SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-26-2022, 07:49 PM   #1
Altong3
Altong3 is on a distinguished road

Default 96 SL1 wet passenger floor

I have a 1996 Saturn SL1 but that is garage kept and the floor on the passenger side is getting wet. I believe itís just water as it doesnít smell or have any kind of oily or greasy feeling. I will drive it and see nothing but park it overnight and come back to a very wet floor. I donít mean standing water but soaked flooring. Seems obvious to me itís not due to the rain but out of desperation I took a water hose to the hood and windows to no avail, no sunroof. I stuck a screw and even a length of wire inside the drain for the ac, or I hope it was (a rubber hose that was lightly dripping water behind the engine near the bottom of the fire wall). When I did this I saw nothing and felt nothing. Iím at a loss and any direction would be helpful.
Altong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2022, 10:33 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 96 SL1 wet passenger floor

Have you been checking the engine coolant level? Try driving it a few times without using the A/C, that will eliminate the "condensation" scenario.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
dtuuri
dtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of light

1991 SC
Default Re: 96 SL1 wet passenger floor

I had a problem there, too, in my '91 SC. My firewall flapper valves (cowl drains) were plugged with leaves and maple seeds. My car didn't have any foam and wire filters in the cabin vent holes under the hood. I pulled the flappers open with mechanical fingers while I scratched out the debris with a long screwdriver. Then, I made a couple fast trips around the block with all turns to the right, so centrifugal force would sling the remaining standing water toward the flapper drains. Then I removed the wiper motor because it would start operating without my permission (son of a gun). Before I put the new one in I reached into the cowl area and cleaned the residual muck out of there. I'm thinking the water ruined the old wiper motor. Since then, I park level, not tilted toward the passenger side and my carpet has not got wet anymore. In the cowl, btw, I could see a stand-pipe leading to the HVAC system for cabin air to enter. My guess is either the foot of that stand-pipe is leaking or the water level got high enough to flow over the top of it. It's right over the passenger's feet.
dtuuri is offline   Reply With Quote