SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
Default The Last Minute!!!

Ok, only a couple more days till the smog test and it is time to refill the gas. Should I use Chevron? High or low octane?
Does it matter?
Should I change the oil filter?
Seafoam it?
Clean the air filter?
Change the oil?
Put new spark plugs in it?
Change the o2 sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: The Last Minute!!!

Do you have some reason to suspect it won't pass the smog test as-is??

That seems like a lot of work if your cars currently running ok.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

If the air filter and plugs are known to be cruddy, then replace them; forget all the rest (unless there is some other know problem, as said before). Go to a test station that gives a "free retest", they don't cost any more than others.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
If the air filter and plugs are known to be cruddy, then replace them; forget all the rest (unless there is some other know problem, as said before). Go to a test station that gives a "free retest", they don't cost any more than others.
^^^^+1 Any check engine lights on ?

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco Ė 5sp Ė Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Get yourself a USB laptop scanner for $20 to know if improvements can be made to your ignition burn characteristics.

I think the air filter, to a certain point, may be a waste of your money unless it is overly filthy. If it is just lightly or moderately dirty the computer compensates for any reduced air flow. In history it was more important to keep a clean air filter, but it is not as important today.

To be realistic though, make sure your plugs are cleaned, gapped, no corrosion on the wire set, and this will be the best you can do in a short period of time. Longer term get yourself a USB scanner. That will tell you where improvements can be made. Ask here if you are not sure which scanner package people prefer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1

The problem is, last time I had it smogged, it barely passed. I really want to make sure it passes this time, otherwise the government will have succeeded at removing another good ol' car from the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
code1bob
code1bob is a jewel in the roughcode1bob is a jewel in the roughcode1bob is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

Make sure it is warmed up prior to the test.

I would be sure to have a clean air filter, also fresh oil. I also have some high octane fuel in the tank.
It is important to make sure the tech lets the vehicle get warmed up prior to starting the test. My tech seems to run it at about 2,000 rpm for a couple of minutes before he starts the test.

1997 SL1
5 speed manual
348,001 mi.+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to code1bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help code1bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
code1bob is offline   Reply With Quote