SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Bearded1mx3
Bearded1mx3 will become famous soon enough

Default Weird Oil Problem

So I've noticed I got alot of oil coming out of the valve cover and into my intake via that angled vent line that goes from valve cover to intake. It's on the right side of the cover. With out the PCV valve. Any idea why this is and out to stop this because I'm about to disconnect it and plug it all up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bearded1mx3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bearded1mx3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bearded1mx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Weird Oil Problem

You'll get more answers on the S-Series General or S-Series Tech forums. You are posting in the lower-traffic Mods forum, and people rarely mod their S series any more.

Click on the link to the left of the Mods forum at the top of your screen to see the other forums (pic attached)

That vent from the air intake feeds clean air into your system when there is negative pressure in the crank case. When there is positive pressure, the extra air (and oil mist) vents out the PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation).

You are developing positive pressure in your crankcase but it is not going out the PCV valve and being sucked back in at the air intake. Instead, it is going out your negative pressure side.

If it is an OEM PCV valve, remove your PCV and clean it out, make sure it rattles freely, and the line is not plugged with oil or crud. Better yet, look up the fixed orifice PCV valve numbers and replace your current PCV with one of those.

I mentioned OEM because a lot of the aftermarket PCV valves are not tensioned appropriately for the Saturn (one-size fits all does not always work) and have been proven in some cases to cause more oil loss. If it is aftermarket or unknown, just go ahead and replace with a fixed orifice unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (149.1 KB, 5 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Bearded1mx3
Bearded1mx3 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Weird Oil Problem

Ur right about the posting here thing. Didnt think about that. And yeah I was thinking about checking the PCV y
Thanx for the heads up on getting a different one tho. I planned on just grabbing one from autozone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bearded1mx3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bearded1mx3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bearded1mx3 is offline   Reply With Quote