SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General

Old 04-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default How long will the Relay be around?

Somewhere I got the impression that the Outlook will replace the Relay. How long will the Relay be around? Will there be an 07 model year?
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: How long will the Relay be around?

I think they should cancel it immediately.
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

They shouldn't cancel it immediately. There WILL be a 2007 model. Whether or not Saturn gets a Lambda-based Relay at the end of the decade is currently up in the air, I think.
"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
tableforSeven
tableforSeven is on a distinguished road

I love my Relay....I hope they keep it around for a LOOOONG time.
tableforSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
06lev3x4
06lev3x4 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

i dont know why in the hell they would get rid of the relay.... didnt they just bring it out like what last year.. or was it this year. If they did get rid of it then they are really stupid and impulsive or something.... like me lol.. well the impulsive part anyway.
Ion 3 Sedan with 2.4 liter engine stock

"Weekends here, good god almighty people, lets get drunk and be somebody"
06lev3x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:21 AM   #6
silvervoo
silvervoo is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Maybe they just wanted to have the Relay long enough to equip all the Saturn dealerships with a Saturn-brand shuttle van?
●● If it doesn't have a clutch, I'm not interested ●● Vive la bote manuelle ●●
silvervoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Washer Fluid
Washer Fluid is on a distinguished road

it has already been around tooo freaking long...its a POS
It is my understanding that it will only be here through 2006 maybe 07 not sure
Signature!?!...I don't need a stinkin' Signature!
Washer Fluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
cdp326
Master Member

Why do you think it's a POS?

If you think that it's gone after 2006 you haven't been paying attention.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

If they hadn't cancelled the Montana for '07 (as I have heard) then I would have guessed the Relay would have gotten the axe. I don't know why Pontiac ever had a mini-van anyway. The excitement division putting their name on the least exciting segment of vehicle. Not that I haven't ever driven one. My dad has had 2 already, and his 3rd will arrive any day now. But with the deminse of the Montana, I think the Relay might stick around as GM 3rd option for a mini-van. (My dad was going to order the Relay, but the packaging was too expensive compared to the Montana, and it's a company car, so he didn't have much choice. So much for our 4 driver, 4 Saturn family)
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
gmhashope
gmhashope is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
They shouldn't cancel it immediately. There WILL be a 2007 model. Whether or not Saturn gets a Lambda-based Relay at the end of the decade is currently up in the air, I think.
GMC and Chevy will receive Lambda minivans in '08/'09. Pontiac will not have a minivan for the MY '07. I believe that '07 will be the last model year for the Relay, if not the '08 will def. be for sure.

I think GM will have the Relay stick around until MY '08 mainly because Saturn can use any sales they get because they will be without the ION for around 8 months.
gmhashope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

While the U-Body GM minivan has been around for what seems like an eternity, Relay was introduced in fall 2004 as a 2005 model. All indications are that there will be a 2007 model and abbreviated 2008 model year run for Relay before GM officially ceases operations at the Doraville plant.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
VuePoint
VuePoint is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2005 RELAY-2

I spent some time with my salesman yesterday while my Vue was getting a bad radio checked out. He told me that the 07's are very likely the last Relays. He claims the Outlook is gonna blow it out of the water and nobody will want a Relay anymore.
2006 Ion Coupe 2.4L
2005 Relay-2
2005 Vue AWD V6 (RIP)
1996 SL2 (RIP)
1995 SL2 (RIP)
VuePoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
gmhashope
gmhashope is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I wouldn't be surprised to see MY'07 be the last for the Relay. If not all of the CSVs will end after '08 as the plant that builds them is closing then.
gmhashope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
Mark@Saturn
Mark@Saturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuePoint
I spent some time with my salesman yesterday while my Vue was getting a bad radio checked out. He told me that the 07's are very likely the last Relays. He claims the Outlook is gonna blow it out of the water and nobody will want a Relay anymore.
I would agree with him. There's no concrete information about the future of the Relay anywhere... but Buick and Pontiac have cancelled theirs, leaving only Chevy and Saturn with them.

GMC and some other brand (Chevy?) along with Saturn are getting Outlook-based cars this year so it seems plausible that Relay is on the outs.

As far as I know, only the Chevy version is selling in any numbers to speak of, and the numbers are still disappointing.

Funny, they don't sell well, but the few customers I have who drive them love them to death. The car has had its share of issues, but I think with some refinements (better fold-away & removable seats, take out mandatory DVD & lower price, put in the better GM 3.5 & 3.6 engines, better interior cloth, ditch the modular storage rails, allow sunroof) it would be a great van.

They ought to change it and keep it as a more "VAN-ny" alternative to the crossover "SUV-ish" Outlook.
Mark@Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #15
yensid
yensid is on a distinguished road

It is great that they brought in the Outlook, however it is NOT a minivan. One of the reasons we purchased the Relay was that it had sliding doors. To those who don't like minivans this obviously is not an issue. To those who need those to drop of kids and park in tight places this is essential.

Too bad if they do drop all the minivan developments for Saturn. Their customer service has been excellent for both of our vehicles.
yensid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #16
myoung
Advanced Member
myoung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuePoint
Nobody wants a Relay now. They sell what, 500 a month, total? Stupid, stupid idea.
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
06lev3x4
06lev3x4 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Just out of curiousity what exactly is wrong with all these "cousin" vans (the chevy, pontiac, saturn and buick ones that makes them so bad? I have seen some people around with them. Is it just the design b/c if thats it then thats not a good reason to not want a minivan. Does it have some mechanical flaws too?
Ion 3 Sedan with 2.4 liter engine stock

"Weekends here, good god almighty people, lets get drunk and be somebody"
06lev3x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #18
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06lev3x4
Just out of curiousity what exactly is wrong with all these "cousin" vans (the chevy, pontiac, saturn and buick ones that makes them so bad? I have seen some people around with them. Is it just the design b/c if thats it then thats not a good reason to not want a minivan. Does it have some mechanical flaws too?
They just aren't up to snuff with the competition in the segment. The Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota offerings out class them in fetures, and refinement, etc. They do have perhaps more than their fair share of mechanical flaws, but they are highlighted more becuase of the lack of content. The negatives seem to outweigh the positives, but perspective has a lot to do with it. My dad has driven nothing but the GM mini-vans for the last 11 years. He is now on 5th. (they are company vehicles, and he gets a new one every 3 years or 100,000kms which ever comes first) He likes them just fine. But to be honest the biggest reason he drives the GM over a Chrysler is GM is his #1 customer. Ford is #2, and he'd never be caught dead in a *whatchamacallit*star, (even though he doesn't pay for the vehicle himself) and he has no dealings with Chrysler. Driving an import would be financial suicide.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #19
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

We looked at the Relay when it first came out as my wife has a 99 Grand Caravan ES and I would like to get her a newer van. We liked it. However, we decided that her Caravan has more features, more plushness and, its paid for.

My observations on why the Relay isn't selling are:

1. It is the first non-polymer Saturn and that turns off the die hard Saturn fans.

2. The reported flickering lights and falling off trim problems have turned most everyone else off.

3. Honda, Toyota, DC and even Kia/Hyundai offer more features, better quality at a comparable price.

I actually like small vans. I don't like the bad gas mileage that full size vans get. I would consider a Mazda 5, Honda Element, Scion xB or even a 4cyl Dodge Caravan as a possible next vehicle.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #20
cdp326
Master Member

In addition, mikec, it's because GM's minivan sales have only really ever been a tenth of the total minivan market, and throw in the fact that Saturn has never competed in this segment and doesn't heavily advertise it...and there you go.
Skip the I4 Caravan, BTW--it's mileage benefits are too small to try and overcome the smaller amount of power next to the 3.3 V6.
It seems that Chrysler is leaving the short wheelbase van market, however, with the next model. Kia is moving in right behind them with a short wheelbase Sedona, though.