SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #21
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to all

1997 SL1
Post Re: EGR code 32

I will add my 2 cents Has the fan been checked as to turning at a high rate of speed when it is running? Had the fan fail on my 1995 SL1 turned too slow and the car overheated. Relpaced fan motor and no more overheat

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 75,100 2014>????
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2019, 02:10 AM   #22
OCMan
OCMan is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
Default Re: EGR code 32

Figured I should maybe post this over here, since this thread is directly about the EGR code. I have done as Richpin shows in a video and cut out a portion of aluminum and placed it between the EGR valve and the engine. After doing so I have taken it for a few drives. On all those trips, with the aluminum in place, the car has had substantially more power, and not missed even once.

Does that mean it is just a failed valve and I should replace that, or does that mean something else still may need to be trouble shot? At no point has the ses come on since I have put the aluminum in. Which from what I understand it would normally come on?

Also, so I know, does the egr increase mpg? I am trying to determine, if it is a new egr valve, if I need to get it sooner than later. Minnesota does not do the testing. I do care about the environment though. If that is the fix I will do it, I just may need to wait a little to get the cash for the part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OCMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OCMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:51 AM   #23
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMan View Post
Figured I should maybe post this over here, since this thread is directly about the EGR code. I have done as Richpin shows in a video and cut out a portion of aluminum and placed it between the EGR valve and the engine. After doing so I have taken it for a few drives. On all those trips, with the aluminum in place, the car has had substantially more power, and not missed even once.

Does that mean it is just a failed valve and I should replace that, or does that mean something else still may need to be trouble shot? At no point has the ses come on since I have put the aluminum in. Which from what I understand it would normally come on?

Also, so I know, does the egr increase mpg? I am trying to determine, if it is a new egr valve, if I need to get it sooner than later. Minnesota does not do the testing. I do care about the environment though. If that is the fix I will do it, I just may need to wait a little to get the cash for the part.
It could be just a failed valve, but it could also be other things. If the valve is working properly but there is excess exhaust pressure, then the valve still lets in too much inert exhaust gas and messes with mixture. It might be worth doing an exhaust restriction check by temporarily removing the O2 sensor or disconnecting the exhaust before the catalytic converter. If you use the O2 method, make sure to use a heat shield of some sort to keep the hot exhaust gasses from melting anything.

As for MGP, claims both ways here on the forums. Long term I'd want the EGR in myself, and claims of MPG gains are likely explained by other issues that impacted MPG in my opinion.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #24
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMan View Post

If the engine is running better with the can in place then you need to replace that EGR valve. This can be difficult as many of the aftermarket valves are defective right out of the box. One option is a trip to the pick and pull as that valve is common to the S-Series 95-99. Once you install a new valve the car should run exactly as it does with the can in place. Do not get all excited about no code either, this is common with OBD-1. Replacing a leaking valve usually increases fuel mileage but it may or may not be noticeable, just look for the improved running of the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #25
OCMan
OCMan is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Yeah I was not excited about the no code, I was just wondering if that might have somehow been indicating a different issue with it blocked off. Thanks for the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OCMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OCMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #26
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If the engine is running better with the can in place then you need to replace that EGR valve. This can be difficult as many of the aftermarket valves are defective right out of the box. One option is a trip to the pick and pull as that valve is common to the S-Series 95-99. Once you install a new valve the car should run exactly as it does with the can in place. Do not get all excited about no code either, this is common with OBD-1. Replacing a leaking valve usually increases fuel mileage but it may or may not be noticeable, just look for the improved running of the engine.

Because I was looking for one myself, I found an ACDELCO 21009422 GM Original Equipment EGR available through Rock Auto, although it is less through Amazon, if you prefer to purchase new.

Is that the right part OldNuc?

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote