SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1999 SC2
Default Radio Dimmer Wiring

I have a 97 SC2, and the LCD dimmer back light is not working when the parking/headlights are on. The buttons are being illuminated however, just not the LCD for the time and station. Very hard to read the time at night.

Does anyone know what color of wires and the corresponding wire number that controls the illumination? On the wiring harness, they are numbered 1-20.

Also, if the illumination wires are separate, can I just splice into the other good working wire to get the LCD backlight to work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2
Default Re: Radio Dimmer Wiring

And I did try a different radio and it had the same problem, so I'm pretty sure it's not the radio...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-09-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Attached. Says '89-'90 and newer because it's the same wiring scheme used on every single GM of the 90's (the "missing" slot is for the optional CD changer and mostly unused so it's blank on this one).
The 2 yellow wires are generally different gauge's, the smaller is for the speaker while the larger is for power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1991 - 1999 S-Series Stereo Wire Guide.jpg (136.3 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

>the LCD dimmer back light is not working when the parking/headlights are on. The buttons are being illuminated however,....

I think problem is burnt-out incandescent bulbs (for LCD backlight)
I think the issue becomes widespread after 20+ years, probably because those bulbs are subject to a hotter environment(under LCD, rather than on-board with ventilation surrounding)...

Richpin has video of replacement radio lights for Gen2; following some relevant threads {this a current issue for my 2000, thus my search skewed to Gen3}:
Saturn SL1 Radio and bulbs 1999 http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230579
2001 Saturn S Radio has no back light http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172065
97 SL backlight http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110493

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

I find it odd that another radio I just got from a JY has the same problem.

From looking at the wires on the radio harness (not on the car), the colors do not match up with the wiring diagram provided.

Perhaps that wiring diagram does not apply to a 97? I'm hopping there is another dimmer wire.

On my radio wires, the harness pin out is as follows:
pin 1 - brown
pin 2 - green
pin 3 - gray
pin 4 - blue
pin 5 - blank
pin 6 - yellow
pin 7 - purple
pin 8 - empty
pin 9 - red/orange
pin 10 - orange/yellow
pin 11 to 16 - empty
pin 17 - brown
pin 18 - green
pin 19 - gray
pin 20 - blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The diagram is correct, someone replaced the harness in your car with an aftermarket one using custom colors.

Even when I put a '94 radio in a '97 everything except the dimmer worked as expected, GM changed the polarity of the dimmer between '95 and '96 so "max" became "min" and when I had the '97's dimmer set to min the gauge's and HVAC went dim but the radio went full bright (tried to blame the radio, put it back in the '94...dimmer worked properly).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

This is the stock radio that came with the car. I have never changed it. And I bought the car new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Pins for lighting from the FSM:
6 - Brown - lights on
7 - Dark Green - dimmer

I've used that diagram for everything from a '89 Cutless Supreme to a '01 Silverado 2500HD, including 3 '97 SC's (and 10+ other '93-'97 S-Series).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2019, 10:51 PM   #9
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Quote:
I think problem is burnt-out incandescent bulbs (for LCD backlight)
Yes, the bulbs ended up being the problem. The bulbs were burnt out in both radios. I resoldered in a new bulb, and now both radios work properly.

The wiring diagram was correct too.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!