SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #21
SIRPAULGERMAN
SIRPAULGERMAN is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Surge tank is problematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
What is the best thermostat ?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...375028&jsn=490

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SIRPAULGERMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SIRPAULGERMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SIRPAULGERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #22
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

I'd get the Stant thermostat. It's the same temp as the OE thermostat.

It's time to play....guess that rattle!
1997 SL2, 111K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #23
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your choice as linked or just a Stant 14279 thermostat. Thermostat housings are reusable. Be sure the correct coolant sensor is brass and not the plastic one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #24
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

Also, inspect the two-wire harness for the ETCS for exposed wire, loose fit or broken tabs. That could lead to a false temp reading.

Someone chime in because I cant remember which way it is. Not cooling problem but no heat is a possible block in heater core, blocked inlet or outlet on line to heater core or a collapsed hose equals no heat? Or is it high cooling temp no heat equals those things?

I remember flushing a truck my dad bought. He had no heat, new sensor new T-stat so figured had to be a block or bad core. Could not believe the amount of crap that came out of there. Cheap fix for once.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No heat and blowing water out of the reservoir is usually caused by a complete blockage of the small hose from the head high point back to the top of the reservoir.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:46 PM   #26
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I remember my thermostat was stuck open, and it said 1/4 on my first gen, when I would sit it got closer to a half, and when I drive it went below 1/4. My windshield was foggy as it was in the fall, and I needed to use the heat. When I would use the heat, my temp gauge would fall, and it was blowing lukewarm air. When I'd sit at the light, my temp gauge would rise, and I would get heat again. It was a long 20 miles of stopping and going every two miles.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #27
SIRPAULGERMAN

2002 SL2
2001 SL1

I just an update in for my car,
Today was really cold, the water in the coolant reservoir was frozen ( I know my fault ) so the water pump was making noises, also the car was overheating but not heat from the heater, just super cold air. I assume the thermostat is stuck close ?

I

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SIRPAULGERMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #28
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

With the Coolant Tank full of frozen water now, I would suggest not running the engine.

You run the risk of doing major damage to the engine with this scenario.

You will probably have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit before doing anything else.

Water Pump, T-Stat, ECTS, Radiator.

With the current situation, all of these have been compromised now, along with the Coolant Tank.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #29
SIRPAULGERMAN

2002 SL2
2001 SL1

I had the similar problem a few weeks ago, when it was not that cold, engine ruining in more than a normal temperature and no heat from the heater

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #30
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRPAULGERMAN View Post
I had the similar problem a few weeks ago, when it was not that cold, engine ruining in more than a normal temperature and no heat from the heater
You need to figure out how to get some of that water out of your system. You should be running a full on Antifreeze, with no dilution- especially at this point. If you aren't getting any heat, then the Thermostat is most likely stuck shut; and you may have a clogged line in your Heater Core as well/Or the Heater Core may be bad...

But given the situation; I'm leaning towards a faulty Thermostat. But definitely check the other parts in your coolant system as well.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #31
SIRPAULGERMAN

2002 SL2
2001 SL1

Well all done, new gates thermostat, new stan coolant sensor.

Took the car for a 75 miles drive, the needle is between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark, when the car is in a complete stop the needle goes up but is does not reach the 1/2 mark. I guess is working fine, also I get heat from the vents

REWARD EXCELLENCE!