SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
matthew999
matthew999 is on a distinguished road

Default Relay DVD Problems

My Relay FWD-2 had flickering dash/head lamps problem and the DVD buzzing sound when playing DVD audio through the car speakers and accelerating. After the days it lost the ability to play a DVD and the radio at the same time. Specifically, it couldn't play DVD audio through the wireless headphones while the radio was playing through the car speakers. The DVD video would shut down during radio play. Saturn service had the car for two days, replaced the alternator and added a second ground wire. I'm not sure if the new alternator had higher Amps. Anyway, the buzzing sound and flickering issue went away. The DVD audio was partially fixed. The system will only function properly (DVD audio through headphones and radio through car speakers) if you press the PLAY button on the DVD player first. If the DVD starts playing any other way, such as automatically starting after engine starts, the DVD Video and Audio cut out immediately after playing the radio... just as it did previously. I suppose I'll live with this shortcoming and take no further action. Did anyone have a similar experience with the DVD cutting off? Does anyone have any thoughts as to what happened or what the next steps (if any) should be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to matthew999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help matthew999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
matthew999 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #2
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Relay DVD Problems

If the system doesn't work as designed, you paid big bucks for a bad option.

Press dealer to contact Saturn technical assistance for a resolution.

If they can't fx it, consider the following:

1. Demand removal of the option, restoration of the vehicle so removal doesn't show, and a refund of the option price.

2. Give saturn the required number of repair attempts required by your state and return the vehicle via lemon law.

This can be fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Unless he's in Canada where it is optional, all the Relays and GM vans have the DVD player standard. In any event, I don't think this would qualify for lemon law. Although I don't know too much about all lemon laws, the DVD player still can function as designed if you set it up right and doesn't affect the core functionality of the vehicle. I'd try getting a replacement DVD player first.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
BobL
Master Member

If a defect materially reduces the value of your vehicle, many states will let you go lemon law.

With kids a DVD makes a big difference, so it may qualify.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

I've driven many Relay's with DVD, and have not experience the issue you describe. Work with your retailer to investigate and get it fixed. I don't understand why the first post suggests you take the lemon law route!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KenSatrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KenSatrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KenSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:20 AM   #6
BobL
Master Member

My comment would only become effective if the dealer made the required number of repair attempts without solving the problem.

Of course, the dealer should be contacted again, then Saturn customer assistance.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation