SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
aboz12
aboz12 is on a distinguished road

Default 04 vue making loud noises when going over bumps

I have an '04 Vue V6 with approx. 50K on the clock. When I go over a bump I can hear kinda a thump,rattling noise, but it is deep in pitch. I rechecked the tires and the pressure is at 32 PSI. I did do the bounce test to see if the struts are ok and they do not continue to bounce and I do hear a whooshing sound. Could it be a spring, suspension, or maybe a bushing?

Thanks.
aboz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 04 vue making loud noises when going over bumps

Welcome to the boards! We hope you find the posts to be informative and helpful.

VUEs rattle a lot in the front end. Posters have listed several problems that happen with the early VUEs. Swaybar links are a primary culprit.

Here is the text from a poster with this problem (sorry, I don't have his name):

Recently, I started to hear a bit of a groaning noise when only making a right hand turn at slow speed (25mph or lower). Noise started getting worse a it became evident going over bumps.

Took it in to the dealer and they searched it back to either the stabilizer link and/or the upper strut mount. Estimated cost to repair - $500, parts and labor. The links were in stock and the strut mount had to be ordered. I asked the technician to show me what the stabilizer link looked like, which he did. Two nuts holding a vertical support arm connecting the stabilizer (sway) bar to the strut. Looked like a simple job (challenge). Bought the two links, they come as a right and a left.

40 minutes later, job was complete, the noise was gone, and approx $350 saved.

Tools you will need:
Penetrating oil
18mm box wrench
7/16 hex key

There are other possible causes too. If you search the boards here, you'll find issues with the front end suspension and CV/axles.

Hope this helps.
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
aboz12

Thanks for the help, is there any pictures of the strut mounts and sway bars?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #4
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboz12 View Post
Thanks for the help, is there any pictures of the strut mounts and sway bars?

Thanks
Search the forums, this is a pretty hot topic. I'm in the process of doing this same work myself. I found out that the original strut mounts I'd ordered a while back had the wrong part number (from Monroe's catalog), which has recently been updated.

The dealer (supposedly) replaced my end links a month or so ago, but I couldn't tell any difference. Every imperfection in the road makes it sound like there's an evil gnome banging on my front suspension. I'm pretty well convinced the front strut mounts are totally shot, as this has been getting worse over the last 15k miles or so, to the point where I hardly noticed it until my Dad totally freaked out about it one night when we were going out for dinner in my car. He hadn't been in it in a long time, and was like "how can you stand that?" and "it sounds like it's about to fall apart!" Gee thanks Dad!

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=1#post1345443
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I had to have the exhaust replaced on mine because the "flex spring" was weak and allownig the exhaust to bang against the bottom of the VUE. This also included a new catalytic converter because it's all one piece. The front end on mine must be fairly quiet, that or I'm just expect noise from a vehicle as it ages.

Dave
Never let facts stand in the way of a good opinion!!
runerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
revue
Advanced Member
revue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Search the forums, this is a pretty hot topic. I'm in the process of doing this same work myself. I found out that the original strut mounts I'd ordered a while back had the wrong part number (from Monroe's catalog), which has recently been updated.

The dealer (supposedly) replaced my end links a month or so ago, but I couldn't tell any difference. Every imperfection in the road makes it sound like there's an evil gnome banging on my front suspension. I'm pretty well convinced the front strut mounts are totally shot, as this has been getting worse over the last 15k miles or so, to the point where I hardly noticed it until my Dad totally freaked out about it one night when we were going out for dinner in my car. He hadn't been in it in a long time, and was like "how can you stand that?" and "it sounds like it's about to fall apart!" Gee thanks Dad!

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=1#post1345443
I have the same problem with my 04. But I'm being lazy about it and trying to ignore the noise by avoiding potholes and driving on smoother roads.

Last time I had the front wheels off I noticed if I would hit the caliper with a rubber mallet it would make a nice clunking noise. I did replace a pair of those little silicone rubber bushings a year or two ago but that didn't make any difference. I'd like to replace all the pins and bushings for the brakes but haven't found any place online that sells those small parts.

I suppose it could be the strut mounts but the noise seems to come from a area much lower down on the vehicle.

Replacing sway bar links hasn't helped. I even removed one sway bar link completely and drove it around for awhile, the noise was still there.
revue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
Brock4u
Brock4u is on a distinguished road

That sounds just like mine, i have a 02 Vue, and i replaced the sway bars, the pads the rotors and even doubed tightened the sway bar links. I still get this weird noise when hitting bumps or going around 70 i feel a slight vibration/rattle when i turn the wheel slightly, its very weird and the mechanics i have taken it to says everything looks good. I hope my wheel never falls off on the freeway!
Brock4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by revue View Post
I have the same problem with my 04. But I'm being lazy about it and trying to ignore the noise by avoiding potholes and driving on smoother roads.

Last time I had the front wheels off I noticed if I would hit the caliper with a rubber mallet it would make a nice clunking noise. I did replace a pair of those little silicone rubber bushings a year or two ago but that didn't make any difference. I'd like to replace all the pins and bushings for the brakes but haven't found any place online that sells those small parts.

I suppose it could be the strut mounts but the noise seems to come from a area much lower down on the vehicle.

Replacing sway bar links hasn't helped. I even removed one sway bar link completely and drove it around for awhile, the noise was still there.
Same here... the stealership replaced my end links (under extended warranty, $100 deductible), no change. I've finally got the right strut mounts, so hopefully next weekend I can get them put on and shut this front end up (for another 50k miles at least I hope).
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
aboz12

Thanks for all your advice and help, however after replacing the sway bar links, the noise is still there and louder. does anyone have pics/diagrams oh the spring and strut mounts?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I bought an 05 Vue with 36K miles a few months back. Tires were low and once I pumped them to door-sticker pressure (35 psi) I had front end noise which sounded like the brakes were rattling.

After checking several posts I lubricated the front stabilizer bar bushings and replaced end-links with no change in clatter.

Next step was to lubricate the front brake caliper guide pins (per advice from Saturn tech) ... with no change.

Finally I raised the hood and had my wife bounce the VUE (using knee in the fog-light opening for leverage). The noise was coming from the top of the strut mounts (there are rubber bushing between the coil spring and chassis).

It didn't sound like a squeak as you'd expect but more like a rattle.

I sprayed copious amounts of silicone spray in the openings all around the large center strut bolt ... on driver and passenger sides ... until the noise ceased.

I've now driven the VUE almost 800 miles over two months with nary a sound from the front-end.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
aboz12

An update... my dad did the bounce test and the noise is like a creaking sound from both sides.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
Milldawg
Milldawg is on a distinguished road

A word of advice for those of wishing to change out upper mounts yourself. First, spray lots of wd-40 or something on the nuts days before you plan to do the work. It will pool around the nuts. It will drip so make sure you have something down to catch it if you do not want it on the floor.

Second, do the job where you have "shop" air. We tried using a little 20 gallon or so compressor and it just didn't have enough mustard behind it. I have seen where folks use vice grips and get them so tight they have to stand on them to clamp them to the shaft and then use a break over bar. You can leave some tension onthe springs to help keep the shaft from spinning.

If you have all the right tools this is only an hour job max. The upper nuts can be a real PITA though.
Milldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
aboz12

a 2nd update..... we sprayed silicon spray, and guess what no noise!

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
revue
Advanced Member
revue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milldawg View Post
A word of advice for those of wishing to change out upper mounts yourself. First, spray lots of wd-40 or something on the nuts days before you plan to do the work. It will pool around the nuts. It will drip so make sure you have something down to catch it if you do not want it on the floor.

Second, do the job where you have "shop" air. We tried using a little 20 gallon or so compressor and it just didn't have enough mustard behind it. I have seen where folks use vice grips and get them so tight they have to stand on them to clamp them to the shaft and then use a break over bar. You can leave some tension onthe springs to help keep the shaft from spinning.

If you have all the right tools this is only an hour job max. The upper nuts can be a real PITA though.
There's a little trick to loosen the big top nut. It involves using a
large 1/2 inch drive spark plug socket that has a hex drive on the
outside. You hold the shaft from turning with a 3/8 drive socket
with an extension through the back end of the spark plug socket.
Then you use a wrench on the outer hex of the spark plug socket to
loosen the nut. Not my idea, someone else posted it and it works.
revue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #15
Milldawg
Milldawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by revue View Post
There's a little trick to loosen the big top nut. It involves using a
large 1/2 inch drive spark plug socket that has a hex drive on the
outside. You hold the shaft from turning with a 3/8 drive socket
with an extension through the back end of the spark plug socket.
Then you use a wrench on the outer hex of the spark plug socket to
loosen the nut. Not my idea, someone else posted it and it works.
That would work If your not a tightwad like me, they actually make strut nut tools to buy. Your way is probably cheaper!
Milldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #16
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

I'm going to bring our VUE in for the ubiquitous front end rattle next week before it rolls over 36000 miles. I guess I could be a nice guy and soak the strut bolts with PB Blaster "just in case."

Cheers,
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote