Harbor frieght tools has one for 2.99. It's like a doctors stethoscope but instead of a cup to listen to your heart it has a long metal probe. I would think that you could place the probe inside the cabin at various points and find where the sound is louder. Or perhaps if the carpet muffles the sound to much you could place it at various points on the body/under body/engine compartment to help localize the offending vibration.

99 SL2 151K 5 Spd Stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to l0phat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help l0phat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
l0phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #49
dgreen97

thanks for your responses guys. the only reason i don't think its the motor mount is because i just replaced it a year or so ago with a factory oem one. i did the pen test on it and it still checks out. the other reason i don't think its the mount is because when i changed from the aftermarket anchor to the factory one there was no change in sound at all. the car still vibrated exactly the same and was just as loud. so in essence i wasted 80 bucks on a new mount when the old one probably wasn't even bad. i'm thinking about buying a stethoscope to try but i was using a long metal rod as a conductor for the vibration and i put my ear up to it to hear nuances. do you still think it could be the motor mount?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dgreen97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #50
dgreen97

the other thing i forgot to mention is that i never did change the dogbones on this thing. i'm not sure what indicates a failure on them. i also thought since they aren't supporting engine weight they couldn't really transfer vibration like a top mount would. how can i tell if the dogbones are bad (particularly the one next to the crankshaft)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #51
l0phat
l0phat is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

According to the richpin video on doing a top mount replacement you should have settled the engine by loosening the lower bolt on the dog bone. To check the dog bone remove the passenger wheel and splash gaurd. At that point you can see exatly what shape the dog bone is in. Look for cracks in the rubber mount or what I call pillowing ( blown out ). Have you also checked the trans axel mount fluid gets around back there and could degrade the mount. I'd still go for the stetho, and put the front of the car on ramps if you can.

99 SL2 151K 5 Spd Stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to l0phat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help l0phat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
l0phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #52
dgreen97

about to check the dogbone and remove the preload. i'm also going to listen to the clutch and see if i can hear anything wrong with it. i'll post when done

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #53
dgreen97

ok just got done removing the preload by loosening the two bolts bracket that holds the dogbone to the engine on the crankshaft side. no change in the sound or vibration inside the car. i also listened to the clutch and it's very hard to tell if there is a mechanical problem inside. it sounds like there is a mechanical rattle but i'm not qualified to discern if thats an issue or not. at this point i have to say its either the flywheel or the clutch bearing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #54
reyesking1

All right Saturnians! The vibration was completely eliminated! Sorry for the delay in the response. Better late than never. I was actually waiting to see if the problem stayed fixed and it has. I went with the Duralast OEM mount from Autozone with a lifetime warranty for 34 bucks. It came with 3 bolts that were actually longer than the previous ones so I used the old bolts and followed Wolfman's instructions. It was pretty easy to do. Took off 5 15MM nuts and the piece came right off. The key was keeping the engine jacked up about an inch and the bolts went right back in. See the pics of the new mount.
The ride is much more peaceful now.

My other problem was the coolant temp light that's blinking. I removed the reservoir tank for the Engine Coolant liquid, filled it with dishwasher soap, shook it a bit to try to get the float sensor unstuck, rinsed it and then put it back on. This did not eliminate my blinking light. The reservoir was super filthy but was cleaned and the light still blinks.

In addition I added the R134A to the A/C and the thing was blowing cold air the first day, but by the third day, it was struggling to give me the cold air. Now it just shoots air. Now I know it has a leak in one of the A/C hoses. Not sure if this would cause a blinking light?

I tested the mileage and I estimate the mileage to be around 29/30 mpgs. I feel that I can get more from this car. My tires were a bit low I later noticed during that test. I am going to put air in the two front tires and fill the tank back up to try to get more MPGs. These are city and freeway combo miles by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 112609145022.jpeg (118.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpeg 112609145100.jpeg (130.0 KB, 23 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 AM   #55
reyesking1

In addition...check this out...See the pic...This is a picture of the A/C compressor right? But the focus of the picture is the cable plugged into it. It is obviously the device that communicates with that part of the vehicle and tells it to stop or start. But is it missing a second cable or does it only take one input. Their is a green cable going into the left but no cable is connecting to the right. My guess is that it needs to have second cable as the negative connection. Otherwise why would there be a second hole. The cable seems to have been tampered with by the previous owner.

If this cable is missing the right side, is it possible that this could be the reason for my faulty A/C? Or maybe the reason for the blinking Coolant light?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 112609144955.jpeg (116.5 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #56
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyesking1 View Post
In addition...check this out...See the pic...This is a picture of the A/C compressor right? But the focus of the picture is the cable plugged into it. It is obviously the device that communicates with that part of the vehicle and tells it to stop or start. But is it missing a second cable or does it only take one input. Their is a green cable going into the left but no cable is connecting to the right. My guess is that it needs to have second cable as the negative connection. Otherwise why would there be a second hole. The cable seems to have been tampered with by the previous owner.

If this cable is missing the right side, is it possible that this could be the reason for my faulty A/C? Or maybe the reason for the blinking Coolant light?
That connector is completely normal. It is the connection for the AC clutch, the part that ingages and disengages the compressor. The connection only requires one wire on this car, the other side of the coil is grounded to the compressor body. It will have nothing to do with a blinking temperature light.
It has not been tampered with!

AC repaire requires more than just "adding 134A" You need at the very least a proper AC vacuum pump and a set of refrigeration gauges to make any kind of repairs to the system. There are some very good write ups in the how to library, Fdryer is the resident expert, follow his advice in the many threads he has commented in.

The temperature light is also controlled by the transmission temp sensor, you may want to search for the many threads giving advice on how to read this light. I can't remember all the things it tells you myself at the moment, sorry.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #57
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

29-30 is good for an automatic. I've only gotten mine up that high with lots of breathing mods... or course I could do better if I didnt like the sound of my exhaust.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #58
gui_tarzan
gui_tarzan is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread but we just bought our second SL (2002) and it vibrates pretty good. I went to AZ tonight and bought the upper mount since the exhaust all looks and sounds good. Then I promptly broke my Craftsman 15mm socket, time to get the break-away out and see if it takes care of the problem. I can stick my finger between the rubber and the top inside of the mount so I'm sure it's bad. The new one has almost no gap.

I like these cars a lot, I just wish they were a little bigger. My leg pushes against the console making it uncomfortable for me to drive very far but it's my wife's car so that's no big deal.

Thanks for the informative thread, guys!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gui_tarzan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gui_tarzan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #59
gui_tarzan
gui_tarzan is on a distinguished road

Yep, mine was broken. Time to do the other mounts now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gui_tarzan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gui_tarzan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #60
adambant
adambant has a spectacular aura aboutadambant has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL2

sorry, tried to delete my incorrect post, disregard this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adambant's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adambant reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adambant is offline   Reply With Quote