SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
sedativechunk
sedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura about

Default SL2 oil in coolant problem!

Hey everyone,
I got a serious problem with my 98 SL2 that is really warranting me at this point, to junk the car. Yesterday I notice the car was overheating and the fan was kicking on a lot.

I look the coolant reservoir; no coolant. I decide to poor tap water in and run the engine to look for a leak. My reservoir then fills up with what looks like motor oil! It is black and thick, like motor oil, not transmission oil (red).

I replaced the head gasket over a year ago and haven't had any oil loss issues. Upon doing some research, I heard that the next probable thing is the intake manifold gasket. Does anyone think it could be this problem before I take the entire thing apart? It's a lot of work...

I don't know what else could possibly be causing this problem. There is not coolant in with the oil or on the dipstick; the oil is getting into the reservoir somehow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sedativechunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sedativechunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sedativechunk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: SL2 oil in coolant problem!

Have you needed to add oil recently?
Is the oil dipstick low?
Have you needed to add coolant on a recent basis?
Get some of that black stuff wiped on a paper towel and see just what it is.

If you answer NO, then maybe someone has used some coolant additives and the overheating is due to some blockage gunk stuff (now showing itself in your reservoir) and/or you are losing it somewhere else other than the engine gaskets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:17 AM   #3
sedativechunk
sedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the response. I think I got the issue under control, this Saturn may live on. I know I did it once before a year or two ago, but I decided to replace the valve cover gasket again. Last time my dad helped (because I broke a bolt doing it the first time and had to have him tap new threads into the block...), and I put Permatex sealer on the whole block before putting the gasket on itself. I think that may have caused an issue. I think, over time, that creates potential problems with a nice seal, and may allow leaks into the spark plug wells.

The valve cover gasket seemed like the most logical and stupid thing that could be causing the issue. It's been messed with twice before; it's known to have leaked oil in the past. Furthermore, my Saturn has the steel intake manifold to start pointing fingers at that, not the plastic one that I have seen some people have to take a hacksaw to... so I didn't think it was that. And everything else, there were no signs of something like a water pump leak or anything. I also went on the assumption that a crack in the head somewhere was unlikely. I just don't see how that would happen that easily, although I know some Saturns have suffered it.

This time, I did the job all myself with the gasket; put the new gaskets on very carefully, cleaned the hell out of the head with steel wool and the cover, didn't use any permatext this time. Upon cleaning/looking at it, it looked like some coolant may have been with the oil as well. Hand-tightened the bots (I think I got the feel for this stuff now and cheap, crappy torque wrenches were the blame for breaking bolts las time). No leaks, no overheating. And no oil in coolant. I drained, then did two flushes of the coolant system. No more oil so far after a couple small trips. Furthermore there's no signs of coolant leaking now.

As for the coolant in the past; yes, I (stupidly) put BarsLeaks (or as some call it, BarsHeats) in it. A number of years ago, this car was leaking coolant out of the upper radiator hose at the time. I didn't have the mechanical mind I have now to check something so trivial and stupid. I put that crap in there taking the lazy-mans method to fix it. At the time, I thought was the radiator leaking.

That being said; the bar's leak left some residue, but what I seen in the coolant reservoir definitely looked like oil. It didn't look like the bars leaks stuff, which was really just metallically particles. It's been thoroughly flushed twice, so most of the bars crap and the oil is now out of it. I put cheap green coolant in, I can't stand DexCool, I've seen it eat through o-rings on my mom's Impala.

Now my next problem; the car is vibrating bad after an alignment, two of the tires are shot. I'm probably gonna grab a whole new set of cheap tires at Wal-Mart or something and see how it rides then. But that is a separate issue. The coolant issue is under control; the car is even running better and fired right up. Anyway, yeah, I hope that helps if someone runs into this issue in the future as I did. Check the valve cover gasket first; look for signs of oil leakage around the engine. Or residue on the oil cap. Even if you did the job before, them things can be tricky. Under or over tightened and they have problems. Just snug, by hand. No more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sedativechunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sedativechunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sedativechunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
M_Metzger1114
M_Metzger1114 has a spectacular aura aboutM_Metzger1114 has a spectacular aura about

1994 SW2
1997 SW2

There's no way a valve cover leaking could introduce oil into the coolant. It would just get oil all over the outside of your engine or in your spark plug wells. I don't think you have quite solved this one yet. Unless what was in your reservoir was just the bars leak, you have another problem.

1996 SC2 Manual
1993 SC2 Manual
1997 SW1.5? DOHC with MP2 trans 210k
1998 SW1 Auto
1997 SL1 auto parts car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M_Metzger1114's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M_Metzger1114 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M_Metzger1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Intake manifolds on 1991-1999 DOHC are cast aluminum, and as Metzger stated, the valve cover gasket will NOT ever cause coolant and oil to mix.

There are only THREE things that ever cause coolant and oil to mix4 if your water pump is geared to the timing chain like the 2.2L Scrap-O-Tec boat anchor):

Cracked Cylinder Head
Cracked Engine Block
Blown Head Gasket

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote