SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 10:14 PM   #1
THX712517

Default Need your info on '95 SC2s

Hello all owners. I'm considering buying a '95 SC2 (surprise surprise) since it's not only a Saturn, but good looking, fairly well performing, and most importantly, I can afford it and have money left over for modifications. No Ion for me, unless my book gets published. Oh well. Anyhoo, I started up this new thread because I'm looking for owner feedback on the '95 SC, both 1 & 2. Good and bad information. I'm looking for a relatively low-mileage manual transmission SC2, and I wanna know if there are any major problems I should be aware of, any feedback you can provide.

After all that, any suggestions for modifications? I'm thinking a cool air intake, exhaust, flywheel, and maybe custom pistons. Maybe, not definite.

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2002, 11:41 PM   #2
94sc293sl1
Advanced Member
94sc293sl1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default Well, I have a '94 SC2

Except for the interior and bumpers, pretty much the exact same car. Watch out for oil burning and dying alternators, since they seem to be fairly common problems. In 1995 Saturn went to the new interior. It seems a lot of people prefer it, but I much prefer the old interior, especially because of the funky pattern splotches in the '95 SC2.
Oh, and another thing: starting in 1995 the SOHC engine had 100 hp (as opposed to 85 hp from 1991-'94).
If there's a particular modification you're looking at, I'd say do a forum search of that part (i.e. intake) and look at past discussions.
Good luck in your search!

Craig
Saturn owner no longer as of 12/21/05, sold my SC2.
www.insidetrackmagazine.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc293sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc293sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2002, 12:25 AM   #3
THX712517

Cool, thanks. I think this is the millionth time I wished a used car would depreciate a ton, haha. Bad for the previous owner, but woulda been good for me. I've been looking at the SPS page, remembering not to drool, and it seems like there's plenty available for an SC2, 1995 or otherwise. Now all I have to do is find a relatively clean one. Finding one isn't gonna be hard, just finding one in good shape will be. I think this is the first time I've ever been thankful for moving to where I am today, there's almost zero chance for road salt induced rust.

Speaking of alternators, I saw one on the SPS site.... My policy from now on is if I have to replace a part on any car that I'll ever own, I'll go for the performance version of said part. http://www.spswebpage.com/products/engine.html Nice alternator, huh?

Alright, I'm off. Thanks for the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 10-08-2002, 02:24 AM   #4
95_SC2_Guy
95_SC2_Guy is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Guess what? I have a 95 SC2, but you can't have mine -
I have 59,000 miles on mine which was made in late 94, and it runs better now then it did back then. I have taken very good care of it, and have torn apart a lot of stuff to clean it. I have a cold-air intake on it now, and it wasn't very hard to do. And it sounds great. Next on my list is to lower it 2 inches and get an exhaust. The handling is excellent with this car. I drive it around the raceway which is the Phoenix highway system.

Call me crazy, but I think this car can easily make it to 20+ years. I have had to use some rust-stopping spray paint on a few of the metal pieces after sanding them. But, usless you are working on the car, you wouldn't notice them. If you look behind the fuse panel door on the passenger side, you should see a vertical beam that could have rust on it. It isn't going to fall apart or anything, but I'm a perfectionist and while I had the stereo out I painted the metal.

I get 34.5-35 mpg with about 80-85% at highway speeds (without using the AC), it is around 29-30 with it. And 94sc293sl1 was right about the interior pattern. With some colors it looks good, but it was a little out there for me, so I am in the process of covering it up with a solid grey design. I attached a picture of the first seat I did a few weeks ago. The speedometer gauges are better in the 95, at least I think so. One of my next projects is putting on grey faces for the speedometer and tach.

And you should check to see when the fuel filter and the other filters were changed last. I saw a big differerence when I changed the fuel filter. The one issue myself and some other people are having is that the engine loses oil. Mine loses about 1 quart every 1000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat project.jpg (55.7 KB, 41 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95_SC2_Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95_SC2_Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2002, 09:28 AM   #5
THX712517

Nice picture. As for the oil issue, I used to drive a '95 SL1, so I have a little experience with burning oil. Just wondering if the same problem was in the SC2, with the DOHC engine. Thank you all for the quick and helpful replies. I'm meeting with a friend tonight who's dad goes scouting around, buying up cars to sell to used car dealerships. As long as I don't get hung up on the exterior, I can get a mechanically sound car dirt, dirt cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2002, 09:41 AM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Happy Re: Need your info on '95 SC2s

Quote:
Originally posted by THX712517
Hello all owners. I'm considering buying a '95 SC2 (surprise surprise) since it's not only a Saturn, but good looking, fairly well performing, and most importantly, I can afford it and have money left over for modifications. No Ion for me, unless my book gets published. Oh well. Anyhoo, I started up this new thread because I'm looking for owner feedback on the '95 SC, both 1 & 2. Good and bad information. I'm looking for a relatively low-mileage manual transmission SC2, and I wanna know if there are any major problems I should be aware of, any feedback you can provide.

After all that, any suggestions for modifications? I'm thinking a cool air intake, exhaust, flywheel, and maybe custom pistons. Maybe, not definite.

Thanks in advance.
definately get an SC2 manual. more power, better tires, nicer wheels, better suspension, better looking, nicer seats,... oh and 95 are pre obd-ii so you don't have to worry about the rear heated o2 sensor when you do certain mods. the only major issue with the 1.9l is oil consumption but that can be fixed with valve guides and/or piston rings. for mods, a cool air induction system and cat-back exhuast together will make the most noted improvement when it comes to easy bolt-ons.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:07 AM   #7
radioouman
radioouman is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I agree with everyone else here! 95 is a special year for Saturns, because you get the second generation interior, the upgraded (small) engine, and you can still read the computer codes without a scanner. Oil burning is a consideration, but you might have luck reducing it by going with a Saturn factory PCV valve. (believe it or not!)

Go for it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to radioouman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help radioouman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2002, 11:42 AM   #8
THX712517

What brakes are on these cars? Disc/drum, disc/disc? Do the rotors suffer from warping? If they do, I'm assuming that upgrading to performance rotors would solve the warping problem, just cost me a little bit more short-term. Has anyone here gotten the 21 horsepower package from SPS? I was looking at that, and it seems like it would be a good deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2002, 05:28 PM   #9
LI 350
Advanced Member
LI 350 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

the brakes are disk/disk, they changed to drums in back after 97 I think

yes, the rotors warp (fronts usually),

& don't get the 21hp package, the wires/plugs are a ripoff...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LI 350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LI 350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:06 PM   #10
THX712517

Alright, I'll make a mental note. I'm assuming, though, that a cat-back exhaust, cold air intake, lightweight flywheel, and a short shifter would be good though, right? Any advice on the handling packages they have? I'm definitely installing a strut tower brace in every car I own, but as for shocks and springs, I don't know.

Earlier today I drove a 2003 Saturn Ion 3, black exterior with tan leather interior, automatic. It's a nice car, the steering is light, the car goes where you point it, it handles well and it's way too easy to get to 70 MPH. After that, I drove a 2001 Saturn SC2, black exterior, gray leather interior, manual transmission. Oh. My. Gosh. Part of the excitement was because the saleswoman wasn't in the car at the time, haha. She said I had driven well with the Ion and that if I wanted to, I could go by myself. I did, and oh man did I have a good time. Maybe it's just the feel, or the familiarity I have with the controls, but it felt like the SC2 I was driving was far faster than the 2001 Toyota Celica GT manual. Man, that little black car hauled. The first time I've ever driven a 1.9 DOHC, and it was very nice. If I went with a '95, which I could afford, I could add tons of mods to it. But if I went with the '01, which I would just barely be able to afford, I'd have that little mean machine. And maybe some money for an intake.

Decisions, decisions. Well, the longer I take to decide, the more money I have available, so that's a good thing. Just have to make it pile up quicker, haha.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2002, 06:06 AM   #11
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

In '95, 4-wheel disc brakes were only available on ABS-equipped SL2 and SC2s.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2002, 11:01 AM   #12
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

Quote:
Alright, I'll make a mental note. I'm assuming, though, that a cat-back exhaust, cold air intake, lightweight flywheel, and a short shifter would be good though, right?
Light Flywheels wont make power they just change the characteristics of how the engine responds. Because of the lighter mass it will be more difficult to overcome the Moment Of Inertia and if it's a daily driven car stop and go traffic will toast a clutch faster from the higher rpm launch and clutch slip needed to just get the car rolling. It's not worth the price. You can get N02 for the same and have a much better $$ to Performance ratio.

$:P it's not some crazy smiley thing...

Brakes all warp weather they are cross-drilled or pixy-dust coated. I have found that short of a $1200 complete brake upgrade just purchasing AutoZone rotors every time I do a brake job is the best answer. At 18.00 each for rotors it's not worth my time to get my $99.00 rotors resurfaced (if they even can be) after they warp from the same conditions that warped the OEM rotors.

-Adam Chant
2007 Saturn SKY - Supercharged
1997 Saturn SC2 - Stock Rebuild

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCDYNE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2002, 03:13 PM   #13
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
What brakes are on these cars? Disc/drum, disc/disc? Do the rotors suffer from warping? If they do, I'm assuming that upgrading to performance rotors would solve the warping problem, just cost me a little bit more short-term. Has anyone here gotten the 21 horsepower package from SPS? I was looking at that, and it seems like it would be a good deal.
disc/drum on non-abs. disc/disc with abs. warping depending on your driving and lug nut wheel torquing habits. i have similar to the sps 21 package parts on my sc2. great deal and the stuff works!

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread