SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
nomoresubmarine
nomoresubmarine is on a distinguished road

Default hydrogen generator

Ok, I have been reading about building your own Hydrogen generator to help imrove gas milage, looks pretty simple. The one question I have for you Saturn Mechanics that know the ins and outs of these engines is where is the best, strongest, closest to the block, easiest to get to vacume line to hook into. Where is this line located and why would you use it. Please be specific in answering as I want to make a choice that will not have me doing the job again. No I do not want to use anything associated with the power brakes. The car is an 03 Ion 2. Thanks in advance for the answers.
Neal
03 Ion 2
85467 miles, 28mpg in town 33 highway

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nomoresubmarine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nomoresubmarine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nomoresubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
nomoresubmarine

Default Re: hydrogen generator

I am disapointed in the group. So many "experts" here but none to answer a simple vacume question. I was not asking for opinions on hydrogen making devices, just a simple location of the BEST vacume source to use. Hydrogen is like using a K&N Filter, some swear by it and some say it is a gimmick, I just wanted to try something as a simple project. Thanks for your time group, Happy Holidays to all.
Neal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nomoresubmarine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

what people usually do is to try it out on the vacoom cleaner, just to save themselves the trouble in case it does not work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
hrogi04
hrogi04 is on a distinguished road

Well you are number 200,394,565,000 person to try this and you to will fail.

This Hydrogen thing never works and never will work out at this time.

It is simple water does not have enough engry to make a car go like Gasoline does.

Just stop messing around and get a turbo and tune it well, it will be better for everyone in the end.

If this really worked then GM and Ford would ship it with every car, so they could meet the 30 to 35 MPG goals they need to meet right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hrogi04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hrogi04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hrogi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
nomoresubmarine

Hey nababbo, your a funny guy, " it out on the vacoom cleaner", and hrogi04 have you actually been counting how many people have not done this, "you are number 200,394,565,000 person to try this and you to will fail." as compared to how many that actually have. Just because someone wants to try something does not mean they are not going to make it work. I asked for one simple question from the guys that claim to be experts on these engines, where is the best place to pick up a vacume line would be, thats all I asked. Apparently that is not going to happen on this site. I have seen other people harrassed here and now I know why people leave the site to those who cannot answer simple questions and want to beat their chests at how smart they are on bolt on products from their local parts store or favorite rag magazine. If you guys would open your brain a bit you might gain some insight to the world. I am sure if I had disguised my question as to how to find a vacume line for my turbo it would have been answered ten fold by now. Happy Holidays to all.

By the way, I know you wont believe it but a fellow Saturn owner I know has done the bio-fuel conversion on his Saturn and is getting 49 MPG, the idea was to try the hydrogen generator and see if we could beat the bio-fuel and then post results and how to's afterwards, like thats going to happen now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

actually the funniest part of my post was the "vacoom"...sorry, "vacume"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its VACUUM ! What a godawful kuntry wen wees kant spell!?

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
FlintIonQC
FlintIonQC is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Dizzy Re: hydrogen generator

You can't come in here and in 10 days expect the "experts" you are referring to reply. Get off your soapbox already. You may want to try ionforums.net and redlineforums.com or cobaltss.net for more specialized help since many members have done engine builds and turbo setups and the like over there.

By the way, how much did it cost this guy to do the conversion, and will it last longer than the standard system will?

Man, some of you people on here are so high strung.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FlintIonQC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FlintIonQC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FlintIonQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #9
firestomper25
firestomper25 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintIonQC View Post
You can't come in here and in 10 days expect the "experts" you are referring to reply. Get off your soapbox already. You may want to try ionforums.net and redlineforums.com or cobaltss.net for more specialized help since many members have done engine builds and turbo setups and the like over there.

By the way, how much did it cost this guy to do the conversion, and will it last longer than the standard system will?

Man, some of you people on here are so high strung.

They are. Real serious type.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firestomper25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firestomper25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firestomper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Depends on what you need the vacuum source for. There are three types of work engine vaccum does:

1. Signal. If all you need is a reference signal, such as a MAP sensor or for turning a switch off and on, you can put a tee in any of the small vacuum lines from the intake manifold.

2. Evacuation. Vacuum for power brakes is a good example here. All the vacuum source is being asked to do is maintain a pressure chamber at a certain level. It is never open to atmospheric pressure and operates at very low levels. If you need this type, you can tap into the booster line. This is a combination of signal and flow.

3. Flow Source. This type of vacuum is open to atmospheric pressure. A PCV valve is a good example here. It is pulling air into the intake manifold almost constantly. This one could be more problematic. This is a controlled air leak and has to be accounted for in the fuel calibrations. You can't tap the PCV line since you'll reduce flow in that system. You'd have to put a new source fitting in the intake manifold and hope you don't start throwing lean codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote