SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
Ricketts
Ricketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really nice

2000 SC1
Default New brakes squeal

Hi guys - believe it or not, I did my front brakes for the first time ever. I mean I have had my brakes done before, but this is the first time I tackled it myself. I bought this kit:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both new rotors and pads. with new metal shims. Watched Richpin's brake video (another thanks to Richpin!) and installation went smoothly. Cleaned the pins, the thinner lower ones had a little rust that I cleaned off. The little boots look OK I think. Added sil-glyde to lubricate the pins and also applied it around the piston and back of the caliper where Richpin indicated. Torqued to 81ft/lbs (18mm bolts) and 27ft/lbs (14mm caliper bolts)

They work great, no pulsing, except I now have a speed dependent squeak coming from the drivers side. It's not the noise a wear indicator makes, it's an actual squeak-squeak-squeak sound. It was not there before, and stops squeaking as soon as I apply the brakes. If I turn a broad left corner it goes away, if I turn a broad right corner it gets worse. I assume something vibrating around the shims or pads, which stops as soon as pressure is applied, but any first ideas on what it could be? My significant other is using it for the next couple of days so I won't be able to pop the tire off to see for a bit, but want to be ready for it when I get it in the air.

Also, moving my jack around I banged the drivers side mirror pretty good. I didn't break the glass, but now the mirror vibrates much more than before. The adjustment cable still works, but is there a way to pop the mirror off to see if anything behind the glass is loose, or is it a complete sealed unit? I don't want to risk breaking the glass if It's not removable.

Thanks!

2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ricketts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ricketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: New brakes squeal

I had a similar problem and it was the shims themselves. They travel side to side. I changed the shims to a different brand and it went away. Adjusting them did not work in my case.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
Jax_1995_SL1
Jax_1995_SL1 will become famous soon enoughJax_1995_SL1 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Trottida beat me to it. Itís very common for aftermarket shims to not fit (or be sized/shaped) precisely like the OEM ones. Iíve personally encountered some that were noticeably wider and not bent in the same places to fit the same way into the calipers. You might fix the issue from swapping them out. Some shops will very carefully bench grind or rotary tool them to fit within spec, but absolutely not recommended to modify if youíre not familiar.

1995 Saturn SL1 ē SOHC ē 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jax_1995_SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jax_1995_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jax_1995_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
Ricketts
Ricketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really nice

2000 SC1

Thanks guys - when I get the car back I'll pull off the drivers side wheel and see if I can pinpoint it, but the shims make sense. Hopefully it will still make noise when I lift and unload the front end.

Would some dabs of silicone between the back of the shims and the caliper assembly help? Obviously not putting any on the brake pad faces or anything.

Secondly, would it possibly go away as they bed in with use, or once a bit of rust fills the gaps between the shims and the mounting points? Don't want to look lazy, but might wait a bit to see if it does go away on its own

2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ricketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I rode it out for quite a while and the noise didn't go away. The shims actually slide over and touch the rotor while it's rotating. We tried to bend them a bit to keep them from sliding but it didn't work.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

I have the same problem. It brakes ok but is noisy on turns. The sheet metal hardware doesn't fit the old caliper properly. I put up with it for a while and it hasn't improved any. So, I ordered a re-manufactured caliper with the hardware included. I'll see if that works. I possibly could clean up the caliper and fix it but my driver's side caliper is original (23 years old) and I really don't have time to fool with it.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #7
Ricketts

2000 SC1

Crap. Maybe I'll put the old rusted ones back on. Car up on jackstands tonight, it's definitely the driver's side doing it. I bent the side tabs in tighter to the side of the caliper so we'll see if that helps.

On a side note, I found why my driver's side mirror was vibrating more after taking the hit from the jack handle - the bottom plastic tab holding the mirror into the housing broke clean off. I tried a couple of different solvent glues, but couldn't find anything that held. I ended up drilling a tiny hole up from underneath the mirror housing right into the tab and screwed a small black screw through to hold it tight. Can't see the screw from underneath until you're right up near it.

2000 SC1 - Bone Stock

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #8
Ricketts

2000 SC1

Just to finish up this thread - I finally found some time to check it over...I ended up taking both sides apart, used a dremel to clean the rust off under where the shims snap in, added some disc brake anti squeak and remounted the shims. I did notice that one shim, when pressed in fully, rubbed against a portion of the caliper mount. I used tin snips and trimmed off a very thin piece to stop it from rubbing. Re-lubed the pins again too.

Squeal is gone. Of course I don't know if it was the anti squeak compound, or the shim rubbing, or a little bit of both, but the noise is gone.

2000 SC1 - Bone Stock

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #9
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

persistence and ingenuity. Glad your issues are resolved.

1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote