SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
04Pacific
04Pacific is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Have the Bridgestone's improved?

I have noticed a lot of people disliking the Dueller H/T's for the Vue. I have 17 inch wheels so maybe the compound is a bit different from the 16 inch pattern where I've seen most of the complaints.

I had my tires replaced at my trusted shop back in December and was shocked to find that they recommended the Duellers. I checked with my brother-in-law who was a tech for Toyota before going to the Army and he said they are good for the 17 inchers too. So I went with them.

I honestly haven't had any complaints about them. They seemed to do pretty well in the rain and snow and I ahaven't had any hydroplaning issues at all yet.

So all in all what do you folks think? I noticed on tirerack.com that the more recent reviews had better ratings for them. Maybe the compounds have gotten better?

Just looking for input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04Pacific's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04Pacific reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Have the Bridgestone's improved?

There's many users that like the Duellers, but a majority of owners had traction problems after they wear down.

All the Duellers I drove had less than 20k miles on them and the traction was still good on these vehicles.

I would say without a doubt that today's Duellers are a better tire than the Duellers made 6-7 years ago.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
04Pacific

2004 VUE 3.5L

Thank you, Bobby.

I was concerned by the hydroplaning complaint because of having my children in the car a lot. I feel better now.

I do drive very cautiously all of the time regardless of the weather. A big part of that is because I was a volunteer firefighter and 911 dispatcher and I have seen the results of careless driving.

On your comment about the Duellers getting better, I guess that is true too if Bridgestone wants to give customers a quality tire.

Of course, I want longevity, but my main concern is safety and traction since I live in South East PA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 04Pacific reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

The 17" Duelers have a better rating than the 16". I had the 16" on my VUE (twice) and then I changed to Michelins.

My brother has the 17" Duelers on his 2006 VUE. His VUE rides and handles a lot better than my 2003. The ride is a bit quieter too.

My guess is most of the folks running 16" Duelers did not have a good experience with their tires.

As to what's different? Could be the ply construction and/or compound. Don't know...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Pacific View Post
I have noticed a lot of people disliking the Dueller H/T's for the Vue. I have 17 inch wheels so maybe the compound is a bit different from the 16 inch pattern where I've seen most of the complaints.

I had my tires replaced at my trusted shop back in December and was shocked to find that they recommended the Duellers. I checked with my brother-in-law who was a tech for Toyota before going to the Army and he said they are good for the 17 inchers too. So I went with them.

I honestly haven't had any complaints about them. They seemed to do pretty well in the rain and snow and I ahaven't had any hydroplaning issues at all yet.

So all in all what do you folks think? I noticed on tirerack.com that the more recent reviews had better ratings for them. Maybe the compounds have gotten better?

Just looking for input.
I replaced the Duelers on my 05 Vue after 37,000 miles. They were doing a decent job but I'm cautious about having any tire more than four years regardless of miles.

The interesting thing about Duelers is there are many different flavors. According to Tire Rack customer satisfaction chart (see link) there are nine (9) different Duelers ... and one version is tied for fourth place in customer satisfaction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=HAS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I've had doubts aout my tires when I got my VUE after reading about all the complaints here. But I never had a problem out of them and I have 36K on them. They're actually better then the Goodyear Eagles with the same mileage that I had on my Cutlass.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
ems1
ems1 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I just replaced the Duellers on my '06 Vue with Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires. The Duellers were nearly worn out at 35,000 miles and were starting to hydroplane in wet conditions. Don't have any complaints about the Duellers except I would have liked them to last longer but I guess it was Ok for original tires.

The new Goodyear tires drive and ride about the same but are supposed to give better fuel mileage. According to the Goodyear site, they will more than pay for themselves over their lifetime. That remains to be seen. I haven't had them long enough to check this claim. These tires are new on the market.

I did notice the steering is lighter and the Vue seems to pick up more speed when driving down hills. This might be an indication of less rolling resistance?

'06 3.5 FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ems1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ems1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ems1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

they still wear fast. we just got 4 rental 08 vues 35k to 42k. all worn out tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

And just a theory of mine but- I think that the OEM supplied Duellers differ in quality than the same tires you buy from a tire retailer. This might be because in order to meet the line flow rate at the Saturn factory, Bridgestone had to crank out the Duellers faster than what they would normally do and therefore the OEM supplied Duellers aren't as good.

Just a theory though.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
they still wear fast. we just got 4 rental 08 vues 35k to 42k. all worn out tires.
Well, if the renters were like me, when it comes to rental cars, I drive 'em like I stole 'em.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
04Pacific

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
And just a theory of mine but- I think that the OEM supplied Duellers differ in quality than the same tires you buy from a tire retailer. This might be because in order to meet the line flow rate at the Saturn factory, Bridgestone had to crank out the Duellers faster than what they would normally do and therefore the OEM supplied Duellers aren't as good.

Just a theory though.

They did do that a number of years ago where the car companies would put lower quality tires on yet the same tire bought from a tire store would be of better quality. Supposedly that was outlawed but hey, who knows. It's a good thought that very well may be true.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Mine have worn better then expected. I got 68,000 out of the factory set and replaced them with another set even before indicators were showing. They are looking to get about the same mileage.

I'd have to agree that wet traction after 40,000 miles is not great even with a lot of tread left.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
The heavier 08 VUE's probably helped accelerate the wear...

On my SC I would always get 50K miles with every tire I had on it.

I anticipate my VUE will do about the same... I'm going to re-install my Turanzas when the Nitto's Red Line Tires wear out.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

I got 42K out of my 04 Vue and 47K out of my 06Vue. Both were 16 inch. I could have driven them longer in both cases but chose to be proactive. Even though I thought the Michelins I bought for my 04 and the Kuhmos I bought for my 06 rode better, but my general impression of the Duelers was not that bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
scotydoc
scotydoc is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2009 Astra XE

I would doubt it. I replaced my 16" Duelers at 30,000 with Solo-21. The Dulles were always noisy; the Firestone dealer in my neighborhood is not a trust Worthy. Charged Firestone for rotation and didn't rotate the tires. Lost nut covers and on it goes. Go on long road trip in a few weeks , so will see what the real difference is. Bridgestone tires were chosen by Saturn for its ability to deliver to Springhill for just in time production at a low price. Now that said I have 15 Duelers in my 1995 GMC Jimmy 2 wd. Now the traction is fair in snow but they a very quite, And a wearing well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotydoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotydoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

have an 05 with im sure original duells on them...bought the car with 31,000 now has 42,000 to me looks like i could go another 10k or so..but one has a slow leak..very very awful in snow(as bad as a honda sport coupe w/o trac control) dread everytime it snows..no matter the amount...and rain..ouy! if its puddlin outside I go nowhere near the speed limit when drivin due too hydroplane....i know they are not new but thought i could go a few more years..last time I had my oil change they were sayin its about time for new tires..they wanted 850 for all 4....and to put duells back on....i know i cant get 4 new for 450 and not duells..u can tell my tread(at lease on orig 05) that they wouldnt last long....im still kinda convince my car was a rental....do they have stick shift in rentals????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #17
04Pacific

2004 VUE 3.5L

Hmmm. It does seem to be most complaints are arising from the 16 inch/original tires.

I think that Tom92SCm could be onto something with his theory.

It's a shame the H/T's weren't tested in Consumer Reports latest test. It would be interesting to see what their conclusions would be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
tcndeb
tcndeb will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

I have a 04 with factory Duelers still on it. I have 67,000 miles on them, and they do fine in the rain here in Texas. The noise doesn't seem to be a problem, but I'll know more about that when I change tires. They aren't down to the wear strips yet, but I'm gonna order 4 new Kuhmos next week.

I think a lot of the bad rep comes from people parroting other people's complaints. I spent 10 minutes at a bar listening to a guy rip on the Duelers on his Vue, but when questioned he admitted that HE never had the car with Duelers on it, but a buddy of his did. And of course his buddy "conveniently" worked at a tire place that gets tons of complaints about Duelers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tcndeb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tcndeb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tcndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

I posted on another thread that I expect at least 30,000 from my Duelers, based on current wear, 13,000 miles, and rotate every 5,000 miles. The rear tires look almost new. They have only been on the front for 5,000 miles.

ems1, have you noticed better fuel mileage with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires? Have they affected cornering ability at all? Thank you.

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #20
ems1
ems1 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7Mayberry View Post
I posted on another thread that I expect at least 30,000 from my Duelers, based on current wear, 13,000 miles, and rotate every 5,000 miles. The rear tires look almost new. They have only been on the front for 5,000 miles.

ems1, have you noticed better fuel mileage with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires? Have they affected cornering ability at all? Thank you.
My driving can be a bit spririted and I haven't noticed any decrease in cornering ability. I don't notice much difference at all in ride and handling but there is much less road noise. Less road noise should be expected when comparing nearly worn out tires to new. I think the less aggressive tread pattern of the Goodyear tires will mean less road noise for the life of the tire. Here is a link to some info about these tires on Automobile mag:

http://automobile.automotive.com/108...res/index.html

I got the 235/65-16 installed w/ tax for $469. At that price it's a no brainer since the fuel mileage saving should pay for the tires.

I haven't driven enough to document an increase in mileage but will check it on the next road trip.

By the way, drove from Philly to Tampa before the tire change and was averaging a little over 25 mpg. Not bad considering the speed was around 80 most of the time.

'06 3.5 FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ems1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ems1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ems1 is offline   Reply With Quote