SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Mr. Badwrench Award

Here's where you can give recognition to schmucks who own a Crescent wrench, a claw hammer - and call themselves "mechanics"..

I got 92 SC2 for the engine. I noted an excess of Permatex on the valve cover and timing cover. I have the time - and the engine leaked oil - and the engine is on a rotatable engine stand - so I decided to pull things apart and inspect inside.

Valve cover off - first thing I notice - GLOBS of Permatex inside. No gaskets were killed in the building of this mess. Second thing - the formed end of the vacuum line for the EGR actuator was INSIDE the engine - with a piece of the line clamped in between the cover and the head. Wow.....

Timing cover off --- a solid glob - about 1/4 inch thick all the way around the mating surfaces -- INCLUDING the oil passages from the cover to the block - effectively restricting the oil flow by about half....

He bent the oil pan getting it off - so his solution? MORE Permatex of course.

I think I had better fully disassemble this engine and see what other mayhem this genius inflicted on this innocent twin cam....

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Mr. Badwrench Award

Check oil pump pickup for permatex.

https://www.infowars.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #3
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaturn View Post
Check oil pump pickup for permatex.
Yup. Dismantled pump too. So far so good.

Tomorrow I will pull off the splash shield and pull the mains and rod caps and inspect.

I dissected the filter - and no weird stuff inside.

Was a few globs of Permatex in the pan.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

My ex-wife noticed steam coming from under the hood of our late, not-lamented-at-all '99 Plymouth Neon, so she added oil.

Five litres of oil.

In a 2-litre engine already full of oil.

Through the dipstick hole.

For actual mechanical work though, I once test dove a Daewoo Lanos wagon on sale for $3800. The car only had apparently only had about 60,000 km (35,000 miles) yet had a engine replacement.

Opening the hood, you could see the pool of coolant resting on top of the exhaust manifold. I asked if they were flexible on the price. They said no, they had to recoup the cost of the engine swap. I passed on that, and found an ad for a 1999 Saturn SL1 with 170,000 km (110,000 miles) not too long after...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote