SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Trinity5
Trinity5 is on a distinguished road

Default Low RPM, moves slowly to get up to speed. Cat??

1997 Saturn SW2. Car was running like a champ, then the other day I was driving highway speed of 70mph and saw all my gauges go to the left and then they would come back and then back down. I have figured out that I need to replace the alternator. That being said....... the car also started to struggle to get up to speed from a stop and lower speeds. It was almost like the car was staying in low gear. I pulled over and the car wouldn't start at all.

AAA towed me home Before they did they used the battery charge unit and the car started right up but showed very low charge on the unit. (reason I bought a new Alt.)

I was thinking it could be a clogged cat. Any thoughts ??

This car has over 250K miles on it and last year I did replace the muffler from the Cat back because it was totally rusted.

I was thinking of going old school on it and removing the innards of the cat until I can get a replacement. I already passed inspection.

Thank You

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Trinity5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Trinity5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Trinity5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Low RPM, moves slowly to get up to speed. Cat??

The automatic can't work as intended if the alternator, battery and battery cables are not in proper working order. Get those working properly, do another test drive and then maybe worry about the exhaust.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
Trinity5

Thank you. My plan is to change the alternator out and see what the outcome is. I pray that it fixes my issue. I'm hoping to have ti changed out by next weekend. I will post results.

Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Trinity5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
Trinity5

Changed out the alternator today and Saturn is back running like a champ.

Thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!