SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Default slight misfire after starting, then better, but SES

A week ago i checked/cleaned the plugs (sounded a little rough after startup).
After my 1-1/2 hour service touch, there was no improvement, and soon a SES appeared (and no codereader at hand... there's an autozone literally within 1600 feet of my residence).

I spent 7 hours yesterday doing some basic checks. At the outset my preconception was that the IgControlModule ICM, plug wires were where the issue lurked.

I DID see a piece of carbon on a plug that Might have been causal, and i did discover some matted dirt on a couple of coilpack Towers, else , yet no smoking gun.
[If not resolved, I've resolved to try a new aftermarket TPS, because thrice last winter, each when ambient temps were below 17*F, the car exhibited behavior which several forum threads suggest is due to TPS deterioration: When stopping, the idle tended to remain elevated, about 2000rpm, and did not respond to manual retraction of the throttle to the stop screw.]

Here's what i saw... I'll review any comments:
Belden 7mm plug wires dated 2010- all ohmed out between 5.7 & 6.8 kOhm.
Plugs (NGK, <6000kMi) all ohmed out range OPEN
Fuel Injectors three 12.9-13.1 ohms, fourth 13.0-13.2ohms; all connector fingers seemed fully closed when at rest.
Spark coils /secondary 8.3-8.5 kOhm across Towers.
The ICM did not look filthy or guilty... so i declined to replace it with spares on hand (though that's a possibility going forward).
Since the ignition seemed possibly Innocent (confounding initial expectations), i tried to replace the TPS with aftermarket items on hand...
only to discover that MY 2000 design changes obsoleted my '97 stock!
Sooooo the overbearing Fear was stingy fuel injector burning exhaust valve, which has begun to Stick when engine Cold.
I steadfastly applied my (1970s Craftsman issue) gasser Compression tester,
30 hours after last driven; last 1-1/2 fuel tanks received a container of Techron additive: Test done dry at ambient temp 76*F--
All cylinders, after four crank-strokes read 210 psi...
rising to 215 at 5th stroke !!! Gasp/cough RELIEF
(maybe it was worth $2000)
.................................................. ........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: slight misfire after starting, then better, but SES

Most likely cause is plugs and wires followed by a failing ICM. The 00-02 ICM is not a long lived device so replace with a 96-99 vintage. Slight misfire and roughness are the first signs of a failing ICM and 9 year old common plug wires is long enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Thank you, OldNuc !

Valuable advice-and convenient:
Two items i scavenged from my 97-
(1) tensioner
(2) ICM, with Magnecor 8mm wireset

Recovered both from storage last weekend, and put into car with plan to install in engine compartment...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That would be my first approach.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote