SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
Jukebox1985
Jukebox1985 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default 2002 Engine swap #8 to#7 Auto tranys to manual

I adopted a 2002 3door. My daughter had it then my son(No oil). The engine still runs, but not well. I found another 3door. It had the #7 DOHC with a standard Tranny. I like a Standard. How much of a pain would this swap be. Mind you I was getting the Whole other car. Or Use parts off my blue to fix the red. Or keep looking for a SOHC?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jukebox1985's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jukebox1985 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jukebox1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 2002 Engine swap #8 to#7 Auto tranys to manual

Welcome to the forums, all the answers are here, somewhere

You're not getting a lot of responses, probably because people are confused by your question.

First you start talking about VIN numbers, then switch to car colors (and keep in mind, nobody knows which color each car is). So . . . tell me if I have this right.

you currently have a blue 2002 SC1, automatic trans?

You plan on buying a red SC2 (what year? could be important) with a DOHC and manual trans. You want to put these into your SC1

This is a good starting point, the Engine section covers motor swap, the transaxle covers the trans swap
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/index.html

Once we know more about the years involved, we can tell you what parts don't apply and what parts are not mentioned (because the article is for an earlier generation)

Quote:
Or Use parts off my blue to fix the red
depends, what is wrong with the red SC2?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
Default Re: 2002 Engine swap #8 to#7 Auto tranys to manual

To perform the swap from your SOHC SC1, with the DOHC/5-Speed will be a little bit tricky.

The engine, wiring, transmission, subframe, and even the entire front suspension can be dropped out the bottom of the SC2 model and swap into the SC1 as a direct bolt-up. There will be minor differences, such as hose routing for the cooling system and AIR injection pump.

So, you will want to be careful and mindful to NOT cut hoses or wires when performing this.

The HARD part will be the PCM, BCM, and Ignition Switch.

The PCM for manual MUST swap with the engine, to run the engine without issues.(Auto PMCs cause the "Service Engine Soon" light to illuminate for transmission DTCs & other drivability issues when used with a manual transmission)

The BCM is coded to the ignition switch and the PCM for the car's security system. So, the BCM and PCM will need to be reprogrammed by a GM dealership, once the swap is completed.

It may be possible to swap the steering column, BCM, and PCM from the DOHC car, but I have not done this myself and I am not familiar with anyone who has. The trick with Passlock is keeping all the components that are mated to each other, together, so the security system doesn't activate when you try to start the car.

The Passlock-II system uses a coded key, which sends from the ignition switch to your BCM, once the BCM verifies the codes match, it sends a signal to the PCM for injector operation.

www.car-part.com may be used to source used parts, as well as a used engine for the SC1 and you would then have two running, drivable Saturn models, as well.

You have a lot of available options you can go with this project.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote