SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
jr1
jr1 is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
Default De Lorean............? Hmmmm......

Well, I might as well be the guiniepig and kick this off..............

Guess y'all have heard about the supposed DeLorean interest in acquiring the Kapppa. Ya probably seen the "artist rendering" - though why DeLorean of all outfits would use the plain old Soltice instead of the edgier SKY is a mystery - other than the (disgraced, but to be fair to the man, sadly deceased) JD's historical affinity for the Pontiac brand.

It's not the Delorean of old (probably a good thing on balance). The bankrupt remnants of what was were eventually privately purchase by none other than Steve Wynne a couple of years ago. The (tiny) company operates out of Houston now as far as I can tell and makes a living of sorts out of cult value (nothing wrong with that). They kluge together a few "new" cars from a mixture of old and new parts, do restorations, sell new and used parts etc. Frankly it was (and still is) an underpowered, disappointing, overpriced novelty. Sure it has it's enthusiasts and it's a collector item, that's fine, but a good car it never was.

This would be a huge stretch. All they would bring to the table would be a brand name (albeit with questionable value, but reasonable name recognition.) It would require massive funding to stand up a completely new auto company and dealer network.

I think it's just an attention getter and basically a joke, unfortunately.

Sure would be the best cars they ever sold by a long, long. looooooong way though!!!

Ah, just daydreamin' - if it really could be done and they only did the turbo's, threw in a performance tune, Hahn intercooler, some new pipes, Fujita CAI, Hahn BOV, Hiflow CAT, big bore throttle body, frame stiffeners - all the stuff they can just buy and bolt on - even a few lighting pretties - it would sure make an awesome off the showroom floor roadster!!!! (Oh, and of course, being DL, they would HAVE to do the vertical door kit ;-) Then if they could just keep the price down............. poof! there went the daydream!!! They would have to sell tons of them just to cover the upfront investment.

Hmmmmmm...... it probably wasn't really worth commenting on was it?

Ooops, just noticed my sig. Been a 2008 Silver Pearl RedLine Sky for 2 years - I'll go edit my profile............ could have sworn I had done that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jr1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jr1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: De Lorean............? Hmmmm......

I just saw the article on Autoblog, was going to post something in the general section...apparently DeLorean (which is operating out of Texas currently) and has been rumoured to have been building a new car for a few years now, is interested in buying the Wilmington Plant from GM and turning it into production of a new DMC Roadster.

It seems like a possibility; as DeLorean has the resources, and the plant would suffice, considering it's been a GM plant since it opened some odd 50 years ago...

Here's the article with artist renderings...apparently DeLorean is pretty into it; as they actually PURCHASED a Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe to study the design, etc.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/07/r...g-pontiac-s%2F

Interesting, as DeLorean is interested in being able to put the Wilmington work force back to work. The rendering doesn't look too bad, but IF this become a reality, I wouldn't want to see Gull-Wing Doors.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
jr1
jr1 is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line

"DeLoeran" has virtually nothing - essentially a new and used parts and restoration shop. About 6,500 of the original 9,000 Deloreans are reputed to be still "alive" to some degree or other. A nice little niche market for someone to service - where else ya gonna go? While there has been a lot of hype and mystique to the car, it was only really built for about 2 years. The few new ones after that were existing production with VIN numbers updated to the year they were released - a bit fishy, but apparently legal. Frankly, though it has emotional attachments for some folk, it was in fact a disappointing and poorly performing car. The only really outstanding features were the brushed stainless steel (non-structural) body panels and the fancy doors. It was actually quite unremarkable as cars go - even then. If it had not been for the Back To The future movie and Mr. DeLorean's major drug smuggling problems that gave it a boost, it probably would have died gracefully. Unfortunately celebrities rarely go out gracefully............. (And yes he was acquitted on a technicality, but they was no doubt at all he was involved and would have gone through with it if he could - let the poor guy rest in piece now.)

The current DeLorean Motor Company has little to nothing to do with the original DeLorean. That operation when banko years ago. There were several failed "reincarnations" of sorts. None of them had a prayer in terms of restarting production or desiging a new car. Steve Wynne bought up the remaining stock of parts, etc. and started the NEW company in Houston. It's very small and basically just sells used recycled part and some new parts, does restorations, etc. Any "new" ones they make are pieced together from collections of new and recycled parts, ergo they are not technically "new" vehicles. They cater to the collectors and enthusiasts - and good for them. They can't build a truely new car without significant investment. It would have to comply with today's regulations. Mr. Wynne is not that stupid with his money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jr1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jr1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
MacTech
MacTech is on a distinguished road

Well, as long as the new car has the Flux Capacitor and Mr. Fusion Home Energy System as standard equipment, I wouldn't mind, heck, I think a HoverConversion would be fun too, just make sure the top speed isn't capped at 88 MPH...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MacTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MacTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

IIRC the DMC 12 wasn't that good. It leaked water around the door seals, for one thing. The door weighed a zillion pounds. They were slow. Good luck getting parts with the foreign engine.
But the idea was good. I think the chassis was composite and supposed to be recyclable. The SS body panels lasted forever.
Yeah you could give me one

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Rj.ION
Rj.ION is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I'd take one if it was ready to be sold at Barrett-Jackson ..... other wise don't leave it near my house.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj.ION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj.ION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj.ION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
MMarlin
MMarlin is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

The image kind of reminds me of a my husbands 05 Nissan 350Z.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MMarlin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MMarlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote