SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
wizerdwolf
wizerdwolf is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default Headlight seap and front fender question.

I'm going to be doing a 2nd gen SC1/2 front end swap onto my 3rd gen SW2, but I think I may actually snag a set of 3rd gen SC2 headlights to use instead of the 2nd gen ones.

Considering I don't have any of the 2nd gen parts yet (haven't seen any at my local jy), would I be able to use the 3rd gen fenders for the swap with a 2nd gen hood and front bumper cover?

The reason I'm looking at the 3rd gen headlights is because I like the idea of blacking out the headlight housing, but the 2nd gen headlights are practically entirely reflector, and you don't want to paint the functional reflectors. On the other hand, the 3rd gen headlights have circular reflectors instead of rectangular ones, giving more surface to black out outside the reflectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wizerdwolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wizerdwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wizerdwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Headlight seap and front fender question.

If you use 3rd gen SC headlights, you kinda rather need to use a 3rd gen SC hood too. They have that silly/stupid raised eyebrow thing going on, pretty sure it interferes with the 2nd gen hood at least a little bit.

The hard part of the swap is cutting the fenders in the same spot and then gluing them back together, I'm not sure anyone's found a legit permanent solution for it yet (sure, lasts 2-3 years but then all the bondo/paint work has to be redone...).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
wizerdwolf

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
If you use 3rd gen SC headlights, you kinda rather need to use a 3rd gen SC hood too. They have that silly/stupid raised eyebrow thing going on, pretty sure it interferes with the 2nd gen hood at least a little bit.

The hard part of the swap is cutting the fenders in the same spot and then gluing them back together, I'm not sure anyone's found a legit permanent solution for it yet (sure, lasts 2-3 years but then all the bondo/paint work has to be redone...).
I have seen others use the 2nd gen hood with the 3rd gen headlights, and that's what I'd prefer to do (I don't like how it looks raised, either). I just wanted to verify if the 3rd gen fenders would line up right with everything else.

As for splicing the fenders, a pretty good solution is found in plastic welding the sections together. I have an idea for how I might make the process work and currently intend to make a video of the process, if ever I can find the 2nd gen parts. May have to go up to Orlando next paycheck because I think I've seen some 2nd gens pop up online in junkyard inventories.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wizerdwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
wizerdwolf

2001 SW2

Gah, I don't suppose there's a way to rename the thread, is there? I quickly typed out it out on my phone while on break at work, and didn't notice the typo in the title. I meant to say "swap", not "seap".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Headlight swap and front fender question.

I don't believe there is a way unless Charlie sees this and makes the edit.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #6
wizerdwolf

2001 SW2
Default Re: Headlight swap and front fender question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I don't believe there is a way unless Charlie sees this and makes the edit.
Oh well, the confusion of people wondering about my headlight "seap" will be amusing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!