SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
Upstate Saturn
Upstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really nice

2001 SL2
Default ABS light stays on and no power to radio

I picked my 2001 SL2 manual transmission up from the shop after having the cracked intake manifold replaced. The ABS light came on and stayed on, so I went back and the mechanic told me the code showed "ABS low voltage". I didn't think to ask if there was a number for it, although he's got a large and fancy scanner (compared to the ones at parts stores). I scheduled with the shop to return next week to get the ABS light / system problem fixed.

After driving for about 10 more minutes, I lost power to the radio. It happened just as I got back to work, so don't know if any more electrical excitement is in store for me or not.

Is it possible these issues are related? I know there is an issue with the interior fuse box getting a melted connection, and the chime light / radio connection, but in all my reading here I haven't come across any ABS light / radio related issues.

Although I won't be doing the work myself, it's very helpful to get input from all the knowledgeable people here, and my mechanic is fine if I can give him additional information (without telling him what to do! ). Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2001 SL2 manual - original owner - remanufactured engine at 228k miles, December 2015
1992 SL1 - bought used in '93, totaled in '00 at 170k miles, drove it cross-country a lot!

Last edited by Upstate Saturn; 07-06-2018 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: {typo}

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Upstate Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Upstate Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Upstate Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: ABS light stays on and no power to radio

Unrelated issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Saturn View Post
I picked my 2001 SL2 manual transmission up from the shop after having the cracked intake manifold replaced. The ABS light came on and stayed on, so I went back and the mechanic told me the code showed "ABS low voltage". I didn't think to ask if there was a number for it, although he's got a large and fancy scanner (compared to the ones at parts stores). I scheduled with the shop to return next week to get the ABS light / system problem fixed.

After driving for about 10 more minutes, I lost power to the radio. It happened just as I got back to work, so don't know if any more electrical excitement is in store for me or not.

Is it possible these issues are related? I know there is an issue with the interior fuse box getting a melted connection, and the chime light / radio connection, but in all my reading here I haven't come across any ABS light / radio related issues.

Although I won't be doing the work myself, it's very helpful to get input from all the knowledgeable people here, and my mechanic is fine if I can give him additional information (without telling him what to do! ). Thanks for any advice you can give me.
The only thing power related that is remotely common is the ignition switch. That still runs to the I/P wiring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
Upstate Saturn
Upstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really nice

2001 SL2

Thanks as always for the fast replies.

What does the low voltage code for the ABS mean?

2001 SL2 manual - original owner - remanufactured engine at 228k miles, December 2015
1992 SL1 - bought used in '93, totaled in '00 at 170k miles, drove it cross-country a lot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Upstate Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Saturn View Post
What does the low voltage code for the ABS mean?
For whatever reason, the abs light turning on with zero abs issues (last time it passed its own self tests at ignition on time and then during initial drive off when the zinging sound is heard that indicates the final abs test of its motor as the system goes into standby mode while driving, indicates the abs is enabled and ready. When the abs light turns on and stays on, abs is no longer available and does not affect braking. Brakes work as they always have and without abs simply allows brakes to lock up when traction is lost in one or several wheels just like the old days before abs became standard on virtually every car, truck and suv. The shop telling you the error code is for low voltage may be a hint that electrical system voltage is lower than normal but not detected with the battery light. An unusual but beneficial effect like the canary in the mine before gas detectors were invented. Canaries died from asphyxiation from carbon monoxide before coal miners choked on excess carbon monoxide. The abs may not be faulty as much as it may be pointing to electrical system under voltage.

Did you check battery/alternator voltages and drive belt tension?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
Upstate Saturn

2001 SL2

Just to follow up - it turns out it was a badly made connection at the alternator. My mechanic fixed it at no charge, which was a nice break. There have been a few other issues I have found that demonstrate that the people who installed my remanufactured engine didn't do a great job, but I moved about 5 hours north (from rural SC to Raleigh, NC), so that's history now.

I like the mechanic I found here. It's a little hole in the wall place where I can go under the lift and have a look around if I want to, and I don't get talked down to because I'm a woman, which is one of the few ways in the world that you can piss me off!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Good to hear it is fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote