SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #1
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default I purchased a clone Tech 2, ask me anything.

As posted here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234249

alordofchaos suggested posting this here as well since some poeple don't venture outside of the S-series forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: I purchased a clone Tech 2, ask me anything.

Have you been able to do some of the things that we need a dealer to do, such as turn cruise on, or match Gen 3 RKE fobs to the car?

You're too far for me to travel to, but I could see a few folks paying to add cruise, etc., rather than finding a dealer who has the tools but no experience. (one local dealer quoted $35 for the RKE, another quoted $50)

Thanks

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

How much??? A basic question never covered!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
How much??? A basic question never covered!
In post 1, within the linked thread (post 2) he states $280 shipped from chinacardiags.com. He doesn't state which kit he bought though; there are a couple variations on the site.

Quote:
However, for the $280 shipped I paid for the clone Tech 2, it's worth every penny as an additional scan too

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #5
Kaervak

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
In post 1, within the linked thread (post 2) he states $280 shipped from chinacardiags.com. He doesn't state which kit he bought though; there are a couple variations on the site.
SP23-1 is the kit I bought. That one does not come with a case, however the shipping is free for that one. Harbor Freight has a very nice aluminum case with internal padding for $25 after coupon. Save the money, skip the included case and get the HF one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
Kaervak

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Have you been able to do some of the things that we need a dealer to do, such as turn cruise on, or match Gen 3 RKE fobs to the car?

You're too far for me to travel to, but I could see a few folks paying to add cruise, etc., rather than finding a dealer who has the tools but no experience. (one local dealer quoted $35 for the RKE, another quoted $50)

Thanks
I don't have a third gen to test on unfortunately, but the RKE programming is there in the Tech 2. While testing the ECU programming capability on my 99 (just setting up to flash, but not actually going through with it) I have access to turning on/off cruise, ABS and something else, can't remember what it is off the top of my head though. I can also change tire size options through the Tech 2.

Again, I haven't yet done ECU programming so I still can't comment on how well that works. I'm hoping to do so soon so I can give you guys an update on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #7
Kaervak

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
SP23-1 is the kit I bought. That one does not come with a case, however the shipping is free for that one. Harbor Freight has a very nice aluminum case with internal padding for $25 after coupon. Save the money, skip the included case and get the HF one.

Can't edit, wanted to clarify.

The ones that do come with a case have an $85+ shipping charge. The cases IMO aren't worth the extra cost. Get the SP23-1 and pickup the Harbor Freight case instead. Tech 2 and case for $310 or so and the HF case can hold a laptop with the Tech 2 in it. Everything you need all in one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

I was eyeing up a Tech2 clone about a year ago. They were on ebay for $350 or so. Ultimately, I decided against it as the Tech2 isn't used by GM anymore and I've been able to make due without it for all these years. I wanted bi-directional support for their new cars while still be able to help out grandma that wants a new key fob programed for her Honda. I ended up with an Autel Maxidas and haven't regretted it. It's been able to do everything I need it to on every car. I've read Autel gets numerous cease and desist letters from multiple car manufacturers because of their comprehensive ECU programming features which just makes me like them all the better lol.

With that being said, are there reasons for having a Tech2 if you already have something like an Autel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Kaervak

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
I was eyeing up a Tech2 clone about a year ago. They were on ebay for $350 or so. Ultimately, I decided against it as the Tech2 isn't used by GM anymore and I've been able to make due without it for all these years. I wanted bi-directional support for their new cars while still be able to help out grandma that wants a new key fob programed for her Honda. I ended up with an Autel Maxidas and haven't regretted it. It's been able to do everything I need it to on every car. I've read Autel gets numerous cease and desist letters from multiple car manufacturers because of their comprehensive ECU programming features which just makes me like them all the better lol.

With that being said, are there reasons for having a Tech2 if you already have something like an Autel?
For me getting the Tech 2 was purely a want. I have a DS808 and it does probably 90% of what the Tech 2 can do. I could have just purchased a J2534 interface to add to my DS808 and that would have given me ECU programming for any vehicle I wanted, however the price on a J2534 is nearly triple the clone Tech 2 cost. I'll probably only ever need to program an ECU once, maybe twice so getting a GM specific tool to program wasn't an issue for me.

In my opinion, unless you run a professional shop there is absolutely no need to have a Tech 2 and an Autel. It's absolute overkill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
For me getting the Tech 2 was purely a want. I have a DS808 and it does probably 90% of what the Tech 2 can do. I could have just purchased a J2534 interface to add to my DS808 and that would have given me ECU programming for any vehicle I wanted, however the price on a J2534 is nearly triple the clone Tech 2 cost. I'll probably only ever need to program an ECU once, maybe twice so getting a GM specific tool to program wasn't an issue for me.

In my opinion, unless you run a professional shop there is absolutely no need to have a Tech 2 and an Autel. It's absolute overkill.
Did you use it to add cruise control?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:26 AM   #11
Kaervak

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rock View Post
Did you use it to add cruise control?
Nope, my 99 SL2 has cruise from day one. From what I've read it's pretty straightforward to add it with the Tech 2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!