SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #21
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
Default Re: questions about head gasket/overheating/missing.

Your said your AC air intake was "horribly clogged". Did you check if the AC condenser and the coolant radiator was clogged? That may be a cause of overheating. Inspect and clean them is a routine maintenance item.

1/28/2019 2002 SL2 w 62k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #22
OCMan
OCMan is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The EGR and CAT are not related in that 95 Saturn.
Well that is good to know. Because that tells me even more that the mechanic that looked at it may well be misdiagnosing the issues.

I did take it for a short drive today, with the aluminum cutout under the EGR. Only about a mile there and a mile back. During this time the car felt a ton better. I actually had to slow down because it was going faster than expected. It is only a stretch of about 30-35 mph through there.

My one confusion with this method, I followed Richpin's video of it. I thought the car should instantly throw an egr error and turn the ses light on as soon as I started the vehicle. However; the ses light never came on even during the drive. I will likely try taking it on a slightly longer drive, and try to include a chunk of highway to see if it functions any differently that way.

Thanks for any further input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OCMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OCMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #23
OCMan

1995 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverblu02SL2 View Post
Your said your AC air intake was "horribly clogged". Did you check if the AC condenser and the coolant radiator was clogged? That may be a cause of overheating. Inspect and clean them is a routine maintenance item.
By coolant radiator you mean right behind the front of the car, in front of the fan right? As in the radiator? I am not sure if those two are the same or different. If you mean what I call the radiator then it is very clean. It was changed in the last few years. Under the hood I see no debris anywhere. I think the ac intake was so bad because I honestly never knew it was there and I park in front of a large tree. If we have a bad storm it churns up a great deal of mess.

Is the AC condenser the part that is under the glove box, and you basically remove the blower motor to see it? From what I can tell that seemed pretty clean when I took the blower motor out. I took a video of it. But I am not sure if I did a great job.

https://i.imgur.com/uaOKwEX.mp4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OCMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #24
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Most of Rich's cars are 2nd gens, some 3rd gens...all with the picky OBD-II diagnostic system. OBD-I doesn't care about most things and even when it does care the code often gets reset when you turn the key off making getting it an interesting task.

The A/C Condenser is bolted to the front of the coolant radiator, the radiator fan is bolted to the back of the radiator. If the A/C condenser is plugged up from either debris in it or debris hitting and folding over the fins it will block air flow and make the car run hotter than it should (especially on 'high speed' highway runs). If you're only having temp issue's with long periods of low to medium speed (5-30mph) then it could be missing the air dam "flapper" which directs air up to the radiator from below.

Not sure if '95 got the updated larger grill opening or if it was just '96 but that's another issue with the early Coupes and a missing air dam.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The 95 SC-2 is not known for overheating issues unless something is radically wrong. This is however a 95 SC-1 and overheating takes real work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #26
OCMan

1995 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Most of Rich's cars are 2nd gens, some 3rd gens...all with the picky OBD-II diagnostic system. OBD-I doesn't care about most things and even when it does care the code often gets reset when you turn the key off making getting it an interesting task.

The A/C Condenser is bolted to the front of the coolant radiator, the radiator fan is bolted to the back of the radiator. If the A/C condenser is plugged up from either debris in it or debris hitting and folding over the fins it will block air flow and make the car run hotter than it should (especially on 'high speed' highway runs). If you're only having temp issue's with long periods of low to medium speed (5-30mph) then it could be missing the air dam "flapper" which directs air up to the radiator from below.

Not sure if '95 got the updated larger grill opening or if it was just '96 but that's another issue with the early Coupes and a missing air dam.
Okay, so I pulled up another video by Richpin since he always shows up. I looked under the front of my car, and from what I can tell there is not only not a deflector on the car but there is also no air dam. How likely is this to be causing my issues with stop and go traffic? I literally have 0 overheat issues on things like highways outside of traffic. Driving through town at like 30 mph is also fine. It is only when I have to stop and sit repeatedly that it is an issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #27
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Next to none. If you really want to get into the real decent pictures are required as the 95-96 model years are a real soup sandwich as to how the were constructed. The air dam only works when you are moving at < 20 mph or so and after 30mph or so is just useless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #28
OCMan

1995 SC1

Okay...but stopped and moving slowly is when the car overheats. Moving faster than that it never gets hot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #29
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Ignore my comment above, this will make better sense.

Next to none. If you really want to get into the underneath air deflectors then real decent pictures are required as the 95-96 model years are a real soup sandwich as to how they were constructed. The air dam only works when you are moving at < 20 mph or so and after 30mph or so is just useless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #30
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You have a sohc, it should never overheat so something is wrong. My guess would be as severely restricted deareation line and the restriction is where it is screwed into the head. The other possibility is a shot fan motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #31
OCMan

1995 SC1

Okay so most likely the deareation line. So I see where that bolts in but how do I clear a clog out of that if it has one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #32
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If yiu do not have tubing wrenches you leave that to the tech. First you have to ge a good look at the return to reservoir stream. It should be a solid liquid full flow stream.

Then you need to check the fan. If it is good it makes quite a draft.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #33
OCMan

1995 SC1

Well I have looked at that stream before and it is not stable. It is more of a cascade is how I would describe it. I do not have tubing wrenches, but I can get some. I would rather buy a set of wrenches for about 15 bucks than pay a mechanic to sort it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #34
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMan View Post
As stated the car gets up into the red, but assuming I can get out of the stop and go traffic and moving again it will go down.

My AC has never really worked in the car, but I think I just solved that. The cowl screen was horribly obstructed with degraded leaves and mimosa seeds. I cleared this up and now my vents actually push air out. Could this air intake clog have caused my car to maybe have the overheating issue? I am a car noob to a point. I had no clue where the air intake was till I cleaned that out.

I have no idea if the car has ever boiled over. I have never had steam rise up from the car like you see in movies if that is what you mean. I do not really have to add coolant. I did when I changed all those parts out of course. And I need to add some now, after they have messed with everything. But other than that it usually seems to maintain the level.
Use a paper clip to jump the AB connectors under the dash. The cooling fan should come on.

Make sure the key is ON but make sure the engine is OFF, when you do this, or you will fry the PCM.

You probably need a cooling fan.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #35
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMan View Post
Well I have looked at that stream before and it is not stable. It is more of a cascade is how I would describe it. I do not have tubing wrenches, but I can get some. I would rather buy a set of wrenches for about 15 bucks than pay a mechanic to sort it out.
It is a brass threaded insert into an aluminum head. This can go sideways real easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #36
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The actual line into the head is steel so you get corrosion right where it connects. As this can turn into a real mess quickly you want to actually check all the easy stuff first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #37
OCMan

1995 SC1

Okay so I took the car for a longer run and I will say this, with the aluminum between the EGR valve, the engine has way more power and was not missing even once. Does that mean I need a new valve or is there still other issues that could be causing the issue? When I went in and did the aluminum I check the pintel and it did not seem like it would be sticking if pushed in and out pretty easy.

As to the fan. I am uncertain honestly. Is there some place I can look that will specifically show me where you are saying to use a paper clip? I figure it could be possible that they were wrong about my fan turning on, or they could be lying to me as they are telling me my egr issue is being caused by the catalytic converter.

Thank you again for any info you can offer. I appreciate it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #38
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are several ways to force the cooling fan on. The easiest way is to disconnect the two wire coolant sensor (not the single wire sensor) and turn on ignition. The cooling fan should turn on. If not, start the engine and the fan should run. It should be loud, forcing air thru the ac condenser coil then radiator.

If ac works, turn it on. The cooling fan must run with ac - the condenser coil gets warm to hot with warm/hot air flowing into a hot radiator. If the cooling fan isn't blowing with force, warm/hot air from the condenser coil won't cool the hot radiator. Overheating in local traffic may occur. At speed, the forced air will blow thru condenser coil and radiator.

The cooling fan should be loud, not quiet when its running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #39
OCMan

1995 SC1

So doesn't that mean then if the fan was not working it would overheat if I run my AC? Also if the AC causes the fan to run, does that mean I can run the AC rather than the heater in the summer if it did start getting overly warm? Personally so far I am not sure if the fan is working. I just drove to the store, so at this point the engine is way to hot to try to remove a ects. So maybe I will try that a little later today after it has cooled off sufficiently. I had tried to remove the sensor the other day and was having issues. I think I may have been squeezing wrong. I was squeezing the top and bottom to no effect. From what I see it is the sides?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #40
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-I should have clarified about testing the cooling fan. Disconnecting the coolant sensor (and not driving around), observing for fan turn on and determining whether it blows with force or not is the test. Nothing more.

2-With ac running, the cooling fan runs to continually move air thru the ac condenser coil and radiator. Driving around in local traffic should not result in overheating. With ac running, the cooling fan should blow hard and loud similar to disconnecting the coolant sensor wiring.

The cooling fan runs at one speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote